SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#509605 - 02/18/24 12:13 PM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Last tip… Part Mutes are externally addressable via MIDI or USB. If this is something you feel you’d really like constant access to without menu diving and scrolling, a cheap USB pad bank could be programmed to send the codes, maybe even light up to show you Part status.

I haven’t done this myself, I tend to set things up in advance (never really have liked running an arranger old school style!), but I’m pretty sure it’s doable. Check the Midi implementation. You definitely want Part Mute, not Part Volume because turning the volume to zero still has the voice using polyphony even though not sounding…

#509610 - 02/20/24 03:32 PM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I appreciate your wisdom Diki! Since I had no intention of ever playing the tracks that I muted, I just went into Style Composer and deleted the content. Then I used Makeup Tools to tame the bass level so that I can run "100" level with all tracks on. Now when I select another style everything plays as I would expect.

I already knew about designating tracks for Track Mute. But I would have never thought to look in the DBeam as a way of muting parts! I don't really do very much with the DBeam. Perhaps it's the lighting in my dining room, but I've always found it hard to get a consistent response.

Re: muting parts via MIDI... in a general way, can you please describe how this is done? (I assume that you're referring to STYLE parts, and not Upper 1 & 2, Lower, etc.) Because the BK-9 has sliders, I probably wouldn't use external gear with it. But being able to toggle the tracks individually on the BK-5 and BK-7m might come in handy. Thanks again for your help!!

#509611 - 02/20/24 06:06 PM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

My main thing with the D-Beam is to mute all ACC Parts, drop down to just drums and bass. Very handy if playing piano!

Is there a bright light shining into the D-Beam? Is it possible to locate the lights away from the BK? I’ve also noticed some difficulty with the D-beam if another keyboard is above it, fairly close. It likes about 4” of clear space…

I believe the codes for Part Mutes are sys-ex, they should be in the MIDI Implementation .pdf on p.4.

Another thing I like to do is use the Track Mute button to mute ACC1, which is usually the piano Part (iirc). That way I can play straight piano for a tune’s head (and run the chord sequencer to record the chords), then start the chord sequencer and turn on ACC1 (to pick up the piano ACC) with the Part Mute sw. and I can switch to a lead sound (saxes, jazz guitar etc) to solo without the piano part being missing.

BTW, don’t forget to try playing full piano with the Dynamic Arranger turned on… Used subtly, it’s great for getting some life into the drums and guitar Parts if they change samples as you play harder!

#509612 - 02/20/24 06:31 PM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

BTW, the sliders won’t work as mutes for style parts. Just as volume. So the Part is still using polyphony.

If you have an iPad, there are several apps that allow you to design control surfaces with pad areas, sliders, buttons etc which would allow you to control many things buried in the edit menus, and send sys-ex (like those Style Part Mute codes).

The Roland BK9 Editor app is okay, but it only helps with the Keyboard Parts. To get at those style Parts, you’ll have to design your own layout on an app…

#509614 - 02/20/24 07:15 PM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Unfortunately, yes, there is a high-hat in the corner of my dining room ceiling that shines right down into the D-Beam. Problem is, if I turn those lights off, then I can't see what I'm doing!

You give me too much credit, Diki. I'm a very "vanilla" arranger player, the type that gives the rest of you a bad name! RH single-note melody, LH chords (and often "cheat" chords played with one or two keys.) Nothing I do is likely to challenge the polyphony, so that's not a concern. I will look into the iPad apps though.

Unfortunately, my 7-year old iPad died last week. I left it charging, and it refused to turn on. Even the guy at the Apple store couldn't bring it back to life. I used it for all of my sheet music with a foot pedal to turn the pages. So It's been back to paper music for this week, until the new one arrives. I'm sure it just needs a new battery, but we live in a disposable society, so...

#509620 - 02/21/24 11:41 AM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

The EU is suing Apple over how unrepairable newer Apple products have become. Apple takes that market seriously, so perhaps the future will bring products a bit less disposable than they currently are…

Your new iPad will be quite a monster compared to that 7 year old one! Time to take a look at some of the synth and lead sound apps out there. My 6th gen. iPad (no spring chicken itself!) easily runs the SWAM stuff (amazing saxes and solo instruments) and a plethora of classic synth emulations, and is pretty easy to integrate into the Performance structure of the BK series.

#509625 - 02/22/24 01:42 AM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: TedS]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By TedS
Unfortunately, yes, there is a high-hat in the corner of my dining room ceiling that shines right down into the D-Beam. Problem is, if I turn those lights off, then I can't see what I'm doing!

You give me too much credit, Diki. I'm a very "vanilla" arranger player, the type that gives the rest of you a bad name! RH single-note melody, LH chords (and often "cheat" chords played with one or two keys.) Nothing I do is likely to challenge the polyphony, so that's not a concern. I will look into the iPad apps though.

Unfortunately, my 7-year old iPad died last week. I left it charging, and it refused to turn on. Even the guy at the Apple store couldn't bring it back to life. I used it for all of my sheet music with a foot pedal to turn the pages. So It's been back to paper music for this week, until the new one arrives. I'm sure it just needs a new battery, but we live in a disposable society, so...

It's relatively easy to change a battery in an iPad with the right tools, such as those here iFixit

Bill

#509631 - 02/24/24 11:47 AM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
It's relatively easy to change a battery in an iPad with the right tools, such as those here iFixit

Bill

Problem is, he hasn’t really got a diagnosis that it’s definitely ONLY the battery that has failed. Without that, I doubt I would personally spend the time and money on replacing it on the off chance that’s the only problem.

#509632 - 02/24/24 01:09 PM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Thanks gents! I had it charging on a table and noticed walking by that the screen was illuminated (which was odd.) Later that day when I went to use it, it was completely dead. I read all of the tips, holding down buttons, etc.; no matter what I couldn't get it to turn on. Called Apple support, they had me plug it into a PC, no communication. Took it to the Apple store, they couldn't rescusitate it and pronounced it dead. My guess is that while charging the battery developed a "whisker"; basically a short-circuit.

I researched repair and battery replacement. Apparently it's very difficult to open the case and the battery was not designed to be removable, someone characterized the difficulty as 7 out of 10. One site suggested that a professional repair would cost more than $500, which is a lot to invest in a device that was already 7 years old. So I bought a new (gently used) one for $875. If it lasts me another 7 years, that's better than lugging around a lot of books and making mistakes while I fumble to turn pages. Plus I use the iPad for other hobbies, and it serves as backup to my laptop.

For what I do, I definitely didn't need the speed of the new M2 processor. It bothered me to put it in the trash, but like so many things today, they just aren't designed to be repaired or maintained long-term.

Edited by TedS (02/24/24 01:12 PM)

#509646 - 02/27/24 12:02 PM Re: BK-9 shortcut to unmute all rhythm (style) tracks? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

Wait until you start using polyphonic iPad instruments! You’re going to need all the power you can get!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online