SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#508406 - 06/08/23 04:41 PM 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
With the current inflation we should change it to 'DOLLARS from Heaven'. Anyway, there have been so many 'takes' on this song since it was introduced (by Bing Crosby) in 1936. I'm sure most of you remember that smile smile. I used to crack up on the hilarious version by the late, great James Moody (BENNY'S from Heaven) - if you haven't heard it, check it out, you'll get a good laugh (I saw him do it twice, the last time on the Big Island of Hawaii @ 2003. We used to do a comic version (well, we thought it was funny) of it back in the '70's. I can't remember the (substituted) verses we used but it started out--
'I grow pot in my back yard
Sweet Marijuana
Sell my clothes to feed my nose
Sweet Marijuana ....etc.
Always got a good laugh.

I tried playing it the other day to see if I still remembered it. I recorded it after a couple of practice runs. It's full of glitches (so no need to point them out smile ) but I decided to post it anyway in the hope that others might post some of their music. I can't speak for others but I don't really care if it's 'arranger' music or not, it will still inform others on the forum what type or style of music you like. Remember, different strokes for different folks.

https://app.box.com/s/3bhqh3jse26lla3rkdg9gouij96z0ntz

chas

#508407 - 06/09/23 01:27 AM Re: 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
As usual, Chas, I really like that laid back style of yours. You must be very good at hiding glitches because I didn't notice any. You are right, we need more music demos(myself included)

Thanks Chas.

#508408 - 06/09/23 05:29 AM Re: 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
You must be very good at hiding glitches because I didn't notice any.

Bernie, the secret is to have so many glitches that no single one stands out smile smile. And yes, let's get some of those demos posted, glitches and all. Me, I like standards/oldies but any style or genre' will do (Terry usually has very nice song selections). As politicians like to say "Let's get to work" (although they rarely do smile ).

chas

#508409 - 06/09/23 10:04 AM Re: 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
"Slicker than snot on a door knob"...that's what I say. Used to play this little gem with "visitors to NARCO here in Lexington in the 60's. One of them was "Benny man", who was in for a methadone treatment.

For my tastes, as usual, you "NAILED IT"!

Par for the course, friend.

Russ

for

#508410 - 06/09/23 11:29 AM Re: 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

#508411 - 06/09/23 12:42 PM Re: 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Online   content

) As politicians like to say "Let's get to work" (although they rarely do smile ).

chas[/quote]

That does it Chas. I ain't no stinkin politician. Wait, you'll see ha ha

#508412 - 06/09/23 12:50 PM Re: 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Online   content

This is not an arranger song, but a start until I get organized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hrp7UaCnuw

#508413 - 06/09/23 03:11 PM Re: 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Bernie, love that harmonica; spent a year trying to master one (to no avail). To this day, one of my favorite performances was/is a 12 yr old 'Lil' Stevie Wonder' playing (live) 'Fingertips'. The other thing I like about your playing and singing is that, unlike some musicians, you know the difference between 'Syncopation' and just 'rushing the beat'. I'm not sure that can be taught; I think you either feel it or you don't.

I listened to about four of your youtube vids. My only suggestion would be to maybe change the variation more often (ie. between verse and chorus and/or bridge). Loved the song choices; nice variation. Keep 'em coming (and encourage some of these other lazy guys to post something smile ).

chas

#508414 - 06/10/23 02:29 AM Re: 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Online   content

Thank you Chas. Do you mean change the lead instrument more often ?

#508415 - 06/10/23 02:37 AM Re: 'Pennies' won't hack it anymore [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Online   content

Never mind Chas, it just struck me what you meant. Now that I am aware of it, will come up with alternate riffs, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online