SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#508240 - 05/09/23 01:59 PM Learning Piano
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I bought a Korg 88 note piano keyboard and going to use some of my new found leisure time to study it. I used to read both clefs, although rather slowly on the bass. I could try and relearn standard piano music, but it is too time consuming at age 82. Strict reading is too individualized and rather use the chord method. The choosing of the proper inversions and progressions is the first chore. I can choose a suitable left hand rhythm, but choosing the proper progression up or down is a question I presume changes with the song.

I know what the purists will say, but with thousands of songs I can play with an arranger, I want to take advantage of the years I have put in. I found a piano chord course I am looking into.

I know some of you have adapted somewhat to piano, and would like to hear your opinions.

#508241 - 05/10/23 12:32 AM Re: Learning Piano [Re: Bernie9]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You're never too old.

Bill

#508243 - 05/10/23 04:44 AM Re: Learning Piano [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie, what’s the course you’re looking into. I’ve dabbled with a few online.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#508244 - 05/10/23 05:57 AM Re: Learning Piano [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Rikki

I was hoping you would respond. The course PIANO 21 DAYS by Jaques Hopkins. The course, upon further examination, is geared more for absolute music neophytes. I already know how to find middle C and what a chord is. The tail end starts showing you to add arpeggiation, or the like, to a block chord for movement. Left hand manipulation is really all I need. The coarse is too expensive for me at $970. I guess instructors can't make any money on abbreviated courses, as I would have to start in kindergarten .

#508245 - 05/10/23 06:57 AM Re: Learning Piano [Re: abacus]
Bernie9 Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
You're never too old.

Bill

I know it Bill, it was just a lazy excuse.

#508247 - 05/10/23 10:22 AM Re: Learning Piano [Re: Bernie9]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
What about a piano teacher. Take a few lessons to get you started. A book that has been helpful to me is, "Tonal and Rhythmic Principles", by John Mehegan. It is all about jazz improvisation. As other have said, it is never to late. Have fun learning the piano.

#508248 - 05/10/23 10:35 AM Re: Learning Piano [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Good for you, Bernie. You do know how to keep the juices flowing. I went down this path a month or so ago (digital piano) and although I have an acoustic piano, it just wasn't inspiring me to play it much. Maybe because it's in the living room (??-psychological?) or MAYBE--after half a lifetime of playing organs an synths, I just need something with some electricity in it. It's like flying a glider; there's no engine to pull you out of trouble if the thermals go bye-bye. However, you WILL learn A LOT about airmanship in a hurry smile smile. My biggest problem is the (artificially) weighted keybed (not that great on the FP-e50, I probably should have listened to Bill and gotten the FP-90x with the (much) better keybed. I keep missing notes in well-known and well practiced runs and arpeggios, that I play with ease on the organ or a semi-weighted keybed. Through practice, I have gotten better though (requires more concentration).

The FP-e50 suits my purpose though, as I use the drum patterns (which can be played seperately from the rest of the (meager) accompaniment parts). They are a help with practice and also helps with your timing. I use the Bk7m the same way in my rehearsal room with my organ.

In any case, have fun, and concentrate on the things you feel weakest in. My 'left hand' is a problem as well. I can't play a bass line and I can't just 'comp' either. I have to start thinking like a SOLO pianist. Soooo, I guess we'll fight this fight together. Keep us informed of your progress (you too, Rikki).

chas

Edited by cgiles (05/10/23 10:37 AM)

#508249 - 05/10/23 12:47 PM Re: Learning Piano [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thank you for your replies. I am gathering information on how I can learn just what I am weak in, and not go through superfluous and repetitive exercises on material I already know. I believe in working hard, but smart. I had a piano teacher in 1954 that would rap my knuckles and grab my cheek. No more of that sh...

My korg keyboard will arrive tomorrow with semi weighted keys and three velocity settings, along with organs, strings, etc. The fully weighted keys are too stiff for me

I will let you know how I make out.
Bernie

#508250 - 05/10/23 05:10 PM Re: Learning Piano [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Hi Rikki

I was hoping you would respond. The course PIANO 21 DAYS by Jaques Hopkins. The course, upon further examination, is geared more for absolute music neophytes. I already know how to find middle C and what a chord is. The tail end starts showing you to add arpeggiation, or the like, to a block chord for movement. Left hand manipulation is really all I need. The coarse is too expensive for me at $970. I guess instructors can't make any money on abbreviated courses, as I would have to start in kindergarten .

Hi Bernie, that sounds expensive.
I joined Pianote a couple of years ago, did it for few months. She has a heap of utube clips you could check out to see if it’s what you may want.
I think they have a trial period, or at least they used to.

Half tempted to give it another go now that I have 88 notes on my Korg.

Another one I found the other day Piano with Jonny. More so jazz based. Heap of utube clips to checkout. I think a 1 or 2 week trial period. Heap of stuff on chords.

The other one I used to enjoy was called Piano with Willy.
I used to be awake half the night in bed with a set of ear plugs and iPad listening to the guy or joining live forums. It was really very interesting.

I think it’s now called JazzEdge Academy

https://jazzedge.academy/credits/

They seem to have a new system going something about credits. Got an email this morning about it.

It used to be a case of you choose what you want to learn.
Definitely with Lisa’s Pianote, and with Jazz Edge. I’ve spent time on both sites.
Pianote used to be if you wanted to play pop , ballads , though there’s probably more choice by now..

JazzEdge I joined because I wanted to play standards. He used to have a great course where you’d work on the same song starting from simple chord shells, to filling it out to quite a complex arrangement.

Not sure if he has utube clips, but there are clips on his site for the courses.

What I normally do is sign up for a monthly if possible, work out what I’m interested in. Download the music provided. Work out roughly how to learn the songs, rather than spend days , weeks whatever learning a song thoroughly. I watch the clips of the music I’m interested in, over and over I stay for a month or 2. I then learn the songs thoroughly in my own time . A month , 2 or 3 months later, I join again and find some new material to learn. The idea for me is how to play the songs ie tips and tricks I can pick up , that will work for numerous songs.
On Pianote I did a course , something bizzare like 500 songs in 5 days. I saved the sheet music, I watched the lessons ( they didn’t teach 500 songs ) just a method of being able to play them.
The only reason for signing up for 12 months or long term would be if you want to keep progress on what you’re learning, ie you’ve finished 50% of this course, and 20% of that, I don’t need to spend $100’s per year so that I can know how far I’ve progressed.
Work out in the first month or 2 what problems you may have and ask the questions during that period.

Enjoy

P.s. I’ve also tried some of the apps. Don’t waste your time, it’s more fun when there’s a human involved.

My first piano teacher told me I was too old to learn at the ripe old age of 20.
I didn’t want to become a concert pianist, I just wanted to be able to play, something , anything.
We parted ways a few months later. Boring as, I was learning classical tunes that 6 year olds played.
Thank goodness we’ve come a long , long , way. There must be plenty of people out there like me who just want to play for fun. Don’t necessarily want a music career, just be able to play an instrument and have some fun.😀

Edited by rikkisbears (05/10/23 10:06 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#508251 - 05/10/23 11:06 PM Re: Learning Piano [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
I just signed up with Pianote for a free week.
Before you sign up for anything , send me an email.
I have some sort of voucher I can share, don’t know if it will work, as I’m just in a trial period at the moment. But worth a try to see if it does.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online