SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#507981 - 03/16/23 08:19 PM Set startup performance on the BK9?
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I've read and re-read the manual. Is there any way to make the BK9 load a specific performance from the USB stick at startup? My E-50 had a dedicated field for this, but the word "startup" doesn't even appear in the BK9 manual, nor in the addenda that I have.

I know that in the Performance Edit menu, there is an option "Save as Default." But this saves the current parameter settings as defaults upon startup (for example, the split point, chord recognition mode, etc.) However, in my testing it did not store the currently selected performance as the one that is loaded when you boot the keyboard.

So what am I missing? Can the BK models do what the E-50 could? I know that unlike the E-series, you can't store user performances, user rhythms, etc in internal memory. Perhaps that has something to do with it...? Thanks all!

#508004 - 03/17/23 08:46 PM Re: Set startup performance on the BK9? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What parameters are not saved in the ‘Save as Default’? I know it saves the style, keyboard Parts, splits, tempo, effects, etc..

If I remember correctly, the only parameter it wouldn’t save is the preset/auto setting for tempo when going from one style to another without stopping.

Essentially, you ‘copy’ the currently selected Performance to the ‘Default’ startup Performance, which is the only Performance that IS stored internally (it will load that Performance even if no stick is in the arranger). However, iirc, you cannot use a User Style for the Default startup Performance. This makes sense, as it would be prevented from loading if the stick was removed.

Perhaps that’s what you’re having problems with? The Default Performance MUST refer to a ROM style, not a User Style or an SMF or .Wav/mp3 file…

#508014 - 03/19/23 07:50 PM Re: Set startup performance on the BK9? [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Thanks Diki. I'll take another look at the built-in factory performance list (I think it might be called Music Assistant?) However, it sounds like the BK9 really CAN'T do what the E-50 could. I suppose that's one price of not letting users save things to the built-in memory.

I work with software all the time and it's actually not technically challenging to allow specifying a style from the USB stick. The OS could check, and if a USB stick is not loaded, if the style name is different, etc., it could just display a warning message and load the first factory style instead. Perhaps if the BK9 had remained in production longer or sold in larger numbers, an OS update would have added this possibility. :Sigh:

#508021 - 03/21/23 03:33 PM Re: Set startup performance on the BK9? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Other than starting up with a ROM style loaded, I can’t think of one thing that differentiates the E50 from the BK9 functionally with respect to turning it on.

But the list of what the BK9 can do that the E50 can’t is long, long, long!

Took me a while to transition from the G/E OS, but once I embraced the strengths, there’s next to nothing I miss. Having 999 Performances available without having to reload a UPS is major if you have more than 128 songs. Not that I have 1000 songs, but what it allows is multiple UPG’s for one song, allowing you far more creative control over each section of a song. This allows you to hit one button (or an FC7 switch) and TOTALLY reconfigure the keyboard Parts for solos, choruses etc..

Once I embraced the system, my time hitting buttons versus playing went to almost zero, and as a busy two handed player, that’s major!

But throw in the chord sequencer, the audio backing and recording, the Key Audio stuff (think of it as audio multipads) the amazing SN guitars and the VK organ, it’s no contest. Yes, there’s a few things that I REALLY wish the dev team had thought about… I wish a Performance loaded up a stored Chord Sequence and a .jpg for a proper chart display in an attached display. But in the big scheme of things, starting up with a ROM style only is pretty insignificant, imho.

The BK9 was something of a last gasp for Roland, and some of the planned for features never materialized (there are hooks inside for expansion sounds that never got developed) and some of the best features like the Key audio had zero factory content, which would have pushed it ahead of its competitors had it been provided.

But as is, out of the box, it is IMHO the greatest arranger/backing keyboard Roland ever made, and featherweight to boot! Don’t worry too much about minor stuff the E50 could do. Enjoy the amazing stuff the BK9 CAN do! 🎹♥️

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online