SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#507133 - 11/27/22 11:09 AM Can Roland EA7 play audio styles from USB? [wav]
tombikadam Offline

like the new Yamaha A5000?

#507136 - 11/28/22 07:57 AM Re: Can Roland EA7 play audio styles from USB? [wav] [Re: tombikadam]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No. There are ways to do some of the things that the A5000 does, but the EA7 does them in completely different ways.

The multipad section can read audio loops from the USB stick, so that could do your ethnic percussion and drums, or melodic loops as long as you don’t want transposition, but the EA7’s weakness is that it’s sampler (for ethnic instruments it doesn’t already have or do well) is a mere 128MB (yes, that’s megabytes!) in size, compared to the 1GB that the Yamaha offers (but I'm not sure if the memory is for only official Yamaha expansion packs or whether it’s free memory for you to make your own samples). Mind you, back in the day, 128MB was the memory size of a fully loaded Kurzweil or Akai sampler, and content creators worked hard to make their samples efficient. Nowadays, with multi-GB sized memories, less attention is paid to data compactness. If you want to squeeze a lot of sounds into 1GB, you might try looking at some of the 90’s libraries for Akai, Kurzweil, Roland etc.

I haven’t looked too closely at an A5000 before, it looks rather like a PSR SX900 with some extra sounds for ethnic musics…

#507137 - 11/28/22 08:06 AM Re: Can Roland EA7 play audio styles from USB? [wav] [Re: tombikadam]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And if you are thinking that the A5000 is doing all (or at least drums percussion, bass and guitars) audio styles like a Ketron Event, I am afraid you have misread the specs.

The only thing that seems to differentiate the A5000 from an SX900 seems to be some more ethnic drum kits and sounds, and more styles for Middle Eastern countries.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online