SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#506356 - 08/20/22 07:36 AM BK5 and BK7m
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Anyone have any insight into the differences / similarities between the Roland BK5 and BK7m? I know I can download the specs but wondering if anyone has hands on experience with both. Thanks in advance rocker

Edited by Bill Lewis (08/20/22 07:57 AM)

#506362 - 08/21/22 09:27 PM Re: BK5 and BK7m [Re: Bill Lewis]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I have a BK-7m, and it's an amazing module. The display could be bigger, but it occupies a unique space in the market. In that sense it's amazing piece of gear that was well worth its street price when it went out of production.

I also briefly owned a BK-5. It was nice, but IMO not as nice as the E-50 that preceded it, so I kept my E-50 and have no regrets. The biggest plusses of the BK-5 vs. the BK-7m are a larger screen, and an on-board Style Composer.

The BK-7m does have Roland's Makeup Tools for revoicing, etc. But there isn't a built-in way to create styles from scratch. A primitive "Style Converter" software was bundled with the -7m. As I recall, it didn't have a way to insert the "Alteration Mode" messages which establish the upper and lower note limits (aka "wrap range") for each style part. These alteration mode events also determine whether a Roland style part transposes "in parallel" or uses a "close" voicing, which makes a lot of difference in the resulting sound! Trivial to most here, but if you're into style editing, you'll prefer the BK-5.

You don't mention the E-A7, which is a couple of years newer and probably the last true Roland arranger. Compared to the BK-5, it has two non-touch displays and the possibility of multipads (you have to develop your own sequences for the pads.) However, the BK-5 is still available new from major online retailers at a slightly lower cost.

Roland is my preferred brand. The styles are highly playable and their chord fingering is easier than any other brand, without penalizing highly skilled players. It's a shame that they have pretty well abandoned the arranger market. IMO the BK-7m, BK-5, and E-A7 are all good instruments and worth owning.

Edited by TedS (08/21/22 09:40 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#506366 - 08/22/22 12:21 PM Re: BK5 and BK7m [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks for the reply and info. I should of mentioned I already own a BK9 and a BK7m. I have a 61 key controller for the BK7m and was wondering if it would just be easier to get a BK5.. Mostly for small in/out quick gigs.
Not familiar at all with the E-50. Does it accept a thumb drive and Styles from a BK9 ? E-A7 is also on the radar but just collecting info right now
thanks again

#506367 - 08/22/22 12:57 PM Re: BK5 and BK7m [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I also have a BK9 and a BK7M, and have done a fair amount of time on a BK5 that a friend owned.

To be quite frank, I was deeply unimpressed with the BK5, I felt it’s action was cheap and plasticky, the buttons felt fairly cheap, and it’s overall sound felt a bit thinner than my personal Roland’s.

Personally, I do not think that the BK5 would make a strong master controller for a module. And it has no sliders or definable buttons, so it isn’t much use there either.

I am a little confused, though… With a BK9 being only 20 pounds weight, why would you want to use something far less capable, far less good sounding, and with a much inferior action? Yes, it is a hair longer, but still plenty compact, and the weight difference is negligible.

I use my module exclusively as a sound module for my keytar rig, and even there I badly miss the chord sequencer, VK organ section and SuperNatural guitars. I’m not seeing a compelling use for a BK5 if you already have a BK9…

#506370 - 08/23/22 09:51 AM Re: BK5 and BK7m [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

I think what I’d do if you are looking to have a spare backup keyboard or need an arranger in two different locations would be to sell the BK7-m and look for a used good condition BK9.

That way, a) you have a backup, b) you have 100% data equivalency.

There are a lot of sounds and kits in the BK9 the BK5 doesn’t have, so you are likely to need to do quite a bit of work in the Makeup Tools, and you’ll have to completely redo your Performance Lists, because the BK5 cannot read BK9 UPS’s…

There’s a lot to be said for not having to do everything twice!

#506371 - 08/23/22 10:46 AM Re: BK5 and BK7m [Re: Bill Lewis]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I'm not sure what Bill's goals are. The BK-9 lacks built-in speakers. If it's truly a room-sized gig, then a BK-5 or E-A7 could be the answer. But with only 12 watts of amplification and no built-in subwoofer, for anything larger he would need an external amp anyway. As you pointed out, the BK-9 is remarkably light for a semi-pro action 76-key synth.

Edited by TedS (08/23/22 10:46 AM)

#506372 - 08/23/22 01:29 PM Re: BK5 and BK7m [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Maybe I'm just over thinking things. My BK9 is great but in its Gator Pro case its a bit heavy and bulky. Even though its a semi rigid case I think it weighs almost as much as the keyboard but the protection it gives is worth it.
I've got a 61 key controller for the Bk7m ( I also like using the BK7m with my FP90 piano at home so I'd never sell it.) but thats two ac adaptors, midi cable, and a two tier stand.
Mostly something for a cocktail hour or quick senior gig or a short jam. For sound I have a JBL Eon10 which is amazing for its size and weight so I don't care about onboard speakers. Like I said maybe I'm just over thinking things.

#506375 - 08/24/22 12:21 PM Re: BK5 and BK7m [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

I have an early version of this hard case - iSeries 5014-6 Narrow 76-note Keyboard Case from SKB, and although it looks like on paper it won’t fit, you take out the padding and it just squeezes in. If you have an oversized case, maybe this is something to try.

Yes, it weighs as much as the keyboard, but it is a hard case, ATA legal (although without the padding, I’m not sure I’d be comfortable letting baggage handlers throw it around!), and a soft case weighs very little less (SKB’s soft 76 weighs almost the same!). Bottom line, unless you are comfortable putting your BK9 in a garbage bag, you are not going to save yourself much weight at the cost of losing almost all worthwhile protection.

A BK5 only weighs 3.5lbs less than the BK9, and by saving so little, you lose so much. The microphone in (now you need to carry a mixer with effects), the pro action (other than the lack of aftertouch, I’m of the opinion the action is easily as good as a PA4x), you lose the expression pedal input (only one input, so either sustain or expression, not both), no SN sounds, no VK organ, no chord sequencer, no key audio stuff (the BK9’s answer to multipads), no independent mastering section for keyboard and style/song sections (so playing loudly doesn’t duck the backing), no FC7 input, the list goes on and on and on…

It just sounds like an enormous step back to save yourself maybe 10lbs at the kerb. And yes, without a sub, I would never inflict those speakers on anyone! So between the sub and a mixer, I bet you end up carrying more than you are already…

I have a backup BK9. I honestly don’t think I will ever buy another keyboard to gig with. This is as good as it gets at the weight point..!

The minute I find myself looking at something else, I make myself learn a new tune. Now my time is actually productive!

#506376 - 08/24/22 12:28 PM Re: BK5 and BK7m [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks Diki

You talked me down off the ledge. No real benefit to the BK5. Love your last line.
"The minute I find myself looking at something else, I make myself learn a new tune. Now my time is actually productive!"

Great advice !

#506387 - 08/26/22 03:49 PM Re: BK5 and BK7m [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

About the only thing that tempts me at the moment is hooking up the BK9 to my iPad, and using the amazing modeled instruments from SWAM (the saxes and the solo strings are absolutely as good as it gets!), and some of the virtual synth stuff like the OBXa and Memorymoog emulators.

But there’s very little weak stuff in the BK9, only stuff I would really like is more SN guitars (I’d kill for a good Strat and a Les Paul to run through the amp sim!). Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, this is the greatest arranger Roland (and, IMHO, anyone else!) has ever made. What a shame it was the last…

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online