SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#50614 - 12/12/05 04:57 AM Record a song, love it, hate it the next day.
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Have you ever recorded a song or created a style and felt it was good only to listen to it the next day and wondered what was I think of.

John C.

#50615 - 12/12/05 05:16 AM Re: Record a song, love it, hate it the next day.
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
YES YES YES..........Joan

#50616 - 12/12/05 08:12 AM Re: Record a song, love it, hate it the next day.
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Unfortunately, or perhaps, fortunately, I have asked "What was I thinking" far too often ..... .... on the other hand, it's nice to go back and listen to something I've played and/or sang, and say "That sounded pretty darn good" ...
t.

#50617 - 12/12/05 11:11 AM Re: Record a song, love it, hate it the next day.
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Many times! I have floppies of works in progress that go back a few years, and will probably never finish them because I'm not satisfied with the outcome for one reason or another, and can't seem to get myself started on the project again.

I also have many tapes of songs done with a mike from the early days of keyboards, before arrangers or other ways to record a song. When I listen to them now, I sort of cringe and wonder why I ever let someone listen to them. But then again, like Tony, sometimes I find a pearl mixed in with the pebbles and wonder how that happened.

The same feeling comes to me from the early songs I put out on the forum through Bebop's mailing list and the 20 for 1 swap he used to do. Can't recall them now like Ford or GM, but I can only hope folks understand that (hopefully) someday my playing will get markedly better. And in all fairness, I have to attribute most of the improvements to the increased quality of modern Technics keyboards.

#50618 - 12/12/05 06:35 PM Re: Record a song, love it, hate it the next day.
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Sometimes I wonder what I'm trying to do when I listen to some sounds or rhythms I've prepared, but I have more of a problem along the lines of Bud's comment. Way back when I had a KN6000 I recorded a CD of some of my favourite pieces and gave them out to family and friends. Now when I listen to that CD, I'm embarassed at some of my poor playing skills! However, I put a positive spin on this by considering how much my playing has improved - although I'm still a long, long way from the abilities of many of you who have published songs.

#50619 - 12/13/05 03:45 PM Re: Record a song, love it, hate it the next day.
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I wonder if that is true Mike. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and by the same token music sounds as good or bad to the listener and you know you can overdo the sounds and instruments used. Some of the best songs/tunes ever recorded use only one or two basic instruments e.g. Annie's song. Every time I hear that song, I get a shiver down my spine, whereas someone else would perhaps find it despressing or boring. It's really a case of taste.

Having said that, my KN makes my playing sound much better than it really is. My first love is the piano and when I get the 'itchy' fingers and play straight piano it now sounds thin and very amatuer in comparison to the KN with it's enhancements to the piano sound and the lovely rhythms offered.

What I'm trying to say is "don't put yourself down" remember - we play better than those that don't play at all.

Aud (u.K.)

#50620 - 12/13/05 07:16 PM Re: Record a song, love it, hate it the next day.
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Iam not relating to good and bad, but to --
What changes in me the next day? Why do I hear or feel differently 12 hours later. Same keyboard, same room and same volume, yet I hear it with a keener ear.
John C.

#50621 - 12/13/05 08:14 PM Re: Record a song, love it, hate it the next day.
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Recording any song is a rare thing for me to attempt...the desire to be "perfect" first, takes precidence, & perfect does not happen very often in my playing!

AUDREY... Your thoughts are so like mine about so many things musical... Overdoing the number of instruments used in the registration is one of those things...It is about taste...Sometimes I like really BIG sound, sometimes just one lead instrument & mute most of the accompaning sounds....

I also love John Denver's "Annie's Song".... I went to a concert he did up in Oregon after he left her....when his new love was new.....also shed a bucket of tears when he left us... His words & music touched my soul...deeply.

I am working on Christmas music right now with the thought of turning pages in my "Sing-along" book & punching the Panel Memory buttons in order along the way...I will be playing "background music" for a couple of the activities here in my home base R.V. park... a cookie party & a Christmas Eve gift exchange.... Maybe will leave my 7K in our club house & spend Christmas day playing as well.....dinner music... I would rather play than participate in the activities....I can be in my own world....

My goal is to put the whole book of songs in the sequencer & then onto CD's for family memembers... especially my Mom who will be 95 12/31/05. She is in the Washington D.C. area & I am here in S.E. NM...a 3000 mile round trip....I doubt we will have an opportunity to share music any other way again....

As she is VERY critical....I want to do the best I possibly can! (Pah rumpa pum pum)

I too find that often "less is more".... a simple guitar or just a lovely flute with the Warm Pad...(what ever that is)....works great!

I love my 7K & it's versatility! Maybe some day I will really be able to play it well....& record onto CD's some music I really feel good about....

Thanks to all who have shared their thoughts here...All of these comments are helpful in understanding that my thoughts & feelings about my musical abilities & preferences are pretty "normal." I also learn here on this wonderful form that I have a LOT to learn!!!!

ELIZABETH

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online