SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#505987 - 06/19/22 09:38 PM What old R&B style is this? Yamaha? Maybe not.
Beakybird Offline

First: Hi! I used to be a regular on this forum, but some years ago, I started getting really into playing digital grand piano, and then after a few years, I got really into relearning guitar, and now it's songwriting.

I still play the arranger professionally for seniors, currently the Yamaha SX900. Sorry for leaving the party over at Synthzone.

OK, I want to rewrite a song I recorded in 2008 using a PSR-S900 as the sound generator. I lost the whole project file, so I have to start from scratch. I'm looking for the style file I used for this project because I loved the ending - a slap bass ending which sounds a bit like Seinfeld.

I have the song queued up to the last 10 seconds here - ignore the vibraphone that I throw in, then listen to that slap bass line. I thought it was a Yamaha style, but I have hundreds and hundreds of styles, and I can't find it. Could it be a PSR-9000 style.
For all the other parts of the song outside of the ending, the Yamaha ModernR&B style works perfect.

Here's the last 10 seconds of the song: https://soundcloud.com/larry-levin-1/all-the-give-that-you-got?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing#t=3:33

You can back up if you want to hear the rest of the song. I think outside of my electric piano fills, vibraphone, and emulated harmonica playing, everything is generated by the Yamaha style I used.

Edited by Beakybird (06/19/22 09:39 PM)

#505988 - 06/20/22 12:09 AM Re: What old R&B style is this? Yamaha? Maybe not. [Re: Beakybird]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi.

Long time, no see! Nice to see you again.

Try T2/T3/T4 / R&B / KoolFunk ending 1.
It's same style at all those 3 models, but maybe slightly different due to presets and possible changes.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#505991 - 06/20/22 09:36 AM Re: What old R&B style is this? Yamaha? Maybe not. [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

Hi Gunnar! Thanks for your reply! I think you're on the right track that it's an elaborate ending #1, but I have KoolFunk in T2 to T5. Maybe it's KoolFunk from the first Tyros, which I don't have or maybe it's a style from the PSR9000. Does anyone know where I can get the styles from these old keyboards - T1 or PSR9000?

#505995 - 06/20/22 10:42 AM Re: What old R&B style is this? Yamaha? Maybe not. [Re: Beakybird]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Beakybird
...Does anyone know where I can get the styles from these old keyboards - T1 or PSR9000?

Here you are. wink

Attachments
T1 & PSR9K.zip (22 downloads)

"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#506002 - 06/20/22 04:03 PM Re: What old R&B style is this? Yamaha? Maybe not. [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Beakybird Offline

Thanks Gunnar! I'll check it out.

In the meantime, if anyone has a style that has a cool slap bass ending a la Seinfeld, let me know! L

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online