SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#505663 - 05/20/22 01:38 PM My First Video (warts and all )
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Since I am not playing out much since my 17 yr, 3 times a week gig ended, I am trying to learn video. Here is my first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwIAHVXdWvw

#505670 - 05/22/22 07:37 AM Re: My First Video (warts and all ) [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hey Bernie, thank you for uploading your video , I wish more of us would share our work.
Good playing, but I’d like to hear a bit more backing which I think will give you a fuller sound. Just my opinion, so take it for what it ‘s worth….

Edited by montunoman (05/22/22 07:37 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#505672 - 05/22/22 01:10 PM Re: My First Video (warts and all ) [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Paul
God bless you for the comment, the only one in 118 views. You being the master of the Latin genre, I fully agree. I am brand new to video, and didn't realize the importance of many elements to come together. With your encouragement, I will soldier on.

Thank you.

#505675 - 05/22/22 08:42 PM Re: My First Video (warts and all ) [Re: Bernie9]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I hate to say it, but I got to agree with montunoman.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I posted about listening to demos before you post and trying to see if they’re in balance with the style..! It’s quite possibly the #1 mistake most people make. We try so hard to hear ourselves well, we end up making sure you can barely hear anything else at all!

It is honestly one of the most difficult things to do, to play WITHIN the mix, not completely on top of it. The rule of thumb is, if it’s a pretty busy style, if you can hear yourself really well, odds are you’re too loud..! If you can JUST hear yourself, it’s probably about right.

The trouble of course is, how do we play well without really hearing ourselves upfront, loud and proud? That mostly boils down to learning the song and solos etc. to the point where you don’t HAVE to be loud and proud just to avoid mistakes.

But there’s a trick you can try….

Record yourself to your arranger’s sequencer. Play it back. Then edit the recording by turning down your keyboard Parts until they sit within the mix so you can hear both them AND the backing in a nice balance. Now note how much you had to turn them down, go back to your registration, and turn down the keyboard Parts that same amount.

Now record again. Try not to play harder to compensate. Listen to the recording. You might have struggled to hear yourself while you played, but the recording should now be far more balanced.

Now you should have an ‘ear’ for how much you should struggle to hear yourself in general, but you will gradually get used to it, and both your recordings and your audience (if playing to other people) will notice a much fuller, balanced sound.

It takes a while, but the end result is worth it, not only in a better balanced sound, but you’ll probably find yourself playing more rhythmically and dynamically better, as you can cue off the style better and groove off the drums when they are as loud and proud as you!

As players, we all want to hear ourselves, but the minute you are playing in a band (which is what playing with an arranger is!) you have to remember that everyone is just as important as you… the drummer, the bassist, the guitarist, the horns etc.. Even though you’re not playing them, they ARE as important as you..!

Try the recording to the sequencer trick. It will help you enormously! 🎹😎

#505679 - 05/23/22 01:07 AM Re: My First Video (warts and all ) [Re: Diki]
Bernie9 Offline

Thank you Diki. I appreciate the critique, and will try your method. I guess a one shot record is too iffy right now. I am learning that there is lighting, backdrop, and expressions to work on also. With the forbearance of you all, I will keep on.

#505682 - 05/23/22 10:52 AM Re: My First Video (warts and all ) [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Bernie9
Hi Paul
God bless you for the comment, the only one in 118 views. You being the master of the Latin genre, I fully agree. I am brand new to video, and didn't realize the importance of many elements to come together. With your encouragement, I will soldier on.

Thank you.

I don't consider myself a "master" by any means but thanks Bernie!

Here's an idea for you new YT channel- I see you have several different brands of keyboards. Perhaps you could do comparisons- play the same tune on each keyboard. I know it would be practically impossible for most people to ever compare these boards in one place, so you would be doing a great service for those looking to buy a keyboard.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#505683 - 05/23/22 12:16 PM Re: My First Video (warts and all ) [Re: montunoman]
Bernie9 Offline

It is a good idea which I will think about. I have to get a little better at video, making sure everything is constant except for the keyboard. Diki had good points I will study. We all have seen good comparisons, then some that could not be accurately judged because it wasn't comparing apples to apples.

Thanks Paul

#505685 - 05/23/22 12:52 PM Re: My First Video (warts and all ) [Re: Bernie9]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would suggest that, until you can get the audio balanced, perhaps hold off on the video end of things… 😎

The old ‘walking before you run’ thing comes to mind! Not to mention, a bad video of a great audio is, at least for me, far preferable to a well lit and framed video with fundamental audio flaws. You definitely don’t want to use your phone’s microphone, so a little audio interface that is phone compatible will go a long way to giving a pro sheen by cutting out the room acoustics…

And while you are at it, if you are going to sing, check carefully that you haven’t drenched your vocal in too much reverb! That’s probably the #2 mistake so many of us make. Because you are always hearing your head voice mixed in with the output of the vocal processing, it always sounds drier while we sing than it does at playback. So, once again like the style/live play balance, if you struggle to hear your reverb while you sing, out front and on the recording it’s probably about right…

Just take your time… and prioritize the audio to start. After all, that’s what we want to focus on, right?! 🤩

#505686 - 05/23/22 02:04 PM Re: My First Video (warts and all ) [Re: Diki]
Bernie9 Offline

I am using a Zoom Q2n HD camcorder for vocal and keyboard(not wired in). I tried direct record and I had a feedback problem, also tried using a good Sennheiser mic plugged into the 1/4 jack of the Yamaha.

I am sure you are right about procedures. Thank you.

#505687 - 05/23/22 02:09 PM Re: My First Video (warts and all ) [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bernie, two things:

1. Smile while you're playing smile.

2. Learn the basics of video editing so you can delete the end where you turn off the camera.

Those will be the quickest and easiest ways to improve your videos. BTW, you're absolutely justified in your initial comment about the lack of responses to your initial posting. Clearly you were looking for feedback and suggestions for improving your performance/video skills. That's (one of) the primary purposes of a forum like this and we should all make our participation a priority. I myself, am/was guilty even though I had some thoughts I should have shared. I will blame laziness and procrastination but that's a lousy excuse. Luckily, Paul (as usual) responded (in his usual supportive way) and that at least triggered other responses.

I say, if we want to keep the forum viable as a learning platform, we need to respond to postings that forumites (probably not a word smile ) put up for critique. Keep 'em coming, Bernie. I know that you (along with Paul and Diki) are one of the ones that will usually respond to a posted performance.

chas

PS: You may want to invest in a video editor if you want truly pro results. I use Cyberlink's Power Director which works for me and gives a lot of bang for the buck. However, there are lots of others in that price range to choose from. Other members may have some other suggestions.

Edited by cgiles (05/23/22 02:22 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online