SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#505506 - 04/19/22 10:51 PM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I just wonder, if making money ISN’T the focus of one’s life Gary, why you often show such scorn for musicians who eschew the easy money of doing a single so they can still practice the art of music making with others?

Without musicians like that, you would never have learned the art of playing in the first place. It just seems rather petty to laugh at them now for making less than you did because they still wanted to play with each other. And comparing their salary to a waiter’s (while you admit even you made less) to somehow justify your decision to go solo doesn’t seem to make sense. Either money is the object or it isn’t.

Having made the admission that your going home happy is what made it worth while getting out of a better paid medical job, why doesn’t it ever occur to you that those large band musicians feel the exact same way? About playing with just a machine…

#505507 - 04/20/22 12:47 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: Diki]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Why don't you just put it to rest Diki? You keep this going this forum will die completely. I don't get it! Harold

#505508 - 04/20/22 01:05 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: Anthony Johnson]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Anthony Johnson
Originally Posted By abacus
A good player will get the best out of their instrument no matter what it is; however there is no reason for a keyboard player to emulate the same as a Sax player etc. as its palette is much greater, (Unless all you want to do is recreate a specific instrument) so you can create your own sound and be individual, (Rather than sounding the same as every other Tom, Dick & Harry out there) so make your own sound (That’s what professional keyboard players do) and become unique rather than trying to make your keyboard sound like something it isn’t. (In the old days you could recognise a player by his style (No matter what keyboard he was playing) but these days with arrangers those that know a small amount about arrangers just say oh that’s a Yamaha or that’s a Korg, with the player being an irrelevance)

Bill

Hi Abacus
Ths is the post where you started this thread "Why do arranger players suck to pros?
Why on earth should you want or need to be writing from the view of a pro when you admit you are not one?
Why would you insult and talk so condescendingly to arranger players?
Remember, you are not calling the arranger now but the players themselves
Why should you spout about how we need to sound as though you are some world class expert.
Unlike you, I am not simply a home player and I have entertained in pubs and clubs for many years. My first 2 jobs were playing regular weekends on piano although I wouldn't claim to be a pianist but I was asked to do it.
I then moved to organs and have played for many years on those.
Since I parted from my last organ job, I let my organ go and bought an arranger keyboard which was meant for home playing but was asked to take it to a pub and finished up taking it to quite a few pubs after that.
Upon retiring, I started playing free of charge at the nursing home my Mum was in and more or less turned the place into a social club.
After all those years entertaining, why should I be insulted and belittled by you or anyone else by telling me that pro's look down on me because I play an arranger and use auto accompaniment?
What has it to do with you or your so called "pro" friends, what I play or how I play it and I speak now for every arranger player.
Why do you have such big ego's and why delight in going onto an arranger forum to insult the members who are really nice guys and who are just sharing the love of music.
Why not stop being such narcissists and stop trolling, because that's what you are doing.
I can probably give you advice but I won't because I am just a musician and an entertainer and I don't have a big ego.

Read my post again, there is nothing in there that belittles arranger players, anyone that uses one live, or says that they are second class etc. (You need to get out of your woke bubble and realise everybody has opinions and they may not agree with you, but they are not personal attacks on you)
As far as I am concerned this matter is now closed as all the members that replied on here (Except you) answered my question and gave their opinions which I always value (Why would I be on the forum if I didn’t) as they are genuine and like all genuine people they accept all peoples views, (And are happy to post their own knowing that they will be treated as such) and this is what makes a good forum. (Do heated discussions occur, yes, just like they do down the pub, and like discussions down the pub things move on to other topics (Like whose round is it) as discussions continue)

Bill

#505509 - 04/20/22 01:13 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: abacus]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
The very subject line of your original post is an insult to arranger players before you even read the rest.
"Why do arranger players suck to pros"
You think it's perfectly all right and friendly to tell someone that they suck because they play arrangers.
I'm surprised none of your musician friends ever gave you a good slap.

#505510 - 04/20/22 02:03 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: Anthony Johnson]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I own three TOTL arrangers and don't feel insulted. What is seriously missing here is understanding what's actually been said. And I'm definitely missing the part where's been said that arranger players suck. Once again a case of miscomprehension.

"Why do arranger players suck to pros?"

That's a question, NOT a statement.

"I'm surprised none of your musician friends ever gave you a good slap."

Assault is how you handle things? Geez!

Edited by Taike (04/20/22 02:05 AM)

#505511 - 04/20/22 04:17 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: Taike]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I love this place – let’s end this post.

John C.

#505512 - 04/20/22 04:20 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: Taike]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Originally Posted By Taike
I own three TOTL arrangers and don't feel insulted. What is seriously missing here is understanding what's actually been said. And I'm definitely missing the part where's been said that arranger players suck. Once again a case of miscomprehension.

"Why do arranger players suck to pros?"

That's a question, NOT a statement.

"I'm surprised none of your musician friends ever gave you a good slap."

Assault is how you handle things? Geez!

You don't understand because you have not read the post properly -
That which you have not seen, is the headline or subject line of this very thread.
I don't particularly care whether I suck to pros or anyone else but
that's a weird question for a home player to ask me.
Why come on a arranger website just to criticise arranger players?
What is he doing on an arranger website if he doesn't like arrangers or the guys who play them.
You may be happy to let him ask you why, as an arranger player, you suck, but I am not.
The guys a troll - you may not care but I do.

#505513 - 04/20/22 04:46 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: Anthony Johnson]
Taike Offline

Oh, I'm sure that I read correctly. Again, a question is not a statement. It doesn't say "Arranger players suck to pros" and even if it said that, it's still not a personal opinion.

The question isn't directed at home players either. By the way, I'm a home player but that doesn't make me a worse player than a pro. I have a degree in Classical Music Performance (Organ).

I don't care if I suck at arranger keyboards (the technical aspects) as I see myself as an organist. Always have, always will.😁

#505514 - 04/20/22 06:08 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: abacus]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Read in the GOLDEN LINE above your red flag or above my name.
It says "Why do arranger players suck to pros"
Correct?
I've already said that I don't care whether or not it offends you because it still offends me.
I also don't care what level of playing skill you are because my post is not directed at you.
I never said it was directed at home players.
I said that it was FROM a home player.
If you don't care whether you suck then , good for you, so why have you joined the debate?

Edited by Anthony Johnson (04/20/22 06:08 AM)

#505515 - 04/20/22 06:20 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: Anthony Johnson]
Taike Offline

You call this a debate? You're basically here to draw blood.

So your feelings are hurt, so what?

It says: Why do arranger players suck to pros?" What's wrong with that besides you seeing things that aren't there. How often do I have to repeat myself that it's a question and not a statement.

Edited by Taike (04/20/22 06:57 AM)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online