SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#505495 - 04/18/22 02:12 PM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: abacus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, music has been really good to me, as well. I've always said it was the best job I ever had in my life.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#505496 - 04/18/22 02:42 PM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: travlin'easy]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Most Important Gary You blessed so many people lives with your talents and Music! You also really enjoyed what you did. You provided for Your family, invested wisely(very important) for retirement, a beautiful home and grand sail boat sailing the east coast north to south. I would say your a PRO in everything You do and done. What the hell what keyboard you used I don't get it at all. This topic has come up a 100 times before on this forum, maybe that's why most people have moved away from this forum? Oh by the way not many pro's as we think we know have experienced anything close....You are a very HUMBLE Man. Best wishes Harold from western Pa.

#505497 - 04/18/22 04:05 PM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: abacus]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Harold, I truly appreciate your comments.

Gary cool

#505498 - 04/18/22 06:24 PM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: travlin'easy]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
You are welcome....Yourself, Donny P ,Don Mason, Fran and so many others is what made this ARRANGER forum enjoyable for so many years. Plus all the help you all provided and making friends along the way. Those days are gone sad to say. Thank You all again. Harold from western Pa. By the way Gary My new Bose hearing aides are working Great!

Edited by Harold123 (04/18/22 06:27 PM)

#505499 - 04/19/22 02:19 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: Diki]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Originally Posted By Diki
Sorry, Gary, but if making money is the sole goal in life, music is a TERRIBLE way of ensuring it. I could have made so much money as a doctor or a lawyer that even a fully booked arranger ‘entertainer’ wouldn’t come close..!

And if you think the ‘musicians’ in your arranger are world class, you’ve never played with one. Sorry to be blunt, but the worst guitarist I know that I would consider a ‘pro’ can play circles round the best arranger in the world. The best of them play circles round me!

I wonder, with money apparently so important, and waiters making so much more than you did playing, how come you didn’t drop playing? Your logic suggests that’s the goal… Or perhaps playing music actually IS more important than money!?!

At any level… 🎹😎

I'm surprised that you are willing to debase yourself by making such big-headed statements.
Is there only you who knows what a Pro or world class musician is?
Why does Gary or the rest of us not know what a Pro or world class musician is?
The definition of Pro is simply someone who earns their living at that particular thing.
Why should we have any reason to believe there are any Pro's on this forum who are any better than ourselves.
The word Pro is so overused on here by guys who are trying to put themselves up on a pedestal.

What is more important in this world is whether someone is a nice guy and Gary is universally acclaimed for that.
Apart from on this forum, I have never heard of Abacus, Diki or any of the other "Pro proclaimers" who don't impress me at all.
You are entitled to believe that everyone looks down on someone who uses auto-accompaniment if you wish but in reality,
that is only your opinions which don't matter at all to the rest of us.
This sounds to me as though some of those who proclaim themselves to be Pro's are very insecure and need to bolster their image by pulling others down.
Arrangers have auto accompaniment so that anyone who doesn't have access to a band can still play without sounding a bit EMPTY.
The guys who play with a band sound just as EMPTY when the band is not there.
We all play differently in the same way we all cook a meal differently and no other has the right to say "only my way is right".
Why not drop your insecurities and boasting and use the arranger forum to post about arrangers with or without auto accompaniment.
If you dislike auto accompaniment so much, you could always go on piano or organ forums where they don't discuss such like.
I played organs for many years in pubs & clubs and wish I had a good Hammond in my home at this moment but,
I live in a home, not a studio and, I wouldn't be able to take it with me when I go out.
I never knew there were such people as instrument snobs with inflated ideas of their own importance.

#505500 - 04/19/22 06:22 AM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: Anthony Johnson]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Anthony Johnson
Originally Posted By Diki
Sorry, Gary, but if making money is the sole goal in life, music is a TERRIBLE way of ensuring it. I could have made so much money as a doctor or a lawyer that even a fully booked arranger ‘entertainer’ wouldn’t come close..!

And if you think the ‘musicians’ in your arranger are world class, you’ve never played with one. Sorry to be blunt, but the worst guitarist I know that I would consider a ‘pro’ can play circles round the best arranger in the world. The best of them play circles round me!

I wonder, with money apparently so important, and waiters making so much more than you did playing, how come you didn’t drop playing? Your logic suggests that’s the goal… Or perhaps playing music actually IS more important than money!?!

At any level… 🎹😎

I'm surprised that you are willing to debase yourself by making such big-headed statements.
Is there only you who knows what a Pro or world class musician is?
Why does Gary or the rest of us not know what a Pro or world class musician is?
The definition of Pro is simply someone who earns their living at that particular thing.
Why should we have any reason to believe there are any Pro's on this forum who are any better than ourselves.
The word Pro is so overused on here by guys who are trying to put themselves up on a pedestal.

What is more important in this world is whether someone is a nice guy and Gary is universally acclaimed for that.
Apart from on this forum, I have never heard of Abacus, Diki or any of the other "Pro proclaimers" who don't impress me at all.
You are entitled to believe that everyone looks down on someone who uses auto-accompaniment if you wish but in reality,
that is only your opinions which don't matter at all to the rest of us.
This sounds to me as though some of those who proclaim themselves to be Pro's are very insecure and need to bolster their image by pulling others down.
Arrangers have auto accompaniment so that anyone who doesn't have access to a band can still play without sounding a bit EMPTY.
The guys who play with a band sound just as EMPTY when the band is not there.
We all play differently in the same way we all cook a meal differently and no other has the right to say "only my way is right".
Why not drop your insecurities and boasting and use the arranger forum to post about arrangers with or without auto accompaniment.
If you dislike auto accompaniment so much, you could always go on piano or organ forums where they don't discuss such like.
I played organs for many years in pubs & clubs and wish I had a good Hammond in my home at this moment but,
I live in a home, not a studio and, I wouldn't be able to take it with me when I go out.
I never knew there were such people as instrument snobs with inflated ideas of their own importance.

Hi Anthony Johnson
I have never claimed to be a pro so stop claiming otherwise, I am fully a home hobby player who has also been using computers for music since the early 80s.
I have met many musicians over time and still keep in touch.
Arranger keyboards came from the easy play features of organs where they claimed you could play with just one finger, unfortunately they shot themselves in the foot as the Japanese came in with a keyboard that could be played with one finger in each hand and was smaller and a fraction of the price of an organ plus could be hidden in the cupboard when that quickly became bored with it. (Why learn to play a big organ when you could just press a button and have pretty much everything done for you and hence the demise of the home organ began)
Arranger keyboards are and always have been designed for the home hobby player, NOT professional musicians, but just because something was not designed for a particular type of use, does not preclude it from being used in that type of environment, however if you want the best you use the instrument that is best for the job, (If you want a real piano sound use a piano) an arranger keyboard is a jack of all trades and a master of none, that is the fact, if you don’t like it, hard cheese, just suck it up. (Putting it on a pedestal doesn’t make it more than what it is)
Here’s a question, how many professional arranger keyboard players in the world do people know about either through radio, TV, recordings and other types of media, then ask yourself how many piano, organ, trumpet, synth players etc. are out there that people know about? (The answer is there are virtually no arranger players that people know about because the instrument is not designed for pros but for the home hobby player)
Finally the ones you complain about on here actually answered my question with some great views from many others, and is what makes a forum.

Bill

#505501 - 04/19/22 06:48 AM Invitation [Re: abacus]
zuki Offline

Come on over to DMs forum. There is no vitriol and a lot of love. I enjoy watching any skill level, arranger or not. It comes to mind when I think of my late Dad, who really chewed up the chords smile He always had a big smile on his face. How can one strip anyone of that joy? His joy is what got me started down the wonderful world of music.

Good luck to all. This is my last post on this forum.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#505503 - 04/19/22 03:34 PM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: abacus]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
A good player will get the best out of their instrument no matter what it is; however there is no reason for a keyboard player to emulate the same as a Sax player etc. as its palette is much greater, (Unless all you want to do is recreate a specific instrument) so you can create your own sound and be individual, (Rather than sounding the same as every other Tom, Dick & Harry out there) so make your own sound (That’s what professional keyboard players do) and become unique rather than trying to make your keyboard sound like something it isn’t. (In the old days you could recognise a player by his style (No matter what keyboard he was playing) but these days with arrangers those that know a small amount about arrangers just say oh that’s a Yamaha or that’s a Korg, with the player being an irrelevance)

Bill

Hi Abacus
Ths is the post where you started this thread "Why do arranger players suck to pros?
Why on earth should you want or need to be writing from the view of a pro when you admit you are not one?
Why would you insult and talk so condescendingly to arranger players?
Remember, you are not calling the arranger now but the players themselves
Why should you spout about how we need to sound as though you are some world class expert.
Unlike you, I am not simply a home player and I have entertained in pubs and clubs for many years. My first 2 jobs were playing regular weekends on piano although I wouldn't claim to be a pianist but I was asked to do it.
I then moved to organs and have played for many years on those.
Since I parted from my last organ job, I let my organ go and bought an arranger keyboard which was meant for home playing but was asked to take it to a pub and finished up taking it to quite a few pubs after that.
Upon retiring, I started playing free of charge at the nursing home my Mum was in and more or less turned the place into a social club.
After all those years entertaining, why should I be insulted and belittled by you or anyone else by telling me that pro's look down on me because I play an arranger and use auto accompaniment?
What has it to do with you or your so called "pro" friends, what I play or how I play it and I speak now for every arranger player.
Why do you have such big ego's and why delight in going onto an arranger forum to insult the members who are really nice guys and who are just sharing the love of music.
Why not stop being such narcissists and stop trolling, because that's what you are doing.
I can probably give you advice but I won't because I am just a musician and an entertainer and I don't have a big ego.

Edited by Anthony Johnson (04/19/22 03:35 PM)

#505504 - 04/19/22 03:45 PM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: abacus]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hi zuki,
Thanks for the invite. I didn't know about DM's forum so I don't know the web address to go to but will visit when I find it.
Anthony

#505505 - 04/19/22 05:14 PM Re: Why do arranger players suck to pros? [Re: abacus]
travlin'easy Offline

Here ya go: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819613151594818

Here's another great forum I frequent that is loaded with some incredibly talented individuals: https://www.keyboardplayers.club/

Gary cool

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online