SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#504782 - 01/24/22 10:55 AM WHAT THA' ????
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Huh! Did a giant meteorite crash into the Synthzone planet and obliterate all life forms? If so, what's the name of this meteorite -
'Apathy', 'No-Nu-product', 'Covid-19', 'OldAge syndrome' 'MAGA-itis', or maybe....it's just that without the personal interaction and relationships among it's members, Arranger keyboards all by themselves are just not interesting enough to support a vibrant forum. I mean, let's face it; after a few sounds and styles that are only marganally better than the previous generation's (and sometimes not as good - subjective), what is there? Perhaps a few new advanced automation features that serve only to remove us further away from actually PLAYING and in most cases probably won't even be figured out (or used) by our technically challenged older population of typical Arranger players.

I feel really bad that all the hard work and half a lifetime of dedication that Nigel put into this forum is slowly dissipating into oblivion; and most likely because of an extension of the hate and divisions that currently infect (and are destroying) our country. We probably can't change the attitudes of the 'true believers' and diehard cult-followers, but we CAN control what happens here in the closed environment of our Synthzone/Arranger universe. I'm sure that there are many (members) out there that miss posting and sharing their music or perhaps some 'tips & Tricks' or even helping (or being helped) with some technical problem that's unique to the world of arrangers. Maybe we should try to get back to that. Just a thought.

chas

#504783 - 01/24/22 11:45 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, I'm in. Event though I don't use arrangers for live play, I use them for film roughs to show the client. They work GREAT!

AND, I miss the interaction with others who are involved in numerous ways in the music business or hobby.

Covid has messed things up; BIG TIME! My office manager just tested positive. I'm going for what seems like my 50th test in a few minutes. We're all "shot to hell", but you can still get it.

If I go home for 5 days, I'll take my phone and laptop and keep in touch.

Be well, all, and lets "cross your fingers" for each other.

Russ

#504784 - 01/24/22 12:12 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Hello Chas,

I wish there was more movement here as well. At some point a forum like this is like a newspaper, everyone who writes something is a journalist at some point. Sometimes, I guess, one may start treat it as a newspaper that just sort of appears and entertains. Although I believe in a phrase about a horse that can be brought to water but we can't make it drink. Controversial.

Years ago I participated in a community devoted to LEGO toys, some adults have a hobby like this. It was very active for a while, but then some people changed their focus. The thing is that communities do not always exist just on their own. Sometimes enthusiasm of one or two people makes it work, then it seems that it can work without them, but it won't.

We had some unpleasant incident here on the New Year's Eve, I wish it could be undone, I think there are at least three people for whom it was the most unpleasant.

When there's tension, you never know what would be the trigger.

I believe that there's no music which is just about music... Music is about life, and life is about people. And the instruments we play or discuss do not worth much when people don't have feelings and emotions about it, some personal, some unreasonable emotions.

That all is rather fragile. Mostly, I guess, everyone has his "happy place' connected to some subjects we discuss here. It's not always easy to share this "happy place" and to defend it simultaneously.

I've been thinking lately that in reality the winner is not always right. The majority is not always right. Facebook and Instagram aren't necessarily better than other resources, they just happen to be popular.

Today's popular music isn't necessarily better than "old" music, it just happens to be today's.

Sometimes it worth to stand for what feels right even when trends are different. Now I'm looking for an example... Perhaps it's hard to find because trend is usually big and noticeable, and what is going against it is hidden in its shadow.

I read somewhere here about Rhodes electric pianos, how people for a while thought that they became obsolete and started to sell them cheaply. Then people realized that those instruments stayed relevant regardless of all the new digital instruments out there and stopped to give them away.

People may reevaluate a lot of things... We know how some trends became laughable later...

#504785 - 01/24/22 03:21 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

I think the demise of new instruments wipes out new conversation. How many times can one kick the same can down the road?

Winter brings the blues (not music) and COVID deleted jobs doesn't help.

I'm up to 10 - 12 gigs per month, but a lot are just not interested in providing music for residents still.

We can only hope for all this stuff to be over and some new boards to come out smile

Good to hear from the few here.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#504786 - 01/24/22 05:22 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

Zuki. Certainly each factor adds its element in the big picture. Personally I'm not really hopeful that new instruments will change it significantly. Actually we have new PSR-E473, EW-425, Casiotone CT-S1000V, some new pianos, also I like a recent black version of Vox Continental (Korg); certainly once you had TOTL it's harder to be interested in anything less.

If we were talking about cars, could we expect that it would be much different? After all, all cars are similar, they have their types and necessary parts. Now they are become more electrical, but still, it's not like in few years my new car will fly me to another planet - I'm sorry that it probably won't happen in my lifetime...

Indeed, under different circumstances I imagine I could show more enthusiasm myself. I hoped to interact more with stores or manufacturers so that I could promote their keyboards on YouTube, but I picture they can hardly pay the bills without helping a small channel like mine. Without such interaction I feel more isolated.

At first I thought that this forced isolation may provoke creativity, but now I think that I require to get impressions from outside in order to be more creative inside. Well, there's no forced isolation here, everyone is free as a bird, but you know, trying to be on a safe side will make you less sociable.

I think, people need to be optimistic in order to keep it moving. Even if the optimism is based on some illusion or fairytale. Eventually it is the movement itself that makes it real.

The optimism has been challenged a lot lately, but it's our nature to always make a new plan when the last one didn't work out, it just takes time.

#504787 - 01/24/22 08:05 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Kabinopus, not only do you have the soul of a poet (also reflected in your music) but you also have a very unique (introspective) way of articulating life issues. I like that and always enjoy reading your posts. Years ago when I was in graduate school, I had a very good friend who had immigrated from Russia (Moscow, I think). He was, hands down, one of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met (as was his wife). I lost track of him over the years and as he was about 10 years older than me, he's probably passed on by now, but I'll always remember Sergei (sp) as one of the exceptional people in my life. Ahhh, things were so innocent back then. Maybe not the outside world but at least in the 'ivory towers'.

chas

#504788 - 01/25/22 12:04 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

Thank you, Chas, for your attention, I just said what had been on my mind for a while, you provided an opportunity :-)

Your friend happens to be my namesake. I hope to visit the States myself, although our world is so digital now that we all are everywhere and nowhere at some point.

As for the SynthZone, a while back it seemed that sharing music is the answer, but now on Facebook I see that it turns the community into YouTube, in other words, makes it less personal.

This is another element of today's reality – how many views and followers you have. In many cases it reveals how awkward it is: some successful film director or composer would have about 1000 followers, and a girl who flirts all the time on a camera would have 60 thousands followers. She may think about how influential she is, and that would be misleading. Entrapment!

#504789 - 01/25/22 09:29 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: Kabinopus]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The mind. Garbage in Garbage out.
Covid Disease. The condition of our world.
Dishonest politicians.

So, a good/nice man can become consumed in Garbage and expected to act civil; some of them have been banned from SZ. This is a topic that should be in the Bar, or PM message; but it was posted here because we care --- we want the attitude here on SZ to help and add to the other person.

Bebop, brought 20 for 1 to the Technics Forum. He used 20 because we were using Floppy Disk at that time, 20 was their max. Send him 1 song and he sent back 20 songs. The disk of 10 songs gave us something to listened, and sometimes to learn from.

I feel we should post our songs/ideas, no matter what level we are in.

All replays should be to encouraging the sender --- Replying from a high position/standard is not very encouraging.

I am going to get out of my chair and open a Box.net account, so I can start sending my music.

I’m happy to hear we include all songs, even the ones from the very old days. (that’s where I am coming from. Smile)

We needed these posts, thanks to all, John C.

#504790 - 01/25/22 09:45 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: bruno123]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123

I’m happy to hear we include all songs, even the ones from the very old days. (that’s where I am coming from. Smile)

John, if the songs weren't from the "very old days", I probably wouldn't recognize them smile smile. Musically, I'm in the same place, 'old is good' smile. BTW, I think it's only natural that we favor the songs that made us fall in love with music in the first place. So, old, new, or somewhere in-between, it's all good.

chas

#504791 - 01/25/22 11:28 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I'm still here, just busy with life. I wish all these curmudgeons on SZ could get along. Seems so silly to engage in political arguments on a KEYBOARD site. I kind of wish the "bar" was taken away. Seems to have caused more problems than anything.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online