SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#503351 - 07/24/21 05:57 AM Korg EK-50 rhythm glitch frm 1 set list to Next
Dengizich Offline

I'd like to buy one of these little machines (EK-50), and I was watching some you tube videos. I noticed the guy in the video used the part mute section for changing sounds, instead of programming the set list section (4 buttons)x (10 banks). So I asked him what's the reason, he said that there is a glitch going from one set list to the next, the rhythm just stops for a millisecond.

Any idea what is the reason for this glitch?

I'd like to get one of these babies, but with this issue, I'm kind of reluctant.

#503364 - 07/25/21 01:03 PM Re: Korg EK-50 rhythm glitch frm 1 set list to Next [Re: Dengizich]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
For years the fills and variation changes on Korgs seemed "jumpy," i.e., they sounded abrupt with sudden changes in volume. Some folks like John Smies who used to post on this forum went through and edited all of the musical resources.

What I noticed is that new styles introduced contemporary with the Pa900 seemed smoother with fills and variation changes that were better integrated. If the EK-50 is using legacy resources from the PA50 / PA80 or "Triton" engine, it might be something you'll have to live with. As an entry-level arranger, re-using old software and hardware is one way to keep the price down, but you get only what you're paying for. My $.02.

Edited by TedS (07/25/21 01:04 PM)

#503370 - 07/26/21 06:22 AM Re: Korg EK-50 rhythm glitch frm 1 set list to Next [Re: Dengizich]
Dengizich Offline

Thanks TEdS for your reply. That is correct the EK-50 is using the PA50 styles. I never had a Korg, so I wasn't familiar with this issue. I like this EK-50, it's simple to manipulate, light weight, it has speakers and it doesn't break the bank. I'll might just get it anyway and use the Upper1, Upper2, Upper3 for voice change.

Do you or anyone else have any styles from the PA900?

#503379 - 07/26/21 11:12 PM Re: Korg EK-50 rhythm glitch frm 1 set list to Next [Re: Dengizich]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I don't (or if I do, they're buried in a .zip file somewhere.) A long time ago I got a Pa800, and I still have it. Very full-featured board, and more capable for music production than Roland or Yamaha. For example, you can do a quick record with a style (what Korg calls a "backing sequence") and then edit the chord track to correct your mistakes. The board will re-expand your edited backing sequence into a full MIDI. Yamaha and Roland cannot do this, the workflow is simply not as convenient. As far as styles go, I never warmed up to what was on-board the Pa800. Some were jumpy or in need of volume balancing, and most just weren't good matches for the style of music I play. If I were determined to campaign a Korg, I would probably make a concerted effort (no pun intended) to convert my favorite Yamaha styles. StyleWorks XT is your friend!

Edited by TedS (07/26/21 11:13 PM)

#503380 - 07/26/21 11:40 PM Re: Korg EK-50 rhythm glitch frm 1 set list to Next [Re: Dengizich]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Dengizich

Do you or anyone else have any styles from the PA900?

Hi.
Just in case it's forgotten or you're not aware of it.....
Here is a link to Korg's Bonusware site where it's a lot of free stylepacs downloadable.
It's not the factory stylesets, but it's very good quality stuff to download for most all Korg models.
Did even find some to add for my MicroArranger that's now is in the hands of my grandkids. 😊

https://www.korg.com/us/features/arrangers/bonusware/
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#503389 - 07/27/21 08:41 PM Re: Korg EK-50 rhythm glitch frm 1 set list to Next [Re: Dengizich]
Dengizich Offline

Thank You

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online