SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#502418 - 03/08/21 07:58 AM External Files and SD Card
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
After all these years, I have a chance to obtain an excellent condition KN-7000 once again.

But it's been a very long time since I've last owned the 7000, so long ago, that for me, floppy disks were the norm for external file loading and saving.

I remember most of how the OS works, but since floppies are long obsolete, I would assume the SD Card is now used to completely replace floppies for style, song, registration, etc. loading and saving. Correct?

And on that note, is there an SD Card size limit for the 7000, and any brand recommendations?

Thanks

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#502419 - 03/08/21 09:23 AM Re: External Files and SD Card [Re: lahawk]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Larry. If you've still got floppy disks it is a much simpler way of loading external files than the complexity of transfering files direct to an SD Card from your computer. May I suggest 2gb max SD Card and make sure you don't buy an SDHC SD Card by mistake.

#502420 - 03/08/21 11:19 AM Re: External Files and SD Card [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Thanks Roger
Unfortunately I gave away all my floppies when I sold the Technics years ago. I also dont have a computer with a disk drive.
Might have to learn the SD card method.

Appreciate the SD tip

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#502421 - 03/08/21 12:31 PM Re: External Files and SD Card [Re: lahawk]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry,

Welcome back to your KN7000 - still a really great keyboard.....

I wonder if you got a copy of the 'Applications and Drivers' CD with the keyboard? It has all the necessary programs to allow you to use the SD Card system with a PC via USB. Unfortunately, these programs were written in the early 2000s and will only work on a PC with Windows 98 or Windows XP, which of course were the PC operating systems at that time. I just tried to install the software on one of my Windows 10 PCs but No-Go.
The way I get around this - I have a small ACER 10 inch Notebook with Windows XP installed, and this sits on the music rest of my KN7000 and is permanently connected via USB to my KN7000 and to my home network. So any files are downloaded to the ACER and can then be easily transferred to and from the KN7000 SD Card.
If you can find a Netbook or Laptop to install XP then this would be an ideal solution...

There is a very useful program called KN7000 SD Explorer which allows editing/ manipulation of KN7000 data on an SD Card, and works OK on versions of Windows up to and including Win 10. It was written by a Dutch guy and you can contact him here : https://wf.mellink.info/contact-nl

As Roger said, you can only use standard SD Cards up to a capacity of 2 Gb. The KN7000 only actually recognises cards up to 1Gb but tolerates cards up to 2 Gb but only uses 1 Gb of the card's capacity. Even a 1 Gb card really takes a lot of filling with KN7000 files!

If all else fails Larry, you could always buy an external Floppy drive which connects to your PC via USB. You'll find them with a search on the internet..... Also Floppy discs are still available... See Amazon...

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#502426 - 03/09/21 08:16 AM Re: External Files and SD Card [Re: Bill Norrie]
lahawk Offline

Thanks Bill,

With this particular keyboard, that I have an opportunity to get, I don't know if a copy of the "applications and drivers" cd is available. In any case, thanks for your tip on using an older XP laptop for SD card transfer. I kind of remember that application, and the SKN7000 SD Explorer too.

Another thought is maybe using an external floppy disk drive and going back to floppies, both still available for purchase on Amazon and other sites. Perhaps that would be a more simple way of adding and saving files, to and from the 7000 and a Windows 10 pc ?

Thanks again. smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#502430 - 03/09/21 10:51 AM Re: External Files and SD Card [Re: lahawk]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Been doing that latter way for the last 20 years since I purchased my KN7000 - lots of styles/patterns I've made here: www.technicskn7000styles.com

#502431 - 03/09/21 10:57 AM Re: External Files and SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
lahawk Offline

Thanks Roger. Seems like the simplist way to go. And thanks for your "stuff" smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online