SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#502382 - 03/03/21 12:40 PM What about a yamaha 670 with a Hammond SSK?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Looking at a review of the 88 key Yamaha 670, many folks were bothered by the weight (40 lbs). Been using a Solton MS 60 for years, which is heavier.

Looking at a house job, where I put the Hammond over something else. I rarely use the arranger function at all, but would like to know if the arranger in this unit would suffice for simple ballads and dinner music?

I'd get the damper pedal and the stand. It would stay in one room, but move about to different corners of the room, depending on the event.

Thanks,

Russ

#502384 - 03/03/21 04:55 PM Re: What about a yamaha 670 with a Hammond SSK? [Re: captain Russ]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Hm. If you're referring to the Hammond SK1, etc., those aren't really arrangers. I love their key action, portability, and light weight! They also have auto harmony (i.e., add notes to RH based on the played chord.) Unfortunately, they lack the "one finger triggers a major chord" left-hand functionality of the Hammond XE series from circa year 2000. And that's something I personally can't live without. So close... :-(

#502396 - 03/04/21 10:20 AM Re: What about a yamaha 670 with a Hammond SSK? [Re: TedS]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I know the Hammond is not an arranger. I use the SK-1 for organ sounds and left-handed bass. The keyboard below has been the Solton MS-60, an ancient arranger.

My question was, is the new Yamaha 670 enough of an arranger to get by for the 10 tunes a night I need an arranger for.

Also, what about durability, weight and sound for dining room work?

Thanks,

R.

#502401 - 03/04/21 03:29 PM Re: What about a yamaha 670 with a Hammond SSK? [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I think the Yamaha 670 would be good for what your describing, if you want 88 keys. Of course there are better arrangers (but not 88 keys) and better digital pianos (but no auto-accompaniment)

Not too many options in the fully weighted 88 key arrangers, unless you get the digital piano of your choice with a module - and there are very few options with modules. Ketron, or a used Roland. But for me, that's just more stuff to set up...

Good luck, and stay safe out there!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online