SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#501965 - 01/10/21 07:15 AM Intro challenge
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I bet there's a way to change the key of JUST the intro for a rhythm without changing the four variations. Trouble is I haven't worked out how to do it yet... Any thoughts?

#501966 - 01/10/21 09:39 AM Re: Intro challenge [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Not sure why you would want to do this but......

I can think of three of ways of doing that Rog :

1. Probably the easiest way.... Since any Intro will play in the key of the Chord which you initially 'play' in your Left Hand, or a Single note below the Split Point, with Synchro/Break, Start/Stop and Intro 1 or 2 selected, you can start the Intro in any key you wish. Once the Intro part of the style has finished, then just play a Chord below the Split Point in the desired key for the rest of the song. For example : if you wish to have the Intro in Bb, but the main song in C, set the KN7000 to say Intro 1, Synchro/Break On and Start/Stop On. Either play a Bb chord or just a Bb note below the Split point and the Intro will start in the key of Bb. Watch for the Last beat of the Last measure of the Intro and then immediately play a C chord below the Split point and continue to play as normal in the key of C. This will work with any combination of two keys.

2. Once you've decide the new key for the intro, set the new key before you start playing, using the Transpose Function, and just before the actual style part starts to play, hit both Transpose buttons to cancel the transpose function. Will probably take a bit of practise to get it just right and of course will depend on whether it's a 2, 3, or 4 measure Intro. Try watching the Red LEDs (Beat counter above the Start/Stop button) and as soon as the fourth led turns on, on the Last measure of the Intro, hit both Transpose buttons. This assumes that the actual Style will then be playing in your desired key, when the Transpose function is cancelled (i.e. no key shift)

3. If you wish to have your actual Style play in a key which already uses the Transpose Function, then method 2 of course will not be suitable... However, you can achieve this using the Panel Memory....
Select the desired key for the Intro and store this in Panel Memory 1. Select the desired key for the actual Style and then store this in Panel Memory 2.
As before, start the Intro (with Panel Memory 1 selected) and when the Intro has reached the last beat of the last measure of the Intro, hit Panel Memory 2.
If you are already using Panel Memories to store Set-ups for the song, then just ensure that these set-ups are selected in the Panel Memories 1 and 2, select the appropriate key shift for Panel Memories 1 and 2 and then save back to the Panel Memories.

If you are using a Sequence, rather than just playing 'Live', then these Transpose Functions can be incorporated into the Control Track of the Sequence, and will then be executed automatically, as the Sequence plays back.

Hope this helps Rog.....

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#501967 - 01/10/21 10:46 AM Re: Intro challenge [Re: RMepstead]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hi Both and All!

I hope you're keeping well. We've been struggling a bit here so it's been hard keeping my websites going well but I made some inroads recently. Hopefully, I'll be in touch more frequently soon.

Roger, try this style, I seem to remember making the intro in a different key but I can't be sure because it was a few years ago!

https://kn7000.co.uk/kn7000-styles/kn7000-style-ill-be-there-jackson-5/

See you soon,
Mike
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

#501976 - 01/11/21 08:38 AM Re: Intro challenge [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Thanks Willum and Mike
I sometimes convert midi files to style files using EMC Styleworks and just occasionally it produces an intro in a different key to the the four variations which follow so as you've suggested Bill I start the intro in the right/wrong key and then swap quickly as the intro ends. But I was wondering if I can go behind the scenes with such an intro and correct the key of just the intro...
I'll have a listen to that one Mike...
Rog

#501999 - 01/12/21 12:27 PM Re: Intro challenge [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Rog,
OK, I understand why you would want to do this....

The answer to your question is YES, it can be done (behind the scenes as you say) ! It's a bit of a 'Faff-On' but basically you would load the MIDI file into the KN7000 sequencer and then transpose just the Intro measures to the desired key and then re-save it as a MIDI file for further use.
I don't have time just now to write the full procedure, but if you give me a day or two I'll do it for you, if you wish.......

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#502005 - 01/13/21 01:46 AM Re: Intro challenge [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Bless you Bill but don't worry I will keep fiddling with it until I get it sorted.

#502006 - 01/13/21 07:43 AM Re: Intro challenge [Re: RMepstead]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hi Rog,

I understand what you're trying to do now. At first, I thought you deliberately wanted the intro to be in a different key.

In Styleworks when you make the style from a midi file in Song to Style Converter, you set the Intro 'Part Type' to "playback", as you know. Hit the "details" button next to the intro to load the Part Editor. In there you'll be able to set a transposition value for each track so that your intro sounds correct in the key of C. It won't work if your Part Type is set to Neutral.

If you want to adjust a style you've already made you can use the Song Editor to transpose the individual parts of the Intro (not the drums of course). I find this a lot more tricky to use, I tend to make more mistakes with it so I would usually recreate the Style from scratch in the Song to Style converter.

Good luck!
Mike
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

#502007 - 01/13/21 09:28 AM Re: Intro challenge [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Brilliant Mike - many thanks - Rog

#502008 - 01/13/21 10:19 AM Re: Intro challenge [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Rog,
Got a few minutes to myself so here's how to do it on the KN7000....

Assuming the file is located on a Floppy Disk and for example you wish to change the Intro from Bb to C
1. Load the MIDI file into the KN7000 Sequencer : DISK > LOAD > SMF > Select file > LOAD.
2. Play the Sequence and note the number of measures in the Intro and decide in which key it is being played (eg. measures 1 - 4 in the key of Bb)
3. Exit the Sequencer play function and press PROGRAM MENUS > SEQUENCER > RANGE EDIT > TRANSPOSE.
4. Set the TRACK value to ALL, FIRST MEASURE to 1, LAST MEASURE to the value of the last measure found in Step 2. (eg. 4)
5. Set the TRANSPOSE value to the number of semitones you wish to shift the Key of the original Intro, to the new Key. In the example, the original is Bb and we wish to change the Intro to C. In this instance, it would be +2 Semitones, so the TRANSPOSE should be set to +2.
6. Now press OK > YES and the Key Change process will execute. However, this will have changed all the tracks in the Intro and if any drums are used within the Intro, it will result in some strange 'Noises' in the new Intro.... This can be easily corrected by transposing the new Drum back to its original condition.
7. Assuming the TRANSPOSE Screen is still visible on the KN7000 display, just change the TRACK setting to 10 (Normal track for Drums in a MIDI file) and the TRANSPOSE value to -2, and press OK > YES.
NOTE: You could just Transpose each individual MIDI track but it is quicker to change all the tracks and then just correct the Drum track.
8. That completes the Key change process - Press EXIT button x4 to return to the Home Display.
9. Press the PLAY button in the Sequencer Group and start the modified Sequnce, You should now hear the Intro in its new Key with the rest of the Sequence unchanged.
10. Stop the Sequencer playing and press DISK > SAVE > SMF FORMAT 0.
11. Select a suitable location for the new MIDI File > NAME > (give the new file a suitable Name) > OK
12. Set the SAVE AS option to GM2 and press SAVE.
13. Finally, reload the New MIDI file into the Sequencer and you should hear the original MIDI File with its Transposed Intro.....

#502015 - 01/14/21 03:44 AM Re: Intro challenge [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Absolutely brilliant Bill. I've copied it for printing off and will have a go later this week...Rog

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online