SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#501284 - 10/27/20 02:23 PM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Bill Norrie]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
It occurred to me that it may be useful to list the Components of a KN Song File (a TFLDxxx file) and their purpose.
The number of Components in any Song File is determined during the original Save operation.

cmp - Composer, 3 banks of 4 variations, 4 intros, 4 endings and 8 fills each. 8 Part - 2 Drum parts, Bass and Accompaniments 1 to 5.
efc - Effect Memory file with 50 DSPs.
lsw - Current Panel memory.
msp - Performance Pad files. 18 pads, 3 banks of 6 each, pads 2 track.
pmt - Panel Memory file of 13 banks of 8 memories each.
sqt - Sequencer file, 10 songs and setups.
tm - Sound Memory, 40 sounds and drum kit.
ast - Custom Style section in flash memory. 20 complete styles, each style with 20 composer patterns, 4 registrations , 6 performance pads, and any edited sounds, drums and effects.
fav - 4 Favorites Pages of individually programmable menu functions in flash memory.
hmp - The individually programmable Home Page in flash memory.
md - 3 User Midi setups in flash memory.
cst - A single Custom Style in flash memory. 20 composer patterns, 4 registrations, 6 pads etc.

EDIT : Forgot to mention in my previous post, re. copying files from Floppy disk to SD Card.... Instead of doing so one at a time by loading from floppy and then saving to SD Card, there is a facility on the KN7000 to copy all the files on a floppy disk directly to an SD Card Folder in one operation. Press SD LOAD > SD TOOLS > COPY FROM DISK. It's a very slow process limited by the speed of floppy operation.

Edited by Bill Norrie (10/27/20 02:34 PM)

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#501308 - 10/31/20 06:55 PM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi,

Thanks for the detail. I have spent a lot of this week playing the keyboard and exploring creating custom sounds and rhythms.

I first owned a KN6500 about 12 years ago and I never really understood how deep it could go. After years of owning various other keyboards, has made me realise the capability of the sound editing and rhythm creation on the KN keyboards. I’m still blown away how far ahead of the times technics were!

I have also made a few blunders with loading in some of the styles off the SD card that was already in my KN7000 by including the panel memory settings to be loaded in... it took me a while to get my head around why my panel memory’s kept getting wiped!!

And by the way - I have a USB SD card reader so I will try a few things out with it in the next few days.

I have also ordered a cheap USB Floppy drive for the purpose of loading in custom styles - so if this works out easier than the SD card then I’ll decide to stick with that.

I have encountered another problem just last night... I have 4 custom sounds stored in the sound memory as well as a custom drum kit..

All of a sudden they all disappeared and reset back to factory...
everything else remained the same (all my panel memory’s, all my custom styles were stil all there)... so it has me very confused.

I have used some of the custom sounds and user drum kit in some of my custom styles. When I copy them to the user banks for editing in the composer, they still bring over the custom sounds and user drum kits... and then when I go back out of the composer, the user drum Kit and custom sounds are appearing back in the memory bank again...

Not sure if this is a bug or is my KN7000 playing up?? My first thoughts were the internal backup is done for but the fact that I am not losing my panel memory and custom styles tells me there’s something funny going on...

Anyone experienced this issue??

#501310 - 11/01/20 05:21 AM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Nick - the use of the word 'custom' in relation to Technics keyboards can be confusing to me and others because the Technics Company decided years ago in their wisdom to produce a very limited number of extra style files and create a specific space for them in the keyboard called the 'Custom' rhythm group - see rhythm group buttons one in from the right in the lower set.
I rather suspect you are using the word 'custom' in its general sense but you would need to confirm this before we can go any further, please...

#501311 - 11/01/20 05:50 AM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi Roger,

Apologies! When I say “custom” i am referring to something that i have made or someone else has made.. so basically a user sound or a user style...

I hope this helps?
Thanks

Edited by Nick G (11/01/20 05:50 AM)

#501313 - 11/01/20 08:08 AM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Ok - no worries - just needed to check.
Taking it step by step...
You find a Technics style file set for a particular song or rhythm on the computer. You download it to a floppy disk and take that floppy disk over to your KN7000 and load it up on the screen. At this moment it's in your KN7000 and is being temporarily stored in the rhythm group area/button called 'Memory'. You can go ahead and play music with it working through variations 1 to 4.
If you switch off it will dissappear immediately, and you're left with a basic default rhythm/style.
If you touch anyone of the panel memory buttons you will lose it and be left with whatever was default set up on that panel memory.
So.....
Whilst you have got it, save it to panel memories - for example Var1 to Panel memory A1; Var2 to Panel memory A2 etc. Then save all that to an SD Card giving it a recognisable name in the process.
Next time say 3 hours later you want to play it again. Switch on your keyboard and load it back up from the SD Card, and away you go.
Good luck...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online