SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#500743 - 09/21/20 02:00 PM Re: The state of the art? [Re: Diki]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have a C.S. on my Pa4X and SX900,but haven't gotten around to using it. The reason is that I have not found the need until lately. I have a busy left hand in that I comp and fill in progressions rather than resting it on a chord. Having said that,I do see the merits of C.S. when I want to put the left hand to better use. Right now,it is not to use the joy stick or ensemble playing,but using my DM48 wind instrument.

As an excuse,I would say that previous to Covid-19, I have been too busy with performances to properly investigate the added goodies. Like it or not,the time has come.

Bernie

Edited by Bernie9 (09/21/20 02:02 PM)

#500756 - 09/22/20 01:51 PM Re: The state of the art? [Re: Bernie9]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My favorite use of the CS is so that I can play anything I want with the LH while the chords continue with no freaking out. I like adding 7ths or 9ths or things like that while the chord recognition sticks to basic chords, that way it's me doing the flavoring rather than the whole band.

And on jazz, if the changes are preset, you can do all kinds of dissonance and alternate voicings etc. while the basic changes go round. Easy enough to turn the CS off if you want the band to follow alternate changes too, then back on for a different head.

Yamaha's 8 piece CS is a thing of beauty, though, biggest improvement in the feature since first invented! Separate CS's for the verse, chorus, bridge, vamps, etc. so you can still lean on the CS but not be tied to a start to finish structure. All loaded at the same time, ready to go...

Particularly on standards and light jazz pieces, having the head chords played for you just really allows you to concentrate on the most expressive solo you can without trying to shoehorn it around the chords!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online