#499880 - 07/11/20 06:21 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Reaper is also easy to use and has a free trial:

https://www.reaper.fm/

#499881 - 07/11/20 06:25 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The only thing I would disagree with Bill on is most internal cards not being up to task. Lenova IMO puts decent cards into their laptops. I use two laptops, but my main one is an old Fujitsu. Its had a few hardware upgrades (RAM, extra HD), but I use the internal card on it, and I’ve also used the internal card for recording vocals on a song I arranged for my neighbors kid. We did all vocals (lead/backup) using the internal card with no problems. Plus keep in mind the many 3rd party plugins (many free too), that let you clean up vocal tracks.

I’d suggest trying your Lenova’s internal card first for audio tracks. You may find it’s sufficient for your needs.

Oh., MixCraft has a nice trial demo too. There are some other free DAWS out there too. One I found very easy to use is one called Tracktion T7. Very straight forward and everything is essentially handled from the main GUI. My primaries are MixCraft and Cakewalk, but I also have Ableton and Tracktion T7, and Reason Lite (M-Audio Edition). Out of all those I still think MixCraft is the easiest to use with Tracktion T7 almost a tie with MixCraft.

Sqk
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#499882 - 07/11/20 11:03 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Cakewalk is a very serious bit of software but initially can be overwhelming. I've been using it for years to edit midi files but hardly scratched the surface of most of its audio capabilities.

#499885 - 07/11/20 12:03 PM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Forgot to add.., make sure you optimize Windows for audio work. You’d be surprised how big of a difference that can make in your laptops performance. Their are some programs that are CPU hogs too. Do a search for optimizing the version of Windows you’re using.

Sqk
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online