SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#499092 - 06/20/20 09:12 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Once you get used to Logic ... almost everything else looks like DOS. Studio ONE is a close second as far as GUI goes. When I was teaching I started all my kids on garage band and graduated them to logic and reason

#499097 - 06/20/20 10:34 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The problem with Logic is that you need a Mac, if you haven’t got one it gets very expensive as you have to buy the Mac first.

There are many free DAWs out there that operate similar to the paid for DAWs so best to try a few to see which you get on with best, (They may be all you need) then if you want to go further and get a paid for DAW, get one that operates similar to what you prefer. (There is no one size fits all)

Mappings for all the controllers out there is pretty comprehensive these days, so in many cases it’s just a matter of selecting the right one from a menu and everything is set up for you. (Unlike the old days)

Bill

#499098 - 06/20/20 10:39 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Uncle Dave]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Logic is amazing! If I had a Mac that’s all I’d be using. A lot of hype about ProTools, I can’t stand the program. My two main are Cakewalk (by BandLab.., which is essentially what Sonar) should have been, MixCraft 9 Pro, and Ableton every so often. I’ve been telling people that Cakewalk has got to be one of the best things going out there right now because you get a fully featured DAW.., and it’s FREE. Some of the VST’s that come with it are quite good too.., such as SI Drums, and SI String Ensemble. There are a lot free “good” sounding VST’s too if you don’t want to spend a lot of money. Two good example are Ample Guitar and Ample Bass free versions. Download those, and I guarantee the first question you ask is “how in the hell are these free?!?!” Spitfire Audio has LABS, they’re FREE and sound really good. There’s a bunch out there. You can piece together a nice list of free VST’s.., use Cakewalk, and not spend a penny.

Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (06/20/20 11:03 AM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#499101 - 06/20/20 11:16 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: squeak_D]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By squeak_D
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Hey Dan,, If you look closer to the things I compared, I think you will see the G70 was faster.. Writing a sound program, adding effects , capturing a style performance via midi capture (way faster), adding and editing sound parameters and sequence data... and never touching a mouse.. smile

That’s my point though Fran, and that is there doesn’t have to be a lot of mouse clicking either. Mapping controls isn’t just for the DAW. Many VST’s allow you to map controls to them as well. I can can open and close a VST, adjust parameters (including effects), and not touch the mouse. It’s like I said, it falls down to how well you know the DAW you’re using and the VST’s you have. Also.., many synth/workstations have preset templates built in for popular DAWS. My MOXF is a great example.

Sqk

Dan, I also have Ableton, New Cakewalk, and MixCraft9 pro studio..
I also have VIP and have used a lot of good controllers, the last being Code61.

Bang for the buck goes beyond free, MixCraft VST packages make it the bang for the buck winner to me.

I stand by every detail I mentioned.. none of the DAWS I have are a match for work flow against a keyboard like the G70.. For sound design, layout of quick ideas, and over all speed.. They named a DAW correctly Digital audio workstation..

In the MIDI area.. flow wise no contest..

Audio is a different story, that is the point of a DAW.

Fussing and setting up an elaborate controller is a pain, and no you can not depend on factory templates. VIP turned out to be a total nightmare..

The way to use a DAW for me... is to do everything on my G70 (midi wise, and send it to MixCraft or record into MixCraft. Then add audio, VST's, or video to the project..

This method is by far the best..

Dan when are you coming to the old neighborhood for a visit? Any of your family still here? Almost twenty years, I guess your daughter is all grown up... and you are getting to be an "old man" smile

#499103 - 06/20/20 11:33 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
squeak_D Offline

It just falls down to individuals needs in terms of workflow. MixCraft is great, but I honestly think its benefits in terms of included VST’s is in the synth category. The bread and butter presets are decent. Pianissimo is also a decent one too. When it comes to assigning controllers (for me) it’s very quick. Many of the VST’s out there have a quick midi learn feature that’s fast to set up.

I am getting closer to an old man now Fran. My oldest just graduated high school, and is heading to college. I’ve actually got two kids that graduated and going to college. We have six kids now. Five of them are adopted. Been a long time since I’ve been to Levittown. I often wonder what my grandparents house looks like today. I think it’s on Primrose.., and yes.., a lot of my family is still there.

Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (06/20/20 11:37 AM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#499105 - 06/20/20 11:45 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: squeak_D]
Fran Carango Offline

Primrose Lane hasn't changed much... younger folks.. What was the house number I will send you a pic..

#499107 - 06/20/20 11:53 AM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
squeak_D Offline

53 Primrose. I miss going there. The school was right around the corner and we always went there to play. Do you want me to send you my cell # via PM Fran? Thanks for the offer too. I know my seven siblings would love to see the place again.

Sqk

#499113 - 06/20/20 12:16 PM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: squeak_D]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By squeak_D
53 Primrose. I miss going there. The school was right around the corner and we always went there to play. Do you want me to send you my cell # via PM Fran? Thanks for the offer too. I know my seven siblings would love to see the place again.

Sqk

Sure, then I can text you 53 Primrose Lane pic smile

#499117 - 06/20/20 12:56 PM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: abacus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By abacus
The problem with Logic is that you need a Mac,

You mean the ADVANTAGE of Logic is that you GET to use a MAC. Best of both worlds for many.

#499119 - 06/20/20 01:17 PM Re: DAW vs Keyboard [Re: Uncle Dave]
squeak_D Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By abacus
The problem with Logic is that you need a Mac,

You mean the ADVANTAGE of Logic is that you GET to use a MAC. Best of both worlds for many.

Exactly!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online