SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#492990 - 03/27/20 10:58 PM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: john smies]
dud Offline

Loc: israel
I agree

#492999 - 03/28/20 04:26 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
HA! Don has you all fooled with that 'guitar thing'. I have it from a reliable source that he uses a REAL guitar.
smile smile

chas

#493010 - 03/28/20 08:23 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
What a great left handed compliment.

#493018 - 03/28/20 09:26 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
+++1 as well!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#493020 - 03/28/20 09:34 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: rikkisbears]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Dave, so SD7 is additional to the sx900?

Hi Rikki, As someone who plays full time, and also likes to dabble in the recording end of things, (sometimes for profit, most times for fun) I've always wanted a fully loaded arsenal at home. I also have a mindset that has me always prepared for "the next thing" ... which may come in handy in the coming months, as many of us will be restructuring our workload. My studio setup revolves around a Mac running Logic, and Studio ONE. These platforms allow me the versatility to produce almost any type of music on their own, and I add my own keyboard, guitar, drums etc to further enhance the product as desired. My main desk has an Akai 249 controller that connects me to all the sounds that reside in the computer, and my SX900 sits right beside for quick demo tracks of basic arrangements. The beauty of this setup is that I can record these tracks as audio AND midi, to allow sweetening, and editing later on. I can do most anything with these basic tools ... BUT - there's more - there's the live room (it's actually in the SAME room, lol) that allows me to record small bands while I man the controls that feed the "Big Mac".

I essentially have a section of the room dedicated to a live drummer, keyboardist, guitarist, and singer. Any more people than that, and I have to use my living room. The drum set is a Roland Octapad with dedicated Snare pad, and 2 cymbal surfaces for ride, and Hi Hats. This gives drummers the feel, and location of the main components that a traditional kit provides. For live, quiet work, I also have a small acoustic kit , with low volume cymbals in my living room.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPD-30KIT--roland-octapad-compact-electronic-drum-set-white

The "Korg Korner" is for keyboard players, and has the SV1 sitting under the PA4x - this gives the player killer EP/piano, bass, and organ/synth in a very compact package. These keyboards are also very robust, and I don't worry about players who are somewhat "heavy handed" ... I worry about that with the Yamaha key action, so I keep that one at my side that only I play. There's also a 14 channel mixer in the Korner that allows custom tweaks to the band's instruments, and feeds the main interface at the desk. I can also make a live OMB recording here, direct to the Korg with my vocals and harmonies, then transfer to the computer for further editing.

The Guitar section has a Roland Jazz Chorus with a Boss Acoustic Singer sitting on top to cover acoustic, electric, and looping, Both amps can DI straight to the Mac, so recordings can be done very quietly with every player on headphones. There are guitars, basses, mandolins, and ukes hanging on the walls, and banjos and backups in closets ready for their moment.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...tereo-combo-amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...c-combo-with-fx

My living room has the P-121 in a corner with a nylon string acoustic guitar for quiet couch sessions, and the teeny tine drum set I made from (jingle-less) tambourines, 12" snare drum, and a pancake kick drum.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...nch-black-satin

The SD7 will be the road warrior, and live in a case by the door, unless it's setup on stage, or in my trunk. Same with the guitars I use on stage.

So, you see - I have a diverse set of needs, and the tools I feel that best compliment those needs. I don't just buy the "next greatest thing", and I actually feel that I don't have any redundancy in my gear. Everything has a specific strength, and comfort factor that makes each piece a valuable tool in the arsenal. Fran will tell you that all he needs is a G70, Chas just needs a B3, and Donny ... well, that's a story for another day (he said with LOVE). We all have our "stuff", and as long as we're chasing our creative destiny ... it's all good. Guess I rambled on quite a bit, but I hope that answered your question. The picture of the desk area was before I got the Yamaha, so the PA4x was at my side. That's since been updated. Enjoy!

Attachments
IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

New Studio 3.jpg

#493029 - 03/28/20 10:52 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A man and his musical instruments ... BEAUTIFUL !!!

Careful, Dave, you are getting off the SD7 track ... oh but then, it is YOUR thread ... wink

#493033 - 03/28/20 11:02 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: tony mads usa]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By john smies
Originally Posted By hammer
How about getting back to Ketron subjects?
Deane

My idea all along, don't know why Tony got so upset about stating the obvious.
John

John ... So Deanne says lets get back to Ketron subjects - well, Bachus starting talking about Ketron, and yes, went off the path talking about a possible arranger from Italy which prompted a question from zuki, which Bachus then answered ...
I just didn't think that either of them going off the path was worthy of Bachus being told to "Get a life" ... As I said - not the first time going off track has happened on this board, won't be the last ...
Am I being a little oversensitive right now about how people are responding to each other, perhaps I am ... but I don't consider that a bad thing JMHO

Now, how about that SD7 ?!? keys

Hi Tony,
let's just keep it to the fact that we kind of agree to disagree here, no hard feelings which should go without saying really.
It if kind of funny how due to Uncle Dave acquiring a secondhand Ketron SD7 as well as me doing so a couple of months ago , has removed this keyboard from the backburner so to speak and imho rightly so. Mind it is not the answer to everyone's musical prayer and I do not pretend it is. I do stick to my remarks about Yamaha as compared to Ketron no matter how David, Rikki and others may feel on this issue.
I would like to repeat though that I would gladly add a number of fantastic yamaha sounds to my ketron SD7. If the price were not so prohibitive I would definitely go for an SD60 ( = SD9 with speakers) but also taking into account that I do not play the arranger keyboard that often as I also use my old stage piano more and more (as you may have heard if you downloaded my recent home made CD)I feel that the SD7 gives me ample stuff for my needs.
I am very much looking forward to hearing more from Dave on the SD7 (hopefully he will be doing a streaming session soon) as of course he is an absolute professional and listening to his recent recording of She's no lady, is a complete treat to me !!
In case you missed it, but I don't think you did, the links to the two songs I had a go at yesterday on the SD7.
Stay safe,
JOhn

Midnight Special EQ-ed
https://app.box.com/s/p7clot5g1aun9jrillw0rw9yohg8y9rv
Factory:
https://app.box.com/s/ati0x2nkd9i4tq04pdtc6esgnt6lpwpt

#493039 - 03/28/20 12:04 PM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Wow Dave,
that is one heck of a setup.

Can see why you would want a seperate keyboard to be able to just pick up and go to work. Not doubling up on what you already own, makes a great deal of sense. I ended up with 3 korgs, but only because I didn’t try and sell any of them,
put it in the “ too hard “ basket , wish I had, because selling them , didn’t prove to be a problem in the end.

The last thing you would probably want to do is have to unplug an existing one and take it to work, then put set up back together again.

Enjoy your new keyboard.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493043 - 03/28/20 12:37 PM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: rikkisbears]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By rikkisbears

The last thing you would probably want to do is have to unplug an existing one and take it to work, then put set up back together again.

That's the idea, Rikki. When I'm set up at the club, everything I use stays there from Thursday thru Sunday, so back at home - I need everything ready to play when I turn the switch on. Putting together a few thoughts for an SD7 "Live" tonight - stay tuned.....

#493045 - 03/28/20 12:46 PM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Putting together a few thoughts for an SD7 "Live" tonight - stay tuned.....

Good one Dave.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online