Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#4909 - 12/08/03 03:44 PM Re: Buying a .com after all
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Make music...
I'm not sure if that's entirely true...
I know a lot of people that have studios and synths, but don't play or write music.
Music is not something that they are good at. So they focus on things like recording and even synth programming and sound design. That's how they express themselves and make money too.
As a producer I have to do pretty much everything. From playing and writing to
mixing, sound design, recording and mastering. All of those things are equally important and equally difficult.
So , if someone decides to focus on programming modular synths - go for it. It is still art. May be not something a dedicated tuba player will be able to identify with, but a form of art nevertheless.

-ED-

PS
Hey Morph!
Where have you been ...jail?
Damn lysdexia, I told you she'll get you in trouble!
If you have any questions about MIDI stuff - ask ED (me ).
Later!

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 12-08-2003).]

#4910 - 12/09/03 06:42 PM Re: Buying a .com after all
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay Nigle, What do YOU suggest I do? What course of action? When I said I was not a musician, what I ment to sya is that I am not a song writter, or arranger or even a player for that matter. At the moment I have only one keyboard my ARP Omni. Which seldom gets played. It hard when you want to be like Billy Joel but just don't havre the drive or paitenice to spend on doing it. I mean I have tried really tried, but I just can not seem to do it. I have conditioned myself for so long into thinking that I am nto good enough that I can't seem to get out of this rut that I am in. It really hard for me. Either that or I don't really want to try because no matter what I do I know I have to work at it. When I have to work at it that's when I loose interest and get bored eaily and walk away, becuse it's not fun and enjoyable at all for me. If I could have fun with it I would. And what makes it harder is that I reall love keyboard instruments, and yet I can not even master one. I mean I don't even know my own style of music? So I keept by keybaords to help me find what sound or type of music I wanted to do. From analog to digital, from sampleing to groove maeking, and still nothing?

See here are some of the things that I like, I know I like music with a beat upbeat perferably. But at the same time I like to change sounds as well. That is part of the reason why I like modualr synths, but also like those groove boxes from roland. I mean if you can help me out that would be great or in the least point me in the right direction.

Um Morph I think you may have missed a previous topic of mine. Ed can fill you in.

Ed if you have anything to offer I am open as well.

Just so everyone knows I have not dished out the money for a .com modualr synth, or any other keyboard for that mater. I mean I would like a modular synth some day just not right now.

Ed, now before you say anything just hear me out. I know having a modular synth would be fun for me, but I think I need to start off simpler first and work my way up. Instead of just rushing in to sepnd $2,000.00 some odd dollars on a modular synth. That I wait until I am confident enough too buy one. Don't get me wrong I have NOT put off the idea of getting one, but wiating a few years before commiting myself to buying one. I think I need to commit myself to learing must first and refreshing my note reading.

You know I thing this gives me an idea for a new topic.

#4911 - 12/10/03 05:39 AM Re: Buying a .com after all
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Morph your email address does not exsit!

If you have any questions on vintage synths, I will try and ask them the best I can. Since I have a few boks on analog synths.

I have a couple of books on MIDI as well.

#4912 - 12/13/03 06:26 AM Re: Buying a .com after all
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Gee Paul, you seem to have an alter-life here at the General Discussion, while over at the General Arranger Discussion you tell a different story. Anyway, my aadvice to you is the same (as Nigel also said) - get on with it. Stop flirting around with these forums and get a keyboard. Iv'e played a lot of keyboards and synths in my day and truly can't see the advantage of a modular synth as your only playground, but that's up to you. Buy something - speak with knowledge.

TO ALL GENERAL DISCUSSION READERS - I suggest you check out this thread on the General Arranger Forum:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/007855.html

#4913 - 12/13/03 06:34 AM Re: Buying a .com after all
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's probably becuse I am messed up! Not mentaly messed up or strung out on drugs or anything. My mind is more like a Jackson Pallock Painting. All chaotic, one minute I want one thing, the next I want something else. Othere times I can't really figure out what it is that I want. That could also explain why I get so frustrated so easeily.

#4914 - 12/13/03 07:51 AM Re: Buying a .com after all
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Paul, you sound like a little kid trying to decide if he should go on a roller coaster. My final (?) suggestion is for you to take some plastic and go to GC WITH A FRIEND. Have him help you pick out a board. Buy one - buy something, buy anything, just start playing again. Try it, you'll like it.

#4915 - 12/13/03 09:28 AM Re: Buying a .com after all
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Yes,
SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP!

Were's tek with his big "slap" when you need him....

-ED-

#4916 - 12/15/03 06:49 AM Re: Buying a .com after all
Anonymous
Unregistered

DUH! Which way did they go George, which way did they go?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online