SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#489735 - 02/20/20 10:59 AM Re: South Dakota‘s trans youth get asylum in Germany [Re: captain Russ]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ
"Kid" is an expression of endearment. Hey, kid, I'm 75, so you could easily really be my kid, from an age standpoint.

I didn‘t know the use of the word in that sense, very nice of you, thanks very much!
BTW, I hope your son is making steady improvements, all the best for him!

#489741 - 02/20/20 11:49 AM Re: South Dakota‘s trans youth get asylum in Germany [Re: Crossover]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks so much. I'm usually pretty strong, but this almost got me. You'll never know how important "da kid's" kind words helps "D.O.D." (Dear Old Dad).

Be well, always. And know you have my emotional and ideological/philosophical support...ALWAYS!

D.O.D.

(Dear Old Dad)

Edited by captain Russ (03/02/20 01:12 PM)

#489923 - 02/21/20 08:30 PM Re: South Dakota‘s trans youth get asylum in Germany [Re: Crossover]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By Crossover
Kid? Not sure what that means (I‘m 51), maybe slang, but anyway, it‘s certainly nice to see someone really listening attentively to what experts say even if the topic causes an emotional reflex of strong irritation.

This is something I have been observing particularly since Trump was elected and nationalist parties are on the rise in many countries:
While it is a good thing to be skeptical about everything and to think for oneself instead of being gullible, this is now stretched so far that laymen usually give a shit on anything studied experts are saying, and everyone thinks he is an expert on these subjects, whether it is climate change or rare variants of sexual development. Again, we know who the role model for such a stance is...

Crossover,

I am 63, so I am in the middle ( I think) lol.

Anyway, the biggest thing with all this is that this has always been one of those "sensitive" subjects that are very hard to talk about. Like Abortion, Self assisted death and Same Sex Marriage.

Here you can have the first and third one but the middle one is about to come up again for voting in Tasmania ( OZ). A lot of discussion is going on and information is coming forward about it. Even a close friend of mine went along and has made up his mind for it ( when the time comes), for his issues.

It doesn't matter where you are on any of these subjects, but all are important. Some more important than others for certain people, true?

But everyone should be allowed to have their own opinion, one way or another and be able to say so. Even if it is the opposite of others.

Unfortunately, it has been evident that when someone has been in opposition to the one of these views that I listed above that you have brought up, they have been told in some shall I say , not so humbled words " you don't know what you are talking about". Or " you are religiously minded " etc. or worse.

This is what I have found in places like FB and on other forums and it is good not to get that BULLYING here or take things personally. I am glad that people are allowed to express both/ all sides , and in so doing everyone learns and grows up a bit.

Allan taz

#489945 - 02/22/20 06:20 AM Re: South Dakota‘s trans youth get asylum in Germany [Re: Crossover]
Crossover Offline

You‘re right, it‘s always better to stay unemotional and matter-of-fact.
However, I remember some discussions on Facebook in which I just coudn‘t stay calm: Another intersex woman I know from Facebook had given an interview in the youth channel of Bavarian public TV, and some comments were so insulting that I identified them as fascist, incitement of the people and threatened to inform prosecution about it.
But as long as there is no insulting, matter-of-fact argumentation is the only way to make others possibly reconsidering their stance.

#490112 - 02/24/20 04:42 AM Re: South Dakota‘s trans youth get asylum in Germany [Re: Crossover]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
You‘re right, it‘s always better to stay unemotional and matter-of-fact.
However, I remember some discussions on Facebook in which I just coudn‘t stay calm: Another intersex woman I know from Facebook had given an interview in the youth channel of Bavarian public TV, and some comments were so insulting that I identified them as fascist, incitement of the people and threatened to inform prosecution about it.
But as long as there is no insulting, matter-of-fact argumentation is the only way to make others possibly reconsidering their stance.

To true, you will always find someone who is very Opinionated, but hardly Educated.

There still is valid points to be heard from all sides, if people just listen and stop grandstanding.

Peace

Allan taz

#490567 - 02/28/20 07:08 PM Re: South Dakota‘s trans youth get asylum in Germany [Re: Crossover]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I didn‘t know the use of the word in that sense

Here is a very well known example from the movie Casablanca in 1942

#490836 - 03/02/20 09:37 AM Re: South Dakota‘s trans youth get asylum in Germany [Re: Crossover]
Crossover Offline

OK, convinced, really legendary... Thanks for the example!

#490864 - 03/02/20 01:10 PM Re: South Dakota‘s trans youth get asylum in Germany [Re: Crossover]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're quite welcome, KID! (LOL)

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online