SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#488757 - 02/08/20 12:10 AM KORG M1 as VST
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Just the other day I decided to give it a go and buy the software (VST) version of the legendary Korg M1 synthesizer. For 49 bucks it is a real steal. Was wondering if any of you here have got it or have experienced it and hoping to exchange views on it and its practical use.
For those not familiar with the Korg offer, it comes with the complete Korg M1 in software format, Plus all the extra sound and sample cards that were released in those days. Late 1980ties and early 1990ties. See also:
https://korg.shop/korg-collection-m1.html?___store=english

regards
John

#488758 - 02/08/20 12:55 AM Re: KORG M1 as VST [Re: john smies]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Dear John,

I have used it before and still do occasionally. It`s not only a good recreation of the original but also has all the content from the addon cards and the software and UI is very well done too. I bought the Korg Legacy Collection Digital Edition which had the Wavestation plugin as well. Both are real fun to play and also to get that typical 90`s sounds. Some of the combi`s when setup with the adjustment on the eq, effects etc. could give you a sonic palate for background scores and ambient textures. They recently added the sounds of the Triton in a dedicated vsti (also part of the collection bundle). For collectors and fans of the Korg synths from 90`s it`s an affordable recreation with all the goodies and no extra baggage of the board itself !! smile

I also must tell you that I tried using M1 vsti synths for assigning midi tracks to play through these. Found the mapping for drums were a bit awry(perhaps the kits I tried were not it`s not GM mapped.. but it does well fine for non-drum midi tracks) For drums I usually go to my Ketron SD2 and with the MidiWorks GM software it`s a breeze to control and set the Midi parameters for playback of midi files.

Good luck with your purchase and hope you have fun with it !! smile

Cheers,
Jez

#488760 - 02/08/20 04:40 AM Re: KORG M1 as VST [Re: john smies]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
John, Jez, I admire your search for perfection. In my younger days it was Cakewalk; which became Sonar.
It is another area that adds to enjoying our keyboards.

John C.

#488778 - 02/08/20 08:03 AM Re: KORG M1 as VST [Re: bruno123]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Hi John C,

Yes it`s satisfying when we do get good quality voices in the arrangement (again it`s subjective and may not be to someone else`s liking) but it does give pleasure to the ears smile Yeah even I did found Cakewalk, Fruityloops and Steinberg`s software simple to use when it came to Midi editing. However, Cakewalk Pro was my favourite but sadly don`t hear about it anymore.

Regards,
Jez

#488802 - 02/08/20 11:31 AM Re: KORG M1 as VST [Re: john smies]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I remember when it came out, I loved the mute trumpet on the M1 ... but not much else. The polyphony was ridiculously low to play any of the complex sounds as a chording instrument. The trumpet made a pretty nice tuba, too!

#488805 - 02/08/20 01:02 PM Re: KORG M1 as VST [Re: john smies]
Bachus Offline

The same synth is available on the ipad as a gadget, its exactly the same, costs €10 its a very nice one..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#488829 - 02/09/20 12:40 AM Re: KORG M1 as VST [Re: Bachus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Dave,

It goes without saying that the M1 was spectacular at the time and as such has been superseded by lots of stuff.
However you are missing the point here as regards the forte of this VST deal.Below a link to a review in Sound on Sound. Some of the essentials worth mentioning are:
All Cards etc.etc. that were released at the time with extra samples and sounds for both M1, M1ex and T1 models have been included , I believe well over 40 in all now.....And all its sounds and combis of course.
In contrast with the original M1 they have added the Resonance Filter to the Cut off filter which is VERY VERY important and was a great deficiency at the time.
Polyphony has now been increased to almost limitless !!!
the price being 49 dollars is of course another tempting argument.

For gigging this is totally useless.For playing at home , either as a professional or ,like me, as a hobbyist it may be well worth considering if you are into VST sounds.
I have incorporated this modul into my Mixcraft 9 Pro and it works great !!

regards
John

P.S. Bachus I am not sure whether the Ipad version contains all the extras as well ,but if it does I stand corrected.

link to review:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-legacy-digital-edition

#488851 - 02/09/20 05:35 AM Re: KORG M1 as VST [Re: john smies]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes the ipad version contains all the extra’s. It’s exactly the same only a lot cheaper on the iPad. Very nice app. I love to mix my arranger sounds with it. Has the famous m1 piano and organ sounds used in many dance music from the 90’s.

#488930 - 02/09/20 10:27 PM Re: KORG M1 as VST [Re: FransN]
Torch Offline

The whole Korg Legacy Collection including M1, Wavestation, and other plug-ins are great in that they sound pretty good, and they change sounds instantly, but no patch remain or smooth sound transition while many Roland plug-ins offer patch remain. I use all these plug-in Gig Performer which makes patch remain possible.

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#488942 - 02/10/20 03:42 AM Re: KORG M1 as VST [Re: FransN]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By FransN
Yes the ipad version contains all the extra’s. It’s exactly the same only a lot cheaper on the iPad. Very nice app. I love to mix my arranger sounds with it. Has the famous m1 piano and organ sounds used in many dance music from the 90’s.

Yes only wish however that Korg would make all their gadgets and ipad synths AUv3 compiant. This would make my Camelot Pro and AUM setup so much more usefull..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online