SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#488406 - 02/04/20 04:37 AM keyboard Controller ?
Dnj Offline

What is the best kb Controller, bang for the buck, features knobs,
sliders, Keybed and why?

Edited by Dnj (02/09/20 12:08 PM)

#488411 - 02/04/20 05:16 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Depends what you want to use it for, there is no one size fits all.

Bill

#488412 - 02/04/20 05:18 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By abacus

Bill

Thank you gives me something to think about.

#488416 - 02/04/20 06:01 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny, I had a CME UF76, it had the best keybed at the time I bought it. I went to Sweetwater, tried every MIDI keyboard they had and chose that for Keybed quality. It had knobs, sliders buttions all I needed so it was great. I used it under a Korg PA2XPRO and later by itself with vArranger. I sold it not long ago. It had almost as nice keybed as the Korg.

When I go to visit family in Ft.Wayne, IN this August I am going to try all the MIDI kbds again. Looking for a 61 with the best Keybed. Don't need many controllers this time as it will be under the SX-900 for organ setup.

In playing a couple here at Guitar center, Novation seemed pretty good....

#488422 - 02/04/20 06:28 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By leeboy
Donny, I had a CME UF76, it had the best keybed at the time I bought it. I went to Sweetwater, tried every MIDI keyboard they had and chose that for Keybed quality. It had knobs, sliders buttions all I needed so it was great. I used it under a Korg PA2XPRO and later by itself with vArranger. I sold it not long ago. It had almost as nice keybed as the Korg.

When I go to visit family in Ft.Wayne, IN this August I am going to try all the MIDI kbds again. Looking for a 61 with the best Keybed. Don't need many controllers this time as it will be under the SX-900 for organ setup.

In playing a couple here at Guitar center, Novation seemed pretty good....

Lee good luck in your quest......
so what do you like or dislike so far about the SX900 since you bought it for your needs..?
I'm pretty much bored with it all out there at the moment.

Edited by Dnj (02/04/20 06:28 AM)

#488449 - 02/04/20 09:11 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Yeah, we noticed smile. As to controllers, I have three but my all time favorite is my ancient Roland A70; 76 keys, 4 zones, each with midi in/out, all zones are separately programmable, both 'stick' and wheels (which can be used interchangeably), very logical control surface, seperate buttons and dials for each function (no menu diving), clean/clear digital display, and best of all, a great keybed (same as the G70). Oh, almost forgot, a sound card with most of the Roland legacy sounds. I use it in my studio to control 4 different modules. The only 'con' I can think of is no USB midi (shoud you need it), but that's a pretty easy workaround. Good luck finding one, though. Mine is 'chery' having never been out of the studio (like most controllers). BTW, why are you looking for a controller and what do you plan to use it on? Looks like the Tyros 2's shelf life has expired. What's next, player-piano? smile smile

chas

chas

#488453 - 02/04/20 09:19 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj

Yeah, we noticed smile. As to controllers, I have three but my all time favorite is my ancient Roland A70; 76 keys, 4 zones, each with midi in/out, all zones are separately programmable, both 'stick' and wheels (which can be used interchangeably), very logical control surface, seperate buttons and dials for each function (no menu diving), clean/clear digital display, and best of all, a great keybed (same as the G70). Oh, almost forgot, a sound card with most of the Roland legacy sounds. I use it in my studio to control 4 different modules. The only 'con' I can think of is no USB midi (shoud you need it), but that's a pretty easy workaround. Good luck finding one, though. Mine is 'chery' having never been out of the studio (like most controllers). BTW, why are you looking for a controller and what do you plan to use it on? Looks like the Tyros 2's shelf life has expired. What's next, player-piano? smile smile
chas

Chas I'll ignore your first sentence....

Edited by Dnj (02/04/20 11:48 AM)

#488459 - 02/04/20 09:41 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Just take a break from keyboards and buy a Nintendo switch coffee

#488468 - 02/04/20 10:14 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Best" depends on what you use it for. Piano would be hard to do with organ keys and vice versa.
I liked the old Roland/Edirols because they had 50 or more programmable buttons, sliders and knobs. Plus the light touch that I prefer.

#488472 - 02/04/20 10:37 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: FransN]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By FransN
Just take a break from keyboards and buy a Nintendo switch coffee

Sorry not a gamer in anyway shape or form.

#488473 - 02/04/20 10:39 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
"Best" depends on what you use it for. Piano would be hard to do with organ keys and vice versa.
I liked the old Roland/Edirols because they had 50 or more programmable buttons, sliders and knobs. Plus the light touch that I prefer.

I have tried the controller route many times without success
was just wondering what was new on the market..
I doubt I will go that way again.

#488475 - 02/04/20 10:44 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
This Roland feels great, has loads of bells an whistles that make PC generated music a breeze, and will fit on most desktops.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...keys-and-8-pads

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 1.43.27 PM.png

#488479 - 02/04/20 10:57 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj

chas

Chas I'll ignore your first sentence....
that said been there done that and yes a great controller
Roland A37 I enjoyed also used on stage many times with a Ketron Midjay great keyfeel too.
Thanx cool2

Donny no comparison A37 with an A70.. A37 is a basic "get by" 76 key controller with no features.
A70 is one of the best controllers ..ever. The High end Roland "A" controllers were leaders and can hold there own on stage or in your bedroom.

#488482 - 02/04/20 11:22 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thanks Fran. I just didn't want to correct/confront Donny as he's very sensitive smile. Part of his charm (I use the term loosely smile ) is his total disregard for detail smile. It's so boring to read a post to the end and absorb it before responding to it smile. But hey, we love him anyway, right. Right?

chas

Edited by cgiles (02/04/20 11:23 AM)

#488493 - 02/04/20 01:03 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By abacus

Bill

Thank you gives me something to think about.

LOL - now that's funny smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#488500 - 02/04/20 01:47 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By DonM

I have tried the controller route many times without success
was just wondering what was new on the market..
I doubt I will go that way again.

I dont think there is any true controller that fits the arranger olayers prefered workflow....

You want to use it to controll a module?
Its best to use the knobs on the module then,,

And if you choose a module?
Why not add a keyboard with onboard sounds,..

Thats where the nord stage 3 comes in.. it has 2 zones for external instruments
Program one for right, the other for left sounds..

Another option is any of the big 3 workstations..
Fantom, kronos or montage,,, or even modx..
But they are less flexible then the nord stage 3 compact with a module

Dont try to controll the module with a masterkeyboard..
This will not really work,..
Just place the module where you can conveniently controll it

http://keyszone.boards.net

#488504 - 02/04/20 01:53 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Thank you all for the great info and replies surly something to think about.Just maybe styles aren't the answer anymore..
we'll see....

Edited by Dnj (02/04/20 01:53 PM)

#488523 - 02/04/20 04:25 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Donny, I believe Deane used the Roland A- 800 quite a while with his modules and always liked it. You may want to reach out to him.

#488526 - 02/04/20 04:38 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had excellent results controlling both BK7m and SD40 with the Roland 800 pro. You can access things that you can't even do directly from the modules. Programming takes a while, but a special free app comes with it to help.

#488535 - 02/04/20 07:19 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Full featured controllers are a real time saver when you program them to compliment your DAW. I use the AKAI MPK 249, and I LOVE it. The knobs, sliders, and pads can trigger almost ANYTHING MIDI can read. I draw EQ curves, transmit CC changes, operate transport controls - and, of course, it plays all the on board sounds in the computer, as well as outboard midi gear. 2 Thumbs up!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249--akai-professional-mpk249-keyboard-controller

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.16.47 PM.png

#488539 - 02/05/20 05:30 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Full featured controllers are a real time saver when you program them to compliment your DAW. I use the AKAI MPK 249, and I LOVE it. The knobs, sliders, and pads can trigger almost ANYTHING MIDI can read. I draw EQ curves, transmit CC changes, operate transport controls - and, of course, it plays all the on board sounds in the computer, as well as outboard midi gear. 2 Thumbs up!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249--akai-professional-mpk249-keyboard-controller

For a keyboardist, those cheaper akai keys feel awfull..

The Advance series tough has a nice keybed..
However its VIP software and support is generally seen as a disaster..

#488543 - 02/05/20 06:54 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This is such a subjective question honestly. The market is now flooded with various controller options, and the price range is literally from one end of the spectrum to the other. It falls down to your personal needs. Are you wanting synth, semi, or fully weighted keys? Do you need aftertouch? How much hands on control do you need, will you benefit from a set of sliders, rotary knobs, buttons, and drum pads. Does it need to be BUS powered? The list just goes on, and with today’s selection it seems there is a controller out there to fit most peoples needs. Sweetwater has a great “product filtering” option to narrow down your search.

My controller needs were a bit different. I required at least 88 fully weighted keys. However my weighted key needs are of the minority. Most manufacturers for some time now use graded hammer action keybeds. I prefer a balanced hammer action. That requirement alone drastically reduced my options. I was actually willing to spend a considerable amount of money on a high end weighted controller, but I’m very picky about having a balanced hammer action. So, I ended up having to go with the MAudio Hammer 88. It’s very minimalist, but that was a trade off I had to accept for a balanced key action.

Sqk
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#488544 - 02/05/20 06:56 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Bachus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

For a keyboardist, those cheaper akai keys feel awfull..

However its VIP software and support is generally seen as a disaster..

Couldn't disagree more - The Akai is one of the better feeling keybeds I tried. Firm, and responsive. Not spongy or wiggly like many others.

#488545 - 02/05/20 07:08 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I had a Arturia keylab once and really like that one and it came with great software. But as squeak said it is very subjective. Today I find my arranger with an iPad a much better solution.

#488547 - 02/05/20 07:12 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
This is probably apparent by now, but it depends what you want to do with it. Hardware or software is the first question. If hardware-probably the Roland. If software-which software and which DAW? Some controllers work with specific DAWs and software. Answer those questions and you'll be there. If you say "everything" it gets murkier.

#488550 - 02/05/20 08:01 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

For me keybed quality is #1, and it will be under the SX-900 as a lower manual, so physical size issues are important. I will bring the SX right down on top of it and I will have slightly tilted down and overhanging keys, just like the Yamaha Organ I had. Not in a hurry so I will test them at Sweetwater this summer when I go to visit family. (I lived 10 minutes from Sweetwater, that was way cool!). The Roland A800 and one of the novations is waht I an thinking about. It HAS to have real MIDI out as well. I will not need any controllers on it.

#488555 - 02/05/20 08:47 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyStatn3-61--m-audio-keystation-61-mk3-keyboard-controller

For my money, the M-Audio looks like a great option from what you described. You'll make all your edits and changes from the top KB anyway, so minimal buttons on the bottom is OK.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 11.48.23 AM.png

#488567 - 02/05/20 03:35 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Vadim Offline

I'm actually looking for "best" midi controller for myself also.
want it to be like PSR or tyros key-feel.
I want to buy one strictly for midi controller use because of shallow key depth and good key feel.
need it to be thin, unlike the majority of them, so it can fit under my desk.

#488571 - 02/05/20 03:47 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Vadim]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By Vadim
I want to buy one strictly for midi controller use because of shallow key depth and good key feel.

I really like this one the Novation Mk3 61 replacing the white and pink lite MK2. It is a controller and sequencer in one.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...-with-sequencer
It has a great interface with software and the feel is really nice and not soft or plastic as some.

Attachments
SLMkIII-PP-Overhead-1067-396_0.png

#488585 - 02/05/20 05:06 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Dave, good possibility of the one you said...IF I can live with no splits in the MIDI kbd....it only does one MIDI channel.
So If I want left split for SX on the left of split on MIDI kbd, and say right 3 of SX on right split of MIDI kbd, can;t do that on this one....

#488589 - 02/05/20 05:41 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: leeboy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Dave, good possibility of the one you said...IF I can live with no splits in the MIDI kbd....it only does one MIDI channel.
So If I want left split for SX on the left of split on MIDI kbd, and say right 3 of SX on right split of MIDI kbd, can;t do that on this one....

Sure you can if you’re triggering the SX. The split is internal and you’ll still only hear the Yamaha. It’s works exactly like playing the SX keys themselves

#488590 - 02/05/20 05:55 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: tassiespirit]
Vadim Offline

Originally Posted By tassiespirit

I really like this one the Novation Mk3 61 replacing the white and pink lite MK2. It is a controller and sequencer in one.
It has a great interface with software and the feel is really nice and not soft or plastic as some.

How close is that key feel to yamaha Psr-s / tyros series ?

#488600 - 02/05/20 08:23 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Vadim]
tassiespirit Offline

How close is that key feel to yamaha Psr-s / tyros series ? [/quote]

This is to me one very well sorted controller and the feel I believe is firmer and dare I say "more positive" is response and touch I have found.

"SL MkIII boasts our finest and most playable synth-style semi-weighted keybed, with a sprung action tuned to the needs of the experienced player. It’s got aftertouch too, assignable to anything. Its exceptionally high scan rate of 10 kHz gives the keys a super dynamic feel for expressive performances. And you can see scales, modes and zones instantly with vibrant on-key RGB LED feedback."

If you check out their site for information I think you will find it is a leap over the older MK11 board ( which to me had a great medium feel), and this is similar to it. This board has assignable after touch as well.

"Deep integrations with Logic® and Reason – plus HUI compatibility with Cubase, Pro Tools®, Studio One and Reaper – mean SL MkIII can open up any DAW."

https://novationmusic.com/en/keys/sl-mkiii

Allan taz

Edited by tassiespirit (02/05/20 08:29 PM)

#488602 - 02/05/20 08:45 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: tassiespirit]
tassiespirit Offline

Product Hardware Specifications

49 or 61 note velocity sensitive, individually sprung, synth style, semi-weighted keyboard
16 full-colour RGB backlit velocity sensitive drum pads
2 Page and 2 scene launch buttons
8 continuous rotary knobs
8 sliders
6 dedicated transport controls
RGB backlit pitch bend and modulation wheels
2 octave / transpose buttons
2 Track buttons
5x RGB TFT LCD screens
59 Backlit buttons with tact switches
49 or 61 keybed RGB LEDs
16 Assignable buttons x 2 pages (32 assignable buttons)
Assignable grid x 2 pages | (32 assignable pads)
Backlit RGB Mode switching buttons including InControl

Rear Panel & Connectors

Power switch
DC power socket
USB B 2.0
MIDI IN, OUT, OUT2 / THRU - 3x 5-pin DIN sockets
Sustain and Expression pedal 1/4" TRS jack inputs
Footswitch pedal 1/4" TS jack input
CV, Gate, Modulation -1- on 3.5mm jack sockets
CV, Gate, Modulation -2- on 3.5mm jack sockets
Clock out
Kensington security slot

Sequencer

64 Sessions
8 Tracks per session
8 Patterns per track (16 steps per Pattern for a total of 128 steps per track)
Real time record (notes, with velocity and automation)
Auto-quantise notes to steps and automation to 6 events per step
All assignable controls can be automated (8 maximum automation lanes)
Internal tempo range 40 - 240
Swing 20 - 80%

Real Time Performance

16 Scale types and chromatic transposition
Split the keys into 8 playable zones
Pattern expand view - flip the grid
Pattern start and end, direction incl. random
Configurable pattern chain
Session instant switching and queued switch

Editing

Velocity and gate per step
Multiple gate lengths per step (via real time record)
Automation edit per step
Clear step, automation parameter per pattern, pattern, session
Duplicate step, pattern

Software

Ableton Live Lite included
4 GB of Loopmasters sounds and samples

#488609 - 02/06/20 06:56 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: tassiespirit]
Vadim Offline

This is to me one very well sorted controller and the feel I believe is firmer and dare I say "more positive" is response and touch I have found.

"SL MkIII boasts our finest and most playable synth-style semi-weighted keybed, with a sprung action tuned to the needs of the experienced player. It’s got aftertouch too, assignable to anything. Its exceptionally high scan rate of 10 kHz gives the keys a super dynamic feel for expressive performances. And you can see scales, modes and zones instantly with vibrant on-key RGB LED feedback."

If you check out their site for information I think you will find it is a leap over the older MK11 board ( which to me had a great medium feel), and this is similar to it. This board has assignable after touch as well.

"Deep integrations with Logic® and Reason – plus HUI compatibility with Cubase, Pro Tools®, Studio One and Reaper – mean SL MkIII can open up any DAW."

https://novationmusic.com/en/keys/sl-mkiii

Allan taz

thank you. I'll try testing it out at a store.

I have NI A61 and S61.
S61 uses premium fatar keybed and A61 is based on S61, but neither are as playable for me as Yamaha PSR-S and old Tyros.

Edited by Vadim (02/06/20 06:56 AM)

#488615 - 02/06/20 08:47 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Dave, If you want the lower (MIDI) kbd to have a split point, left part controlling SX900 LH and chords...AND you want right of split on the lower to let's say do SX900 RH voice 3, the MIDI kbd has to have a split function sending MIDI note data on 2 different channels.... (99% sure about this).
Most MIDI controllers can do this, not all.

#488617 - 02/06/20 09:32 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Looks like the Roland A-800 does have split point with send via 2 different MIDI channels....So I am looking at that one now...I think some one said the keybed was really good?

#488624 - 02/06/20 10:22 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: tassiespirit]
Bachus Offline

Has the same great keybed as the much appraised Novation SL mk2..
The controlls are great when you controll a daw or midi hardware..
Sadly doesn’t integrate to well with ios and my ipad..

#488625 - 02/06/20 10:23 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: leeboy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Dave, If you want the lower (MIDI) kbd to have a split point, left part controlling SX900 LH and chords...AND you want right of split on the lower to let's say do SX900 RH voice 3, the MIDI kbd has to have a split function sending MIDI note data on 2 different channels.... (99% sure about this).
Most MIDI controllers can do this, not all.

Lee, I use my Korg SV-1 sending one midi channel into the SX900 and I can play splits and layers all by setting it up on the SX. The Korg is only sending note info - the Yamaha decides where the sounds come from

#488641 - 02/06/20 12:29 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

Lee, I use my Korg SV-1 sending one midi channel into the SX900 and I can play splits and layers all by setting it up on the SX. The Korg is only sending note info - the Yamaha decides where the sounds come from

Hi ,
I’ve done that with my p121 also. It plays the sx notes ( p121 sound is muted)
The Sounds , styles , splits etc are saved as registrations in the sx.

Only time I use p121 piano sound is when I play solo piano, or play along to a midi file or mp3.

P121 certainly isn’t ideal as a controller as it doesn’t have the dedicated midi ports,
apparently I can buy some sort of midi interface,. Currently I am using my laptop as interface and for home use it’s working perfectly for me.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#488843 - 02/09/20 05:09 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Dave, Rikki..thanks...
So to clarify.
I can have the lower kbd playing chords only on the Left side of it, AND the lower kbd playing ONLY Right voice 3 for SX-900....AND the SX kbd playing only right 1 and 2 sounds across entire kbd? (as an example)

#488944 - 02/10/20 05:05 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
tassiespirit Offline

Have a look at the new 'boards at Namm 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWWtFTB2wbE

#489012 - 02/10/20 01:02 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: leeboy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Dave, Rikki..thanks...
So to clarify.
I can have the lower kbd playing chords only on the Left side of it, AND the lower kbd playing ONLY Right voice 3 for SX-900....AND the SX kbd playing only right 1 and 2 sounds across entire kbd? (as an example)

Hi Lee,
in my set up no.
I’m really just replacing my sx keybed with the p121 keybed so that I can play weighted keys instead of synth keys.
Whatever split is assigned on the sx900, my p121 uses. I’m not using any p121 sounds in my setup. It’s really just giving me an sx with 73 keys.

I’ve never been an organ player , so stacked keyboard set up ( to try and emulate an organ) doesn’t work for me.

Mine is an L shape configuration. I have a set of monitor speakers in front of my p121. I have my sx to the side ( plugged into the monitors) .

So when I want to play solo piano, I just turn on the p121.
When I want to play sx900 with 73 weighted keys , I turn on sx900 and p121 and monitor speakers. I use a pedal to walk me thru registrations on the sx900.
If I just want to play SX900 in normal mode, I just switch it on.

The p121 doesn’t have dedicated midi sockets, so at the moment , I just use my laptop as a midi interface between the sx 900 and p121.

Dave will have to tell you how his setup works.

Edited by rikkisbears (02/10/20 01:04 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#489297 - 02/14/20 12:43 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Vadim Offline

Tried more lower-end psr's at the store today, and midi controllers, all their key feel were not like higher-end psr at all.
But they had a used Roland A-70 controller and this was very close to psr key feel, so far the closest one

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online