SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#488432 - 02/04/20 07:25 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny
I guess you could say we're versatile. As you know all too well its important to read your audience so we do that. We're working off of my extensive songlist which has every type of music in it. So if they want a Cha Cha, Waltz we do that. Motown, no problem. I know a bunch. Swing, Country, Disco, R&R we hit all the bases. I worked with this sax player back in Jersey and he's top notch. He was too busy back when I landed here as i wanted to do this project then. Just really starting out so we'll see what happens. We want the CC affairs and private parties, not so much the deckertainment which is all over. It gets HOT out there.

#488433 - 02/04/20 07:30 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: wrinkles303]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By wrinkles303
would you hire this guy!?
this is me on a good day. no work here in columbus oh. different culture from florida.
left alot of gigs and a great living there due to health. that was 12 years ago.
so life is what it is. now the good stuff is now i can buy what ever i want. but no desire to buy. go figure.

???/there has to be many nursing home, assisted living, weddings, anniversaries, birthdays all over Ohio? and elsewhere ....but it is up to you if you want to play out or just in your room your choice...enjoy your nap......good luck
you just gotta go Grab them.....

#488434 - 02/04/20 07:36 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Donny
I guess you could say we're versatile. As you know all too well its important to read your audience so we do that. We're working off of my extensive songlist which has every type of music in it. So if they want a Cha Cha, Waltz we do that. Motown, no problem. I know a bunch. Swing, Country, Disco, R&R we hit all the bases. I worked with this sax player back in Jersey and he's top notch. He was too busy back when I landed here as i wanted to do this project then. Just really starting out so we'll see what happens. We want the CC affairs and private parties, not so much the deckertainment which is all over. It gets HOT out there.

That sounds great and that’s my approach too, variety, and read the crowd.

The hard thing is trying to explain to perspective clients, activity directors , and club owners, when they ask what kind of music you play. Nowadays, musicians, cover bands, track singers have become very specialized, often focusing on one artist or band, a certain era or a specific year. I pride myself on being able to play many styles, but it seems some people can’t rap their head around variety. Do variety bands still even exist?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#488435 - 02/04/20 07:51 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Back to the original post, I do play out but not nearly as much as I’d like too. My excuse is there are hardly any venues with live music and far too many ( often times very talented ) musicians looking for work.

Finding work, collecting payment, and getting people to come to your gigs is no easy task. I’ll be able to retire from my teaching job at age 53 with full benefits, and my dream was to go into music full time but I’m having my doubts .... We’ll see....

During slow times like now, I’m considering busking. It would be better to be out there playing rather than complaining!

#488438 - 02/04/20 08:08 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Paul Bill others ....
IMO there is just too much going on musically on the music scene and technology on how to create and perform music playing out is super difficult in today's world....everyone likes to listen or dance to something else. to generalize audiences like we did years ago as pretty much the world listened to the same kind of music....
but now it is absolute chaos out there confused2
And it is getting worse if you don't embrace change and be able to find your niche` somehow. In just a few more years when all the WWII generation and Baby boomers are gone it will be even harder.
Nursing homes will be full of hip hop generation people lol....
Computer driven music will be the dominate force and expected.
Weddings, and most private functions are beyond expensive and you are controlled by clients, wedding planners, and every other Hoo Haaa who thinks they know in advance what is going to happen at the affair and wants YOU to play certain music at certain times ignoring you reading the audiences, crazy requests for who know what kind of music they sing in their car, line dances of ever caliber, Grrrrrrr surprised !! In a way I am glad I had my time out there and started young and now at only 67 can sit back and watch the craziness as an audience member not having to go through the trenches in today's gigging environment. Enough venting let's hear more about your thoughts..

Edited by Dnj (02/04/20 08:09 AM)

#488439 - 02/04/20 08:10 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Maybe retirement - MAYBE ... wink ... but if people are still calling me to play, welll ... grin

and you can play at home too correct?...it never stops..

Only a major illness or death would stop me from 'playing' ...
When we had the band in NY, we would sometimes talk to people who would say "yeah, I USED TO play", and wonder how can anyone "used to play" ... confused1 ...

#488443 - 02/04/20 08:21 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Paul Bill others ....
IMO there is just too much going on musically on the music scene and technology on how to create and perform music playing out is super difficult in today's world....everyone likes to listen or dance to something else. to generalize audiences like we did years ago as pretty much the world listened to the same kind of music....
And it is getting worse if you don't embrace change and be able to find your niche` somehow. In just a few more years when all the WWII generation and Baby boomers are gone it will be even harder.
Weddings, and most private functions are beyond expensive and you are controlled by clients, wedding planners, and every other Hoo Haaa who thinks they know in advance what is going to happen at the affair and wants YOU to play certain music at certain times ignoring you reading the audiences, crazy requests for who know what kind of music they sing in their car, line dances of ever caliber, Grrrrrrr surprised !! In a way I am glad I had my time out there and started young and now at only 67 can sit back and watch the craziness as an audience member not having to go through the trenches in today's gigging environment. Enough venting let's hear more about your thoughts..

That's a very bleak picture you're painting Donny, but you really described the reality of the situation.

I have so many stories of event planners telling me exactly what to play and when, and usually it never works as planned. But what do you do? I try my best to please them but as the old saying says " you can't please everyone all the time"

#488447 - 02/04/20 08:44 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
Originally Posted By Dnj
Paul Bill others ....

That's a very bleak picture you're painting Donny, but you really described the reality of the situation.

I have so many stories of event planners telling me exactly what to play and when, and usually it never works as planned. But what do you do? I try my best to please them but as the old saying says " you can't please everyone all the time"

Paul I tried to be honest after seeing the changes happening all around me in the past 50+ years. eek2
I wish I could say it isn't so but it is what it is and getting worse,.....either change with the times or give it up and play at home is pretty much what's left.
And if you don't sing only makes it even harder.
Adding another piece or 2 or 3 just cuts the profits
that much more too. Go out there and watch other acts perform
and look at the audience reaction to what is being played and watch the dance floor is it filled song after song, or not? ask yourself why or what can I do to make it better! ....that alone will give you a sense of what is needed if you are going to compete.
And also you need a tremendous EGO telling yourself I AM THE BEST even though your not but it sure build your confidence....
and always be open to ABSORB from others,...take a little bit from all you see out there and customize it to suit YOUR needs.
I know it is a harsh reality! cool2
Have Fun!

#488457 - 02/04/20 09:25 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The only reason I'm not playing out is I am no longer physically capable. Too many body parts are shot to Hell, but I still play at home just about ever night. Today, the keyboard goes into the shop for an on/off switch replacement, and if I were still playing out, they would repair it while I wait. Now, they say it will take about a week or two to get the parts and make the repairs.

When I was working, I pretty much was able to work anywhere, nite clubs, bars, restaurants, nursing homes, assisted living centers, retirement communities, animal clubs, American Legions, VFWs, Amvets, corporate parties, private parties, pool parties, grand openings for stores, coffee shops, living room parties, the list is essentially endless.

Now, in order to get all these jobs, you have to promote yourself. You have to hit the bricks, put together an ad package, and become a PR person for your entertainment package. The vast majority of musicians CANNOT do this. Yes, you can be a great musician, maybe the best in your part of the world, but if you cannot sell yourself forget playing out let along making enough money to make a living and support our family.

Next comes diversity. As Paul said, you must be able to read the audience. Again, must musicians CANNOT! Do doubt in my mind. They tend to play the kind and genre of music they enjoy, which more often than not is what the audience wants to hear. Kinda like the DJ that does a wedding reception job and fires up with the latest hip-hop and rap music when 95 percent of the audience is over 65 years of age. I do not agree with Donny about the nursing homes being filled with hip-hop and rap fans during our lifetimes - it ain't gonna happen!

During the final years of my musical career, particularly the final decade, I worked an average of 350 to 450 jobs a year. I was always booked a year in advance, did a fair number of doubles, an occasional triple, yet still found time to take my wife and children fishing, sailing and participate in other activities involving the entire family. This is an important aspect of life, at least from my point of view.

As for why most forum members are not on stage - well, it requires a lot of work to do this full time, which is not something that everyone wants to do, especially when they already have a full time job. Granted, it was always a lot of fun being an entertainer, again, something most musicians are not. They may be great musicians, but there's a big difference between a great entertainer and a great musician.

I spent the last two decades doing the senior circuit pretty much full time. Why? Well, that's where the money was. It provided the highest hourly pay rate, you played in the middle of the day, thus avoiding rush hour traffic, you could pick the number of days you wanted to play, book the jobs up to a year in advance, usually only had to work just an hour a day for the same pay the clubs and restaurants paid for 4 hours, and the audiences were wonderful. I would often play a 1 p.m. job, then pick up the wife and kids and be on the water sailing or fishing at 3 p.m. the same day. What's not to like about a job like this.

Unfortunately, I guess I rode this old horse a bit too hard and put him away wet a few too many times. But, I made it to age 76 before health issues forced me to hang it up, reluctantly. During that 30 plus years I was full time on stage, I did have the forethought to set up 3 retirement programs, did not spend huge sums of money purchasing gear and ran my musical career like a small business. That said, I often look back and wish I could have continued until I dropped dead on the job.

So if you do not play out, even one night a week, enjoy playing at home or wherever you play your arranger keyboard. Playing out is a JOB!

Sorry about the rant, but I'm old and cantankerous, wink

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/04/20 09:25 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#488458 - 02/04/20 09:25 AM Re: Why aren't you playing out? [Re: Dnj]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I actually have more work than I can handle. The music scene is White HOT here in Florida, there are 100's of thousands of boomers and snowbirds living in HOA's, 55+ Communities, etc. who LOVE to party. There is enough work for everyone! This year I will be playing the parks; Seaworld and Busch Gardens and heaven knows how much more work will come from that.

They want to hear a broad mix of music; 60, 70, 80, 90, 00's from all genres. I play it all and people love it. I have a bidding war going on for all the major holidays; especially New Years Even where I have 4 venue's who want to hire me!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online