SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#487310 - 01/20/20 09:03 AM Always new pianos
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Watching NAMM 2020 re: keyboards.

Manufacturers seem to be developing new pianos/synthesizers all the time but that’s not so true of arrangers.

I know that they are different animals but in many ways, I think it’s easier to teach non keyboard players arranger than piano.

8 years ago, I started playing an arranger(with a guitar background) and was able to do a one hour gig(simple songs) with an arranger after about a year.

I’m on my third year of piano,and can do simple songs on the piano, but I still don’t have the confidence to do a gig using a piano as I do an arranger.

Most places I go have a piano. When I ask folks who can play, the most common response I get is that there are a few that can play.

Yet I know that I can teach(have done it) a non keyboard player to play a simple song using using one finger, left hand in a short time.

Who is buying all these pianos?

#487324 - 01/20/20 09:48 AM Re: Always new pianos [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1

People that want to learn how to PLAY.

chas

#487326 - 01/20/20 09:59 AM Re: Always new pianos [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Most pro gigging players use piano as their main board. Thats why you see new models that are compact and light like the new Roland FP88. Then the add a second keyboard for the others stuff like the Roland VR09. You've got enough sounds to handle most anything.
Theres also students and people who alwasy liked or wanted a piano at home but didn't wnat a big piece of furniture. Its also nice to have something they could play with headphnes.. The music store I briefly worked at sold a ton of guitars and a good number of lower end DP to that crowd. Wish they had them when I was in College so I didn't have to go find a practice room everyday and could play in my dorm room. And also just about every College Music Major is required to learn at least a basic knowledge of piano so the schoold put in labs.

#487327 - 01/20/20 10:29 AM Re: Always new pianos [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
With the exception of one, possibly two, all of the piano retailers have long since gone out of business. The reason being, lack of interest. Also, most of the arranger keyboard retailers no longer carry more than a token inventory of keyboards in their stores - again, lack of interest. Why bother selling keyboards with a 10 percent markup to compete with internet stores, when you can sell guitars, amps, drum sets, etc and pull down a 40 percent markup. And, the demand for those items is much, much greater.

Most of the pianos I see in restaurants and bars rarely are played. Sure, there are a few exceptions, but they are rare indeed.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#487337 - 01/20/20 11:50 AM Re: Always new pianos [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By cgiles

chas

Ditto.

I did.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#487345 - 01/20/20 12:44 PM Re: Always new pianos [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Just keep practicing....eventually it will come.. keys

#487351 - 01/20/20 01:29 PM Re: Always new pianos [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

chas

Can i add to that, people that can afford them...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#487356 - 01/20/20 02:19 PM Re: Always new pianos [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Bachus

chas

Can i add to that, people that can afford them...

Lessons or piano’s ? Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#487358 - 01/20/20 02:52 PM Re: Always new pianos [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I've been watching this young man Yohan Kim the last few months, he's great.

P.S. The piano transcription is available and gotta say it would take lots of work to get it down.

Edited by Stephenm52 (01/20/20 02:55 PM)

#487362 - 01/20/20 03:00 PM Re: Always new pianos [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Most of the pianos I see in restaurants and bars rarely are played. Sure, there are a few exceptions, but they are rare indeed.

Gary cool

Two weeks ago I started moving my mother into an upscale assisted living facility, unfortuantely she only lived for 3 days then passed away. Anchor At Pocasset Bay is a AL place I've played on and off thru the years. In the rotunda they have a beautiful grand piano. While the residents were in the nearby dining room I sat and played during their lunch. It was obvious no one played it the admissions director came out of her office with her phone to video my playing. For the 2 days I played at lunch I became a bit of celebrity. I guess it just takes too much work to learn piano. I know I struggled for years to try to get it right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online