SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#486786 - 01/13/20 06:36 PM Here's a great explanation
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

We've debated this here many times, but this guy explains it very well, particularly around the 12:06 minute mark. I like his take on things.

#486860 - 01/15/20 01:36 AM Re: Here's a great explanation [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I thought it interesting. Not intending to resurrect an ever going dispute, I will say I think backing tracks are fine for enhancement,as long as there is no obvious deception intended.

Edited by Bernie9 (01/15/20 01:37 AM)

#486862 - 01/15/20 05:06 AM Re: Here's a great explanation [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Very good video Thanks for posting.
Backing tracks or an Arranger are necessary for certain situations due to economics. Tomorrow I'm doing a duo gig with my BK9 and a sax player. And not for a lot of money but hopefully will lead to other jobs. The people want all kinds of dance music. Did the same job a month ago alone and made more money but I just want to try something new.
Without the Arranger how do I do that ? I'm playing the keyboard parts and singing and the sax is adding the icing. Am I cheating ?

Edited by Bill Lewis (01/15/20 05:13 AM)

#486866 - 01/15/20 06:01 AM Re: Here's a great explanation [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I'm playing the keyboard parts and singing and the sax is adding the icing. Am I cheating ?

Absolutely NOT. I saw the Carpenters during the hight of their popularity, and they used tons of added [recorded] vocal tracks. They sounded just like their recordings - which I love. I watched the mouths on mics, and I could tell that there was much more happening, but with a smaller, touring band, it must have been necessary.
I say - Use the tools you got. That's why we have 'em.

#486876 - 01/15/20 06:59 AM Re: Here's a great explanation [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Interesting. As i just told my sax player. The bigger the act , the more tracks. On another forum a keyboard player met the main guy who ran the mixing board for a major touring act. He asked the guy how many channels do you have available for the keyboards. He said 2 so I can do it in stereo if required. For the backing tracks he had 32 channels !
It s the way it is in the business now.

#486877 - 01/15/20 07:08 AM Re: Here's a great explanation [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

It s the way it is in the business now.

Concert & Broadway venues are sold out at $100.00-250.00+ a ticket.....
so everyone can't be wrong, it's all about money always!!
Half of Broadway shows are becoming only "tribute acts" now.....
and so are music concerts too......what happened to creativity for original acts for music & shows anymore? frown

#486896 - 01/15/20 09:18 AM Re: Here's a great explanation [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
......what happened to creativity for original acts for music & shows anymore? frown

I think writers are refusing to write because their work is often "stolen" by copies and downloads. This is one of the main reasons that Broadway is creating so many "jukebox musicals" ... like Movin' Out, and Mama Mia etc. These stories are basically already written by the composer of the songs, and the playwright just ties all the 3 minute stories together. I'm guilty of downloading music, so I may be hypocritical (to a degree), but I think the copywrite system is outdated where the digital domain is concerned. The last 20 years have had so many advances to technology that there is hardly a "standard" of decorum, or legality anymore. Sit back, and enjoy the ride, while you watch Netflix on your phone, drinking microwave tea. Dylan was so right when he said "the times, they are a' changin')

#486897 - 01/15/20 09:22 AM Re: Here's a great explanation [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Dave agreed or just wait to see the Broadway shows on Netflix...
or Disney+ channels in my cozy recliner.

#486901 - 01/15/20 09:37 AM Re: Here's a great explanation [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Dave agreed or just wait to see the Broadway shows on Netflix...
or Disney+

YUK - no way. The movie directors are almost always making choices I disagree with when recreating live theater performances. I need to see it happen on stage.
Even on a 52" screen, you loose so much in translation. My point: TRY to watch "Cats" .... (gulp) worst movie ever, and I used to think Blair Witch Project was bad.

#486902 - 01/15/20 10:03 AM Re: Here's a great explanation [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

LOL I loved Blair Witch Project..
now that was cinematography & creative simplicity at it's finest..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online