SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4848 - 06/05/06 04:01 PM Which synth is right for me?
my diversion Offline

Disclaimer: Im a complete idiot and I know nothing about this stuff yet.

Where should I start off?

As far as synths go, trent reznor's sound is the type of sound I want out of a synth.

#4849 - 06/05/06 06:29 PM Re: Which synth is right for me?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi,
"Trent reznor's sound" is made up of a lot of different synths and some pretty intense audio processing. At least that's how it was in the 90s. A mac, Pro Tools setup and this freaky bit of software called Turbosynth. As far as synths he had everything from an ARP 2600 to Waldorf Microwave. So it's hard to pin point exactly what he used on particular songs/albums.

Since I don't know what your budget is like I can't make any suggestions really. Do you want a hardware synthesizer that will do it all (or try to anyway). In that case check out Kurzweil 2600 (or earlier models like the K2000). V.A.S.T. is probably the most flexible synth engine. Doesn't quite take it far enough in any direction but tries to do it all and most of the times sounds better than the synths it is trying to emulate.

Software synthesizers is another great option. I actually use them more than my hardware synths. At least for production purposes. Still play hardware synths for fun though. Anyway, one particular soft instrument you may want to check out right away is NI Reaktor. I don't think there's anything it can't do. There are lots and lots of software synths nowadays. A good discussion for another time.

Hey, hope I didn't confuse you but in case I did simply Google every word that doesn't make sence.

I'm just scratching the surface here since I don't know much about your situation (aside from what kind of sound you're after that is).

-ED-

#4850 - 06/05/06 08:45 PM Re: Which synth is right for me?
my diversion Offline

Thanks. My post wasn't all that informative so forgive me. It's like 100 degrees here in the shade and i hardly had the energy to type anything.

Is software better than hardware these days? I looked on eBay and the K2000 looks to be relatively cheap. I might be able to afford it if its sub $600. But if software is better, then maybe I should go that route? That leads me to question whether my computer is good enough (iBook G4)...

#4851 - 06/06/06 11:29 AM Re: Which synth is right for me?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
If you can get that Kurz for under $600.00 then I suggest you go for it. You will stil need a MIDI keyboard controller for software synths. A kurz is as good of a MIDI controller as any. It is also a pretty powerful hardware synth and it is much better to have best of both worlds than just go either hardware or software. The sweet spot is in the middle.

After you've got your Kurz and you get pretty tired of just playing it and trying to work with it's internal sequencer you'll probably want to add a MIDI interface and a sequencer/audio program (like Logic, DP4, Cubase or perhaps Pro Tools LE. All will work nicely on your iBook. As long as you run OS X ).
Getting some type of a sequencer aplication at some point is going to be a must. Most of them come with built in software synths (I know that logic Pro, Cubase and DP4 do) and of course you always have the option of adding 3rd party software instruments.

Speaking of which I really like NI Reaktor, Absynth and FM7. Reaktor probably being the most powerful software instrument due to it's completely modular structure and ability to go in any direction synthesis wise. It lets you build and design your own synths. Truly limitless. Much like the Kurzweil but not bound by the same limitations of hardware.

If you combine using Kurz K2K and NI Reaktor youve pretty much got the sounds you're after. Adding other synths will never hurt since all synths sound different and have features that are unique.

I'll name a few of my favorite one-trick ponys:

1. NI FM7.
2. Apple ES2 (comes with Logic Pro).
3. Arturia Prophet V.
4. Waldorf Attack.
5. Waldorf PPG2.V
6. NI Pro-53
7. Gmedia Oddity.
8. Arturia Moog MOdular V.

List goes on but i'm just trying to name synths that I like to work with.

Anyway. google for all the stuff I've mentioned here. download demos. check 'em out. I think all of it will run on your iBook just fine. Might need a bit more RAM (at least a total of 1GB).

-ED-

#4852 - 06/07/06 02:13 AM Re: Which synth is right for me?
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Ed's right, owning both hardware and software synths is a good idea. I know that Trent used an ARP 2600, for processing other sounds through, espisally on the song "Head like a Hole" from Pretty Hate Machine, and on the "The Hand that Feeds, an ARP Oddysey. Both of these synths are now virtual instruments. Arutria makes the ARP 2600V and Wayout Ware, makes the Timewarp 2600. GForce makes the Oddity which is the virtual version of the Oddysey.

On NIN's latest tour Trent has a keyboard player. Who is useing the Analogue Systems French Connection controller. Based on the Ondes Martenot, along with some small modular gear and a Korg Kaoss Pad.

#4853 - 06/14/06 02:30 AM Re: Which synth is right for me?
Magica Alfa Offline

My idea is same as colleagues up.

I'm having LIONSTRACS MEDIASTATION X76.

This is synthesizer for future. You can play with as computer. Today you play in NI KONTAKT, Tomorrow in AKAI S3000, Legacy Korg e.t.c. What you want. Only you must change software.

Keyboard is working on LINUX but all Windows programs are working as VST and you can play them in any time and in different levels. (midi and audio connections via jacks- this is similar to have more modules like JV 1080, K2000R etc) I tried severally VST (Virtual instruments) and now I'm really happy because I'm having freedom. Also internal sounds are good. For start and fast playing they are fantastic. Internal operating system of MS is working fast and good. This is defiantly new way for future and live playing.

More info on:
http://www.lionstracs.com/site/

#4854 - 06/14/06 06:28 AM Re: Which synth is right for me?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Magica this guy only has $600 by the sounds of it if you read above so the Mediastation isn't even in his league. Dom will soon be making you his marketing manager if you keep this act up

#4855 - 06/14/06 02:17 PM Re: Which synth is right for me?
Magica Alfa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
Magica this guy only has $600 by the sounds of it if you read above so the Mediastation isn't even in his league. Dom will soon be making you his marketing manager if you keep this act up

Thanks Craig. It is Idea of new sound and something what someone want to have. I gave to here only my concept. Not MEDISTATION like LIONSTRACS. But this is good thing anyway.

I want to here only if someone who is having similar look on future is here. Thanks for your good desires. But if you don’t know I’m looking also for new concept. You were owner of one MS X76 one year before. But for these things is coming time. You had ZX spectrum. But I’m having first PC. In next years comes future. New approach is important. If here will be more people who want to play something new than will be music of future also different, fresh and new. This is future. Please not stay at the line of T2 or G70 this are closed of course good things but in one year you will tell me I’m having new Yamaha etc.. And good thing as my colleague told in one triad first Roland than Yamaha etc and on the end Roland (Circle).

With Mediastation is no additional circle. You need only base knowledge of computer: software and hardware and of course you must know to play. Not only push inside mp3 and be DJ. This people know everywhere. You must play for your soul first and not for money.

#4856 - 06/15/06 06:26 AM Re: Which synth is right for me?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Magica the Mediastation is more like the Vic 20 of the computer world, even a ZX spectrum was classy and had its uses lmao

#4857 - 06/15/06 12:58 PM Re: Which synth is right for me?
Mark & Rachael Offline

Loc: Merfsea Island, Essex, United ...
Hi,

Could we make a suggestion. This is not a promotion.

An off-shoot of Yamaha make a range of keyboards called 'Midistart-2 ProKeys'. These come bundled with Cubasis software and although they only work on a Midi basis it actually makes you appreciate how to put music together, etc.

Our one, brought on a friends advise cost GB£80 with the software included and for us that's really good value.

Best of luck,

Mark & Rachael

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online