SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#47934 - 09/21/03 03:18 PM Another Virus?
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi All,

I just returned from visiting the grandkids. Checked e-mail and I had one purporting to be from Microsoft Corporation Security. It has an attachment. The subject is "(kn7000)". I suspect it is a virus. What angers me is that this appears to be a deliberate attempt to attack unsuspecting keyboard players. That is vicious. I've alerted Bebop and he will likely send all of you a notice to this effect. The notice accompanying the e-mail alleged it is a fix for a security hole in Outlook and Outlook Express. Be on the lookout for this and delete it.

Best Regards, Chuck

#47935 - 09/22/03 02:01 AM Re: Another Virus?
John Barr Offline

Loc: Colchester,Essex,England
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
Hi All,

I just returned from visiting the grandkids. Checked e-mail and I had one purporting to be from Microsoft Corporation Security. It has an attachment. The subject is "(kn7000)". I suspect it is a virus. What angers me is that this appears to be a deliberate attempt to attack unsuspecting keyboard players. That is vicious. I've alerted Bebop and he will likely send all of you a notice to this effect. The notice accompanying the e-mail alleged it is a fix for a security hole in Outlook and Outlook Express. Be on the lookout for this and delete it.

Best Regards, Chuck

Hi Chuck, I opened my PC this morning and had eleven Virus mails all from Microsoft Corperation, between these and all the Spam I have been getting lately, I find this pretty upsetting, I may have to block all mail from the USA as this is where 99% of the Spam comes from, yet I have daughters in the States so I dont want to take such a drastic step, it's about time someone tried to sort this problem out.
Johnny.

#47936 - 09/22/03 02:11 AM Re: Another Virus?
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Last saturday there was a big warning in the national newspapers here in the Netherlands about the virus called Sven, telling not to open the mail and the text "I thing Willum mentioned it in an earlier thread" that Micorsoft never send out this kind of Emails.

rgds.
Willem

#47937 - 09/22/03 06:29 AM Re: Another Virus?
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi All,

Jim Helwig has confirmed the warning I posted. What I suspected to be a virus is indeed a serious one and is specifically targeted at owners of the KN7000! That is cynical and vicious! I repeat, the subject of this e-mail is "(kn7000)". Beware! DO NOT open! I am enclosing Jim's e-mail for your information:

"I've identified the virus/worm in the phony Microsoft 2003 cumulative patch. It's called W32.SWEN.A@MM. This is a very destructive program - I only hope that I was able to notify everyone in time NOT to d/l this attachment. Microsoft NEVER sends cumulative patches or updates in the form of email attchments. I'm glad that I scanned this
before I downloaded it, the email is very convincing."

Warm Regards, Chuck Piper

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 09-22-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online