SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#479222 - 10/29/19 07:52 AM Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon???
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Anyone Hear This?

#479223 - 10/29/19 07:56 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Dnj Offline

btw Harold where did you read this?..
Rumors are floating about the New Roland TOTL arranger coming soon.
Personally I will be in PRe order mode sight unseen if it actually happens....
There are still plenty of EA7 units around the world to buy.

Edited by Dnj (10/29/19 08:42 AM)

#479224 - 10/29/19 08:27 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My opinion... Not a chance smile

Consider this the "old" model BK5 is still in production.

The E-A7 is the best seller Roland has , and worldwide was the top arranger in sales..

No other Roland arranger has as many features.

If we see anything it will be the line expanded to include higher end arrangers..

The E-A7 is the best bang for the buck today wink

#479226 - 10/29/19 08:30 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

The E-A7 is the best bang for the buck today wink

That's wink for sure..

#479227 - 10/29/19 09:18 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
I'm beginning to wonder what more can they add to the technology we already have? All these auto arrangers are offering amazing tools for the creative process. I'm always interested in what the instrument manufacturers are coming up with. I love it.

#479271 - 10/29/19 01:01 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: salsaman]
Harold123 Offline

If I knew how I would Delete this topic...Sorry Harold

#479277 - 10/29/19 01:55 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Harold123

Hi Harold,
What’s to be sorry about? You obviously heard a rumour, who better to ask if it may be true, than here on the forum.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479279 - 10/29/19 02:15 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: rikkisbears]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Dashes my hopes for a single screen version.

#479284 - 10/29/19 03:20 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: sparky589]
Harold123 Offline

You are correct...The G70 screen is excellent...10 years ago and today! Would the G-70 keys be the same length as the Yamaha P-125 and a acoustic Piano?

#479288 - 10/29/19 03:31 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. As I see it at least in Russia, people mostly buy keyboards like PSR-S670 or cheaper. So what's the point of producing new items of a keyboard, which doesn't sell well?

While I respect E-A7 for being designed for professional use, as I respect musicians making this choice, personally I still find it really hard to justify choosing it over S670 which is half the price.

#479289 - 10/29/19 03:32 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Harold123

No need to be sorry Harold. smile

As they say, there's no smoke if it's not any fire, and some see the smoke long time before anybody else does.
Someday the EA-7 support going to be discontinued just as all other stuff.
The big question is if Roland has any new surprices for arrangerplayers coming up ... 🤔
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#479290 - 10/29/19 03:58 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Kabinopus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. As I see it at least in Russia, people mostly buy keyboards like PSR-S670 or cheaper. So what's the point of producing new items of a keyboard, which doesn't sell well?

While I respect E-A7 for being designed for professional use, as I respect musicians making this choice, personally I still find it really hard to justify choosing it over S670 which is half the price.

Not many understand the Ea7..... The 670 doesn't even come close to what the EA7 can do features wise ... the Ea7 is the best bang for the buck bar none. Imo.

Edited by Dnj (10/29/19 06:03 PM)

#479292 - 10/29/19 04:38 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
... the ea7 is the best bang for the buck bar none. Imo.

Gee, I wonder where I've heard (seen) that before? rotf2

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (10/29/19 04:38 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#479311 - 10/30/19 04:57 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
WOW, the E-A7 is $1,000 cheaper than a SX-900 (MAP price) so maybe I should look at it too???
How are the sounds for instrumental performance compared to SX-900??
Lee

#479324 - 10/30/19 07:19 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: leeboy]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By leeboy
WOW, the E-A7 is $1,000 cheaper than a SX-900 (MAP price) so maybe I should look at it too???
Lee

Many feel that sound wise the E-A7 compares favorably to boards costing much more. Compared to the SX900 you would be losing the chord sequencer, the touch screen, and the vocal harmony with the E-A7. Of course, a harmony unit is easy to add. I would say the biggest loss would be the ease of use gained with the touch screen. That is the reason I got rid of my E-A7 as I was constantly bent over the small screens and it killed my neck. The reason I tweaked so much is that the Roland system is so easy to use that it tempts you to do that. Ironically, I don't do so much tweaking now with the Korg as I don't find it as easy to use.

The key is to do your own research as only you know how you will use your keyboard and what features and sounds matter the most. There are quite a few demos available now. If cost is one of the most important factors, an E-A7 should be high on anyone's list. The fact that Don Mason uses one speaks volumes IMO. If Roland come out with a new model that has a touch screen I will be interested although I can't really justify it as a home player.

#479326 - 10/30/19 07:34 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
Lee

Many feel that sound wise the E-A7 compares favorably to boards costing much more. Compared to the SX900 you would be losing the chord sequencer, the touch screen, and the vocal harmony with the E-A7. Of course, a harmony unit is easy to add. I would say the biggest loss would be the ease of use gained with the touch screen. That is the reason I got rid of my E-A7 as I was constantly bent over the small screens and it killed my neck. The reason I tweaked so much is that the Roland system is so easy to use that it tempts you to do that. Ironically, I don't do so much tweaking now with the Korg as I don't find it as easy to use.

The key is to do your own research as only you know how you will use your keyboard and what features and sounds matter the most. There are quite a few demos available now. If cost is one of the most important factors, an E-A7 should be high on anyone's list. The fact that Don Mason uses one speaks volumes IMO. If Roland come out with a new model that has a touch screen I will be interested although I can't really justify it as a home player.

The touch screen isn't a big priority for me,
rather have a tilt display and two screens for easy navigation,
one for a main screen info,
Organ Leslie sim is far superior too.
More then enough to back up my vocals.
one for favorite sounds access while playing live,
...lots of sliders and buttons is high on my list..
the light weigh and smaller footprint is a big plus too.
I would say your gaining not losing....there is so much more if people would take the time to dig in to the EA7
then again it all relies on how you play
and what it sounds like first and foremost.
And we all know the only way to show that is to record and share.

have a great day

Edited by Dnj (10/30/19 12:30 PM)

#479338 - 10/30/19 09:10 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I love most of the sounds on the EA7, Sax, Piano, Drums, Organs, Horns, Strings...
My main sounds are guitar, sax, fiddle, harmonica, organ and piano, and there are plenty of really good ones.
The guitars are very usable, and can be made really excellent with just a little tweaking.
I've had no trouble finding styles that I need, for any genre.
It weighs 18 pounds. I like the keys a lot. There are multiple assignable sliders and pads, and they are located very well. There are buttons for almost everything, it is a dream to operate on the fly.
There are sliders to instantly adjust the volume of lead sounds and style parts.
There are four intros and four endings, plus three right hand and one left hand sounds. There is a Favorite Sound bank to store, select and call up the sounds you use most.
I have found it sounds great right out of the box. I have all e.q.s set flat!
The drawbacks are few, and they include no text display, although there IS midi lyrics display. The Performance Banks are limited to 100 entries, but you can have as many banks as you like. The mic processor sounds very good, but there is no vocal harmony.
While it now has a Break/Fill button, all it does is silence everything. However, Roland has reprogrammed many of the intros to act as break. I use them a lot, and haven't missed the true break/fill as much as on previous Rolands.
There are multipads, but they have little content available, unless you make or load your own.
It is a real bargain when you compare it to other middle-of-the line arrangers. Even if I decide to purchase a new arranger, the EA7 will remain in my arsenal for a long time.

#479342 - 10/30/19 09:40 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: leeboy]
Bachus Offline

Lee

Thats because its more comparable to the sx-700..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#479355 - 10/30/19 10:37 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The EA-7 speakers don't have the same "ooomph" that the SX has, but it sounds nice at lower volumes. I'd describe it as "boxy". There's not as much area for bass reflex in that teeny package. Not a downer for most, but I like the SX to stand alone for many of it's intended uses. I hooked up the Fishman sub to it today, and MAN - what a great combo.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SASub--fishman-sa-sub-300w-subwoofer-for-the-sa330x

HIGHLY recommended.

#479361 - 10/30/19 11:03 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
...lots of sliders and buttons is high on my list..
the light weight and smaller footprint is a big plus too.

Good point. If you really want sliders, the SX900 doesn't have 'em. You have to go all the way to a Genos or PA4X or the Ketron models.

#479362 - 10/30/19 11:10 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
The EA-7 speakers don't have the same "ooomph" that the SX has, but it sounds nice at lower volumes. I'd describe it as "boxy". There's not as much area for bass reflex in that teeny package. Not a downer for most, but I like the SX to stand alone for many of it's intended uses. I hooked up the Fishman sub to it today, and MAN - what a great combo.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SASub--fishman-sa-sub-300w-subwoofer-for-the-sa330x

HIGHLY recommended.

I never use the onboard speakers anyway,...I hooked it up to my little Mackie freeplay live and it sounded much better then the onboard speakersn....but then I ran it IN STEREO
thru my Big RCF Jmix8 speaker system and OMG it sounded sooooooo goood, Livvvvvvvve as if the band was right behind me ..it's all coming back to me with a bit of help from Fran & Don M....and yes Tootsie rolls came with this unit..just sayin'

#479367 - 10/30/19 11:28 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Uncle Dave Offline

OK, so we ride this wave for a bit ... good luck.

#479368 - 10/30/19 11:34 AM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

OK, so we ride this wave for a bit ... good luck.

What can I say Dave ....
honestly it's a dam good arranger KB that keeps me busy
sounds terrific and is definitely fun to play..
If Roland decides to release a new TOTL arranger kb
I will pre-order sight unseen.
Good luck with your New SX900 use it well.

#479375 - 10/30/19 12:34 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

HIGHLY recommended.

So....Let me understand this.. By adding the 300 watt sub woofer, you loved the sound shocked

Did you get enough ooomph?

Dave everything I read says bring out the lows of your guitar etc.. Very vague specs. What is the frequency response specs.. I can't find anywhere.
It says 109db (typical low rate).
Is it really designed to compliment a guitar then a true sub?

Edited by Fran Carango (10/30/19 12:48 PM)

#479376 - 10/30/19 12:38 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Uncle Dave Offline

Sub Gud.
Oh baby.

#479379 - 10/30/19 12:42 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: leeboy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Lee

Hi Lee,
might be worth trying to find out if the styles would suit what you like to play,
or you might be back in the same situation as you were with the Korg.

I’m totally out of touch with styles on rolands , last one I had was va7, which goes back many years.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479384 - 10/30/19 12:58 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

If Roland decides to release a new TOTL arranger kb I will pre-order sight unseen.

and then you'll .......... (just sayin?) 😇

LOLOLOL

#479385 - 10/30/19 01:03 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

By adding the 300 watt sub woofer, you loved the sound shocked

Maybe with the sub, I might have liked the EA-7 a bit more. It's night and day on the SX ... but it outta be. Remember years ago at one of your parties ... I used my i5S with my Galleon Kruger bass amp as a sub ... totally made it usable and filled the area.

This Fishman sub has an extended low cut filter that widens the Q, and 3 settings - 80hz, 100hz, and 120hz. I prefer 100 in this situation. There's plenty of power, and it's a nice, tight sound. Makes the kb speakers sound 3 times as loud.

#479388 - 10/30/19 01:10 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

I found the specs

30-125 Hz Frequency Response

#479392 - 10/30/19 01:16 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Uncle Dave Offline

It kicks butt, and is plenty loud enough for my rooms. It's not just for guitar - they market it for whole band use.

#479394 - 10/30/19 01:27 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Fran Carango Offline

I would think your QSC's would benefit most with this sub.

#479397 - 10/30/19 01:58 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Fran Carango]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Just for curiosity,does the EA-7 have the D-BEAM?

#479403 - 10/30/19 02:57 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: leeboy]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Lee

It's just my guess, but the guess is that E-A7 can be a dissapointment comparing to SX900.

I know that I've never tried E-A7 personally. Watched videos. Also, I have Juno DS, which supposedly shares some of its sounds with E-A7. As for saxes, flutes, oboe, other orchestra sounds, I'd say, it looses even to PSR-3000 with some exceptions (some strings). The same is about guitars. Consider that SX900 is a fifth generation after PSR-3000, and all major sounds were updated a few times.

I see that in specific cases other factors can become more important, but so far I was not impressed with any of E-A7 videos, sometimes a term "General MIDI" comes to mind when I listen to its guitars or oboe (I have a special feeling to oboe).

But not everything can be judged by videos. I'm very curious about E-A7 myself, but in a situation when there's only one keyboard to have, I'd think 10 times before choosing it.

#479405 - 10/30/19 03:10 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

By adding the 300 watt sub woofer, you loved the sound shocked

Maybe with the sub, I might have liked the EA-7 a bit more. It's night and day on the SX ... but it outta be. Remember years ago at one of your parties ... I used my i5S with my Galleon Kruger bass amp as a sub ... totally made it usable and filled the area.

This Fishman sub has an extended low cut filter that widens the Q, and 3 settings - 80hz, 100hz, and 120hz. I prefer 100 in this situation. There's plenty of power, and it's a nice, tight sound. Makes the kb speakers sound 3 times as loud.

you prob could still usae the i5 and GK for the winery....

#479408 - 10/30/19 03:38 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Terrysutt]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Originally Posted By Terrysutt
Just for curiosity,does the EA-7 have the D-BEAM?

No.

#479411 - 10/30/19 03:49 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Fran Carango Offline

Seven assignable buttons instead of D beam

#479416 - 10/30/19 04:40 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Fran Carango Offline

Here is a song played and recorded with only the E-A7

http://francarango.homestead.com/MyRec_044.WAV

#479417 - 10/30/19 04:46 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
EA7 sounds good Fran! Is vocal through the kb?

#479420 - 10/30/19 05:11 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Harold123]
Fran Carango Offline

Yes

#479423 - 10/30/19 05:21 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Liked that..

#479427 - 10/30/19 05:49 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

clapFran very nice job.... It's good to hear people actually playing instead of talking...
More more more! Thank you for sharing it made my evening bright..
Take care

#479430 - 10/30/19 05:55 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
It's good to hear people actually playing instead of talking...

hmmmm!

#479431 - 10/30/19 06:04 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: sparky589]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By sparky589
Liked that..

+1

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#479450 - 10/30/19 09:24 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

I would think your QSC's would benefit most with this sub.

Oh no - they have more than enough bass. That's one reason I love those little 8s! The bass boost, and the 120 degree horn make it a smooth room fill with lots of ooomph. I'll use the sub for the winery, or anytime I need to add just a little zing to the Bose.

#479452 - 10/30/19 09:28 PM Re: Roland EA-7 is going to be discontinued Soon??? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

you prob could still usae the i5 and GK for the winery....

I absolutely could, but I'd miss the improved drum sounds in my newer models. That i5s is my easiest backup, or second room setup. Sometimes I need a happy hour rig in a different room, and no time between sets, so the main room is already set with my synth du jour. There's a Wurli sound on the i5 that works as well as anything else I own, so with a solid bass, and drums ... it's a no brainer. It also has audio inputs so I can feed a TC harmonizer into it, and it all comes thru the speakers. NICE

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online