SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#479064 - 10/27/19 11:37 AM Alternative to an Arranger-Video
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Since we are critiquing videos, I thought I would post this and see the reaction. This guy plays at Ray Stevens' new club in Nashville as a piano bar entertainer and has apparently been a fixture in Nashville for some time. He uses a grand piano with a drum machine and a "bass keyboard" as he refers to it. I may take my wife down there next year so I was doing some research on the place and the entertainment and I personally like the type of music he does and his singing style. What do the critics here think of his presentation in general and his choice of instrumentation versus an arranger?

#479068 - 10/27/19 11:43 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Dnj Offline

Who are we to judge anything ?
Instead of talking about it... let's hear some demos from sz members.. now that I can sit for 3 hours and listen to and you don't need a red dress either!

#479069 - 10/27/19 11:55 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Great. Obviously a seasoned professional. I actually really like GOOD lounge singers and he's obviously very good. The difference between him and an arranger player is that you KNOW HE can play; with an arranger player, you can't be sure. I just like the freedom of live playing; the ease of controlling the tempo, song selection, style, etc., etc., without having to search the ol' laptop or remembering which knob, button, registration, style, dial, whatever.

If I'm out with my favorite lady, this (video) is what I want to hear, not programmed brass and strings with no brass and string players in sight. But that's just me. YMMV.

chas

#479070 - 10/27/19 12:03 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Who are we to judge anything ?

rotf2

#479071 - 10/27/19 12:04 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
Since we are critiquing videos, I thought I would post this and see the reaction.

Hi , that was great. I for one thoroughly enjoyed it.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479073 - 10/27/19 12:18 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]

He's originally from the small city where I live and that is another reason I got interested in him. However, my wife wants to see a taping of "Larry's Country Diner" which is usually on the nights Stevens and his show is off I believe. So I may not get to see him anyway.

#479074 - 10/27/19 12:19 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Wow! I know where I'll go next time I am in Nashville! smile Thanks for posting... love his arrangements too!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#479078 - 10/27/19 12:26 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By saxxman
Thanks for posting... love his arrangements too!

Hi Randy,
me too. Love that style of playing and singing.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479082 - 10/27/19 01:08 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
Great post. A very talented man, and a very professional presentation. I enjoyed it very much.

#479083 - 10/27/19 01:24 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Dnj Offline

Next time I go south I only go to Don Mason's house

#479085 - 10/27/19 01:26 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Impressive guy. Great vocal abilities. Who knows what he could do with an arranger? I hear Ray Steven's new venue is taking Nashville by storm.

Thanks, Tracy... for sharing the video with us. Very entertaining. Surprised to see he's using My Space. Maybe worth checking it out again.

Sounds like he's found a new home in Twang-Town. Good for him 'cause it's a great place to live... and sure beats working out of a suitcase. Good luck, Mr. Jonethis!

#479091 - 10/27/19 02:05 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]

Thanks everyone for your replies, hope I get to see him at some point.

#479093 - 10/27/19 02:07 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
GREAT entertainer, nice voice too. One thing I don't get... regarding the "Bass keyboard" he seems to be playing multi-note chords. I would have expected it to be monophonic like bass pedals. I wonder what kind of hardware / AI module is being driven by that bass keyboard? Does it have lowest note priority? [I think MIDI Solutions sells a box that can break out the lowest note.]

Edit: Also, not sure about the ergonomics of his right-angle setup. (Not what the piano teacher taught me, but hey, can you argue with success?) Why not just use an 88-key performance synth, split the keyboard and use MIDI out??

Edited by TedS (10/27/19 02:11 PM)

#479094 - 10/27/19 02:15 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Dnj Offline

Nice lounge act.... What does he does when he gets a request for electric slide... Cupid shuffle..and Fireball?

#479095 - 10/27/19 02:24 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: TedS]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By TedS

Edit: Also, not sure about the ergonomics of his right-angle setup. (Not what the piano teacher taught me, but hey, can you argue with success?) Why not just use an 88-key performance synth, split the keyboard and use MIDI out??

Better still, replace the grand with a Disklavier. Midi in/out on an acoustic. Can’t be beaten.

(I sure miss mine)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479096 - 10/27/19 02:24 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway

Since we are critiquing videos, I thought I would post this and see the reaction....

Not the type of music I listen to very often, but I really did enjoy watch and hear this presentation. smile
Imo this is a real pro performer, great singer and musician, and the video is very good made as well.
Thanks for sharing. 👍
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#479097 - 10/27/19 02:30 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
rikkisbears Offline

He's originally from the small city where I live and that is another reason I got interested in him. However, my wife wants to see a taping of "Larry's Country Diner" which is usually on the nights Stevens and his show is off I believe. So I may not get to see him anyway.

Goodness gracious what’s wrong with her. Haha.
Wish we had great clubs like that to go to, Hubby would have no choice but to take me.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479100 - 10/27/19 02:41 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Great stuff, this is my preferred type style of music.

#479104 - 10/27/19 03:06 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Stephenm52]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Great stuff, this is my preferred type style of music.

Me too, just wish I could play it. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479106 - 10/27/19 03:20 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Nice lounge act.... What does he does when he gets a request for electric slide... Cupid shuffle..and Fireball?

Always looking at the bright side, eh Donny. I'm guessing HIS audience isn't interested in the electric slide. Just a guess.

chas

PS: I'm surprised Uncle Dave didn't pick up on your "WHAT DOES HE DOES"....guess he's a little gunshy right now smile smile smile.

Edited by cgiles (10/27/19 03:27 PM)

#479108 - 10/27/19 04:18 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: rikkisbears]

Originally Posted By rikkisbears

Goodness gracious what’s wrong with her. Haha.
Wish we had great clubs like that to go to, Hubby would have no choice but to take me.

It's a little pricey, so we'll have to see if we can swing two nights to see Ray's show and John too. That is provided he is there that night-he takes off more and more apparently as he is slowing down some at this point. First order of business will be the schedule for "Larry's Diner" next year which hasn't been determined. Then we'll have to see if all ailments for the two of us are under control at that moment in time. smile

#479111 - 10/27/19 05:36 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I really enjoyed the video, my kind of music. Years ago, my organ player and I went to a club to see the sane kind of talent. He was so good that my organ playing asked him to play his wedding. Watch him play my only thought was Talent; not piano, drum nor bass, just wow, what talent. Thank you, Tracy, the man is real good.

My second thought:
Playing an arranger keyboard could add so much when added properly. What I mean by the word properly is using drums, bass and piano only. In almost every case you can set up a keyboard to do what he was doing, and have two hands to work with.

This is not comparing; it is showing us that there are other ways to use a keyboard. I would listen, then create exactly what I heard – drum, bass, and piano. The voice and the talent are something else.

Example: A high-end country club was looking for a piano player. I asked for one night, then I set up my keyboard to play only drums, bass, and piano, no singing wanted. I played there over four years.

This is only my opinion:
Listen then create what you hear.
Above all, don’t let technology get in your way. Many good musicians spend more time on whatever, than they spend working on their God given talent to perform good/nice music.

John C.
PS, I walked away with, what a great talent, what a good voice, and he used them very well. The bass, durms, and piano are second, he was out front.

Edited by bruno123 (10/27/19 05:48 PM)

#479124 - 10/27/19 07:21 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]

John,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful comments. I appreciated them and all of the nice comments by others as well. Yes, a very talented man. I would love to see what he could do with an arranger just with bass, drums and piano as you said. When he plays at Ray Steven's place, there is an existing piano bar setup which could explain why he uses what he does. However, I believe he has been using the same setup for some time. As you say, the voice and his entertaining are what is most important and he probably feels his setup emphasizes that as is. If I do get a chance to see him, I'll report back.

#479166 - 10/28/19 09:10 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
John,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful comments. I appreciated them and all of the nice comments by others as well. Yes, a very talented man. I would love to see what he could do with an arranger just with bass, drums and piano as you said. When he plays at Ray Steven's place, there is an existing piano bar setup which could explain why he uses what he does. However, I believe he has been using the same setup for some time. As you say, the voice and his entertaining are what is most important and he probably feels his setup emphasizes that as is. If I do get a chance to see him, I'll report back.

Nice Lounge act for the laid back crowd. Few venues like that anymore. He's doing the traditional OMB setup that some still do. Yes he coould do it all on a basic Arranger but he would loose the visual of the Grand Piano which is a big part of his act. A piano player here hauls around a dummy Baby Grand case to put his digital in just for the visual effect.

#479167 - 10/28/19 09:12 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

DJ

#479168 - 10/28/19 09:15 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles

PS: I'm surprised Uncle Dave didn't pick up on your "WHAT DOES HE DOES"....guess he's a little gunshy right now smile smile smile.

Gunshy ... ME???? smile

#479170 - 10/28/19 09:20 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Originally Posted By Dnj

DJ

Customer always comes first

#479171 - 10/28/19 10:02 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Originally Posted By Dnj

DJ

Is it wrong to just politely say “no” ?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#479176 - 10/28/19 10:31 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Jazz night (8 nights a month) mean a B-3, left-handed bass, live drummer and an piano on top. That's the duo. Sometimes, a drum machine.

I feel I have more control that way.

R

BTW: This guys really tasty.
I'd pay to hear him, and I'm cheap as hell

Edited by captain Russ (10/28/19 10:35 AM)

#479180 - 10/28/19 11:02 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman

Is it wrong to just politely say “no” ? [/quote]

yes the first request but when they start requesting by more people gig after gig the word travels that don't like your music ....
just like a restaurant that serves bad food, reviews in today's day and age make or break your business...the people have spoken..
...times are really changing out there ....like it or not.

#479185 - 10/28/19 11:28 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
cgiles Offline

People don't go to a Biker Bar to hear Avant Garde jazz; likewise, it's unlikely that the clientele that patronize this place want to hear the Electric Slide or Cupid Shuffle. Or, if you do get one, just follow Paul' advice and politely say 'no' or 'sorry, I don't know that one'. And if that segment of the crowd doesn't come back, you're ahead of the game.

chas

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online