SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#479108 - 10/27/19 04:18 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: rikkisbears]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
He's originally from the small city where I live and that is another reason I got interested in him. However, my wife wants to see a taping of "Larry's Country Diner" which is usually on the nights Stevens and his show is off I believe. So I may not get to see him anyway.

Goodness gracious what’s wrong with her. Haha.
Wish we had great clubs like that to go to, Hubby would have no choice but to take me.

It's a little pricey, so we'll have to see if we can swing two nights to see Ray's show and John too. That is provided he is there that night-he takes off more and more apparently as he is slowing down some at this point. First order of business will be the schedule for "Larry's Diner" next year which hasn't been determined. Then we'll have to see if all ailments for the two of us are under control at that moment in time. smile

#479111 - 10/27/19 05:36 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I really enjoyed the video, my kind of music. Years ago, my organ player and I went to a club to see the sane kind of talent. He was so good that my organ playing asked him to play his wedding. Watch him play my only thought was Talent; not piano, drum nor bass, just wow, what talent. Thank you, Tracy, the man is real good.

My second thought:
Playing an arranger keyboard could add so much when added properly. What I mean by the word properly is using drums, bass and piano only. In almost every case you can set up a keyboard to do what he was doing, and have two hands to work with.

This is not comparing; it is showing us that there are other ways to use a keyboard. I would listen, then create exactly what I heard – drum, bass, and piano. The voice and the talent are something else.

Example: A high-end country club was looking for a piano player. I asked for one night, then I set up my keyboard to play only drums, bass, and piano, no singing wanted. I played there over four years.

This is only my opinion:
Listen then create what you hear.
Above all, don’t let technology get in your way. Many good musicians spend more time on whatever, than they spend working on their God given talent to perform good/nice music.

John C.
PS, I walked away with, what a great talent, what a good voice, and he used them very well. The bass, durms, and piano are second, he was out front.

Edited by bruno123 (10/27/19 05:48 PM)

#479124 - 10/27/19 07:21 PM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
John,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful comments. I appreciated them and all of the nice comments by others as well. Yes, a very talented man. I would love to see what he could do with an arranger just with bass, drums and piano as you said. When he plays at Ray Steven's place, there is an existing piano bar setup which could explain why he uses what he does. However, I believe he has been using the same setup for some time. As you say, the voice and his entertaining are what is most important and he probably feels his setup emphasizes that as is. If I do get a chance to see him, I'll report back.

#479166 - 10/28/19 09:10 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
John,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful comments. I appreciated them and all of the nice comments by others as well. Yes, a very talented man. I would love to see what he could do with an arranger just with bass, drums and piano as you said. When he plays at Ray Steven's place, there is an existing piano bar setup which could explain why he uses what he does. However, I believe he has been using the same setup for some time. As you say, the voice and his entertaining are what is most important and he probably feels his setup emphasizes that as is. If I do get a chance to see him, I'll report back.

Nice Lounge act for the laid back crowd. Few venues like that anymore. He's doing the traditional OMB setup that some still do. Yes he coould do it all on a basic Arranger but he would loose the visual of the Grand Piano which is a big part of his act. A piano player here hauls around a dummy Baby Grand case to put his digital in just for the visual effect.

#479167 - 10/28/19 09:12 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Nice lounge act.... What does he does when he gets a request for electric slide... Cupid shuffle..and Fireball?

DJ

#479168 - 10/28/19 09:15 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles

PS: I'm surprised Uncle Dave didn't pick up on your "WHAT DOES HE DOES"....guess he's a little gunshy right now smile smile smile.

Gunshy ... ME???? smile

#479170 - 10/28/19 09:20 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Originally Posted By Dnj
Nice lounge act.... What does he does when he gets a request for electric slide... Cupid shuffle..and Fireball?

DJ

Customer always comes first

#479171 - 10/28/19 10:02 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Originally Posted By Dnj

DJ

Is it wrong to just politely say “no” ?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#479176 - 10/28/19 10:31 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Jazz night (8 nights a month) mean a B-3, left-handed bass, live drummer and an piano on top. That's the duo. Sometimes, a drum machine.

I feel I have more control that way.

R

BTW: This guys really tasty.
I'd pay to hear him, and I'm cheap as hell

Edited by captain Russ (10/28/19 10:35 AM)

#479180 - 10/28/19 11:02 AM Re: Alternative to an Arranger-Video [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman

Is it wrong to just politely say “no” ? [/quote]

yes the first request but when they start requesting by more people gig after gig the word travels that don't like your music ....
just like a restaurant that serves bad food, reviews in today's day and age make or break your business...the people have spoken..
...times are really changing out there ....like it or not.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online