SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#479021 - 10/26/19 03:14 PM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Distortion could be a gain setting ....
But tracking and dropouts was always a problem for me..

#479054 - 10/27/19 09:31 AM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: Eric, B]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
What bothers me most about the Yamaha VH is that if you engage or disengage the VH while singing a note, there is an audible blip. In other words the voice signal is interrupted for a micro-second or so when the pedal or switch is pressed. It has always been this way, and I just remembered it.
This will most likely keep Uncle Dave from using it much. I could work around it if I had to, but I don't have to. smile

#479057 - 10/27/19 09:57 AM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By DonM
What bothers me most about the Yamaha VH is that if you engage or disengage the VH while singing a note, there is an audible blip. In other words the voice signal is interrupted for a micro-second or so when the pedal or switch is pressed. It has always been this way, and I just remembered it.
This will most likely keep Uncle Dave from using it much. I could work around it if I had to, but I don't have to. smile

The StudioLogic NC2x does the exact same thing when you select a new voice (usually RH) while playing. VERY annoying, especially since I use it playing LH bass 95% of the time (it has a great bass line, BTW, which can be paired with a ride - you can/could play a nice 'walking bass' tune without drums for some tunes). There's actually a microsecond glitch/dropout/hiccup/break/whatever that is quite noticable. Changing a RH voice should not cause an interuption in the LH voice. Again, VERY annoying.

chas

#479065 - 10/27/19 11:39 AM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: Eric, B]
Dnj Offline

VH2 is the same old thing subpar no matter how you look at it.... if it was improved in the sx900 I'm sure they will be touting it as an upgrade but you haven't seen that anywhere have you?

#479077 - 10/27/19 12:25 PM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: Eric, B]
DonM Offline

I only have my ears. It sounds better to me, and there are better presets. It is usable, the way I would use it. Maybe not the way others would use it.

#479080 - 10/27/19 12:38 PM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By DonM
I only have my ears. It sounds better to me, and there are better presets. It is usable, the way I would use it. Maybe not the way others would use it.

Hi,
I would have thought that’s what it’s all about, if it sounds good to your own ears, you can sell it to your audience?

Donny, I haven’t read anywhere, where new sx owners are unhappy about the sound of the SX’s, yet you wrote you preferred the sound of the S950/970.

So gather sound is subjective.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479086 - 10/27/19 01:27 PM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Hi Rikki reading and listening are two different things correct?... I am truly happy for all of you sx900 owners use it well be happy with it and enjoy making music as for me I'm still on the journey...

#479103 - 10/27/19 03:04 PM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Dnj
Hi Rikki reading and listening are two different things correct?...

Hi Donny,
true. You didn’t like the sound of sx as much as you liked the sound of psr950/970
I suppose that comes under the heading of Listening? in which case why isn’t it possible that Don thinks he can hear a sound improvement on theVH2 harmoniser.

I don’t sing so never used a harmoniser.

I personally believe my sx900 sounded better than my S950, had them side by side for a week.
I definitely believe my PA4X sounded better than my PA3X.
That relates to what I hear. Some may agree some may not. It’s subjective.

Functions on the other hand are not. One either has to compromise and find a work around, or give it a miss.

For you the SX obviously wasn’t a good fit. When does your Roland arrive?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479107 - 10/27/19 03:42 PM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: Eric, B]
DonM Offline

I have it side by side with PA4X, PSRS950 and EA7. The x900 sounds great, as do the Korg and Roland. They all have a different "personality".
It blows the S950 away in all categories, sounds, drums, styles, functions.
Drums are MUCH better, styles are much better, many of the old styles are revoiced and rebalanced. New country and R&B styles are great. Guitars are great, especially the Pedal Steels. The OOHs and AAHs are very well done, better than Korg and Roland. New Cajun accordion is authentic. Most sound insert effects are great.
I can't see giving up the EA7 because it is a good arranger and very portable. However I am now entertaining the thought of adding the SX900. Seriously.
It is really deep and there is a learning curve, even though I am very familiar with operating previous Yamahas. Too much to get into right now...I'm still learning lots of new features.
I haven't run it into my Big PA system, just a small one at the house, but if the VH isn't satisfactory, I already have Harmony M's in both my setups.
Oh, and the built-in speakers are by far the best I've heard in an arranger.
Negatives: (they all have some). USB ports poorly located...no lettering on the top of the keyboard to indicate where to plug connections in...no VH on/off indicator...Leslie on/off needs work, but the switch can be re-programmed for other functions...only two pedal inserts. Organs are the weakest sounds on the 900, of course in my opinion, as all of this is.
I'm sure there are more, but I'm still experimenting.
If I do get one of my own, I think I'll start completely over on Registrations.. Either that or go through each one individually to see if the new styles and sounds are better than what I have saved. In almost every case they are, even though my S970 registrations work fine as they are. Why make your new arranger sound like the old one? smile

#479110 - 10/27/19 05:16 PM Re: PSR/Genos VH2 Harmonizer sounding good [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By Dnj
Hi Rikki reading and listening are two different things correct?...

Hi Donny,

For you the SX obviously wasn’t a good fit. When does your Roland arrive?

Hi Rikki.... Hopefully mid week.. as far as the sound comparison I hardly ever use onboard speakers on my Yamahas to setup, tweak, edit etc as they sound terrible to me so when I am referring to sound I am talking about going thru my PA system with the right EQ... out of all S units I've had and I've had them all I still have an affection for the s970 which was my favorite out of all of them.

Have a great evening..

Edited by Dnj (10/27/19 05:18 PM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online