SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#478763 - 10/24/19 09:51 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Interesting.....and impressive. How old is the Jupiter (launch date)? Just curious.

chas

#478764 - 10/24/19 09:52 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Bachus I believe the Integra7 was on the design table first, even if the Jupiters hit the streets first..

Even though as you said the Integra7 has 64 studio sets at a time, you can load directly from the flash memory as many as you need.

The Integra7 is designed to use with a computer, as an audio and midi interface. It also has the editor as a VST for your DAW.

The Jupiter has the controls you mention, it is designed as a performance keyboard.

The apparent problem with both units could be polyphony, but there is no need to burden the instruments to get great results.

We might never know.. which one Roland designed first..

But the difference is clear..
One designed for studio use..
The other designed to play music live..

The polyphony on the Jp80 is 256, double that of an integra..
Its also limited to 10 voices... so probably way less of a problem..
Espescially when you also take into account that live playing is much less stressing then sequencng for example orchestral tracks..

Altough.. with 10 voices layered.. each having 3 active partials.. and some using the sustain function.. so thats 30 voices/note played, i guess you run out of polyphony pretty fast on any instrument..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#478765 - 10/24/19 09:53 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Interesting.....and impressive. How old is the Jupiter (launch date)? Just curious.

chas

About 8 years Chas..
Its been retired by Roland about 2 years ago..

But then, great instruments never grow old...
This could become a cult synth in the future, since Roland walks another track these days..

Much like the jupiter 8, the v-synth, the G70..
All still quite popular these days..

Edited by Bachus (10/24/19 09:56 AM)

#478766 - 10/24/19 09:55 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: Bachus]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Bachus, just curious. I don't follow these things too closely but I have a barely used (bought new) Fantom G7 with all the upgrades and was wondering what the difference was between it and the Jupiter. I must admit I never really explored the Fantom G7 in depth but always thought it had a lot of features. How would IT have fit the role you have planned for the Jupiter?

chas

Chas, the G7 is a workstation (very good one), with sequencer, audio and midi recording and sampling,.

The Jupiter 80 is a performance instrument (also very good) with NO sequencing or sampling. The sound engine is based on the Integra7.. with the Integra7 having the edge in complete sound library (includes all of the SRX expansion sounds..).

Actually its the other way around...
The Jupiter is the super natural instrument
The integra inherrited some of that DNA, and much more..

But the Jupiter 80’s engine has more depth in :
Live sets..
Harmony
Arpeggiator
Effects..

The limitation of the integra for live use is its limitation of only 64 studio sets..
Jupiter has 512 full registrations.. and 2500 live sets.. a studio set replaces both of these
You can compare the integra more with a racked version of a Fantom G(sound part)

The strength of the Jupiter 80 is the layers and splits, which are incredible flexible
The jupiter 80 is the ultimate live instrument.. and Rolands founders dream come true
However due to its totally new format it was hugely misunderstood by most
But Yamaha and the montage went partly the same road..
People addapted over time... and where the Jupiter wasnt popular at release.
Its now more popular then ever in the live scene

A super natural synth sound can also contain 3 pcm partials..
So the pcm part is there in the jupiter 80

Imagine the Jupiter 80 as an arranger witouth styles..
You have 4 voices, that can be layered and split..
2 of those voices are live sets, concisting of 4 sounds
1 voice is manuall percussion/manual bass
1 voice is the solo voice (top right)
The engine treats all of these voices different..
Even the left and right parts.. as the left part for example has chord detection
Where the right part has the harmonies based on them as we know from the arrangers

The sounds are all super natural..
Super natural is an engine that combines sampling with physical modulation and behaviour moddeling
Where some people indicate that it has no pcm samples, they are wrong..
Most of the samples of the integra pcm engine are also in the jupiter, and being used in the super natural engine..

So the livesets are what makes this instrument so special..
Because with a single button press you can change livesets on the fly
Or change entire registrations..
The jupiter is designed as a tool to make music

Your fantom G is designed as kind of a daw with a keyboard attached..
Actually the only thing missing on the jupiter 80 from an arranger players point of view is arranger styles and multipads..

I will check later tonight if i can find a video that explains the jupiter 80

If the Jupiter 80 covers everything Roland-wise you wish for, I‘m happy for you. But for somebody who likes the symphonic samples of violin, viola and celli sections of the SRX 04 and the symphonic C-trumpets and French horn sections of the SRX 10, the Jupiter 80 is a disappointment because it just doesn‘t have these sounds and nothing comparable among the SN-A sounds.
The SN-A department just doesn‘t cover everything, and some of the SN-A tones sound disappointing, e.g. saxophones. I remember tunes where I used an SN-A tenor sax disliked by the audience, then swapped it with a MOXF tenor sax, which was appreciated much more. We have talked about the vibrato of SN-A tones, too, it often sounds artificial, as it‘s no sampled vibrato. Some things like the automatic slides (trumpet etc.) are nice, but all in all, SN-A is not the eye opener in terms of realism...

Edited by Crossover (10/24/19 10:02 AM)

#478767 - 10/24/19 09:59 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: Crossover]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Crossover
Originally Posted By Bachus
Bachus, just curious. I don't follow these things too closely but I have a barely used (bought new) Fantom G7 with all the upgrades and was wondering what the difference was between it and the Jupiter. I must admit I never really explored the Fantom G7 in depth but always thought it had a lot of features. How would IT have fit the role you have planned for the Jupiter?

chas

Chas, the G7 is a workstation (very good one), with sequencer, audio and midi recording and sampling,.

The Jupiter 80 is a performance instrument (also very good) with NO sequencing or sampling. The sound engine is based on the Integra7.. with the Integra7 having the edge in complete sound library (includes all of the SRX expansion sounds..).

Actually its the other way around...
The Jupiter is the super natural instrument
The integra inherrited some of that DNA, and much more..

But the Jupiter 80’s engine has more depth in :
Live sets..
Harmony
Arpeggiator
Effects..

The limitation of the integra for live use is its limitation of only 64 studio sets..
Jupiter has 512 full registrations.. and 2500 live sets.. a studio set replaces both of these
You can compare the integra more with a racked version of a Fantom G(sound part)

The strength of the Jupiter 80 is the layers and splits, which are incredible flexible
The jupiter 80 is the ultimate live instrument.. and Rolands founders dream come true
However due to its totally new format it was hugely misunderstood by most
But Yamaha and the montage went partly the same road..
People addapted over time... and where the Jupiter wasnt popular at release.
Its now more popular then ever in the live scene

A super natural synth sound can also contain 3 pcm partials..
So the pcm part is there in the jupiter 80

Imagine the Jupiter 80 as an arranger witouth styles..
You have 4 voices, that can be layered and split..
2 of those voices are live sets, concisting of 4 sounds
1 voice is manuall percussion/manual bass
1 voice is the solo voice (top right)
The engine treats all of these voices different..
Even the left and right parts.. as the left part for example has chord detection
Where the right part has the harmonies based on them as we know from the arrangers

The sounds are all super natural..
Super natural is an engine that combines sampling with physical modulation and behaviour moddeling
Where some people indicate that it has no pcm samples, they are wrong..
Most of the samples of the integra pcm engine are also in the jupiter, and being used in the super natural engine..

So the livesets are what makes this instrument so special..
Because with a single button press you can change livesets on the fly
Or change entire registrations..
The jupiter is designed as a tool to make music

Your fantom G is designed as kind of a daw with a keyboard attached..
Actually the only thing missing on the jupiter 80 from an arranger players point of view is arranger styles and multipads..

I will check later tonight if i can find a video that explains the jupiter 80

If the Jupiter 80 covers everything Roland-wise you wish for, I‘m happy for you. But for somebody who likes the symphonic samples of violin, viola and celli sections of the SRX 04 and the symphonic C-trumpets and French horn sections of the SRX 10, the Jupiter 80 is a disappointment because it just doesn‘t have these sounds and nothing comparable among the SN-A sounds.

To each their own..
I can see how in a studio environment other things become important..

The big advantage of the integra 7 is that it will probably never grow old
As it indeed holds all things Roland since the d50..
Its a superb collection of sounds..

#478770 - 10/24/19 10:09 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Still just a matter of personal needs and tastes though. I have to agree that "great instruments never grow old". I still love some of the (performance) sets from my ancient Triton Classic; even my equally ancient Motif ES. I still prefer the dedicated instruments such as my Crumar SEVEN, but that's not a fair comparison.

chas

#478772 - 10/24/19 10:16 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: Bachus]
Crossover Offline

Some of the SRX sounds such as the brass and string boards were absolutely excellent in the early 2000s, they were used by Madonna‘s band on stage etc.
Unfortunately, Roland abandoned new sampling sessions. As I know from members of a German forum, the original sampling data of many SRX sounds used to be sold in much better quality and larger sample sizes on CD-ROMs under the Spectrasonic label (Eric Persing) in the late 1990s, so technically one could make them available in larger sample sizes for the new Fantom. I guess it‘s a license issue they don‘t do it.

Edited by Crossover (10/24/19 10:18 AM)

#478782 - 10/24/19 11:28 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Still just a matter of personal needs and tastes though. I have to agree that "great instruments never grow old". I still love some of the (performance) sets from my ancient Triton Classic; even my equally ancient Motif ES. I still prefer the dedicated instruments such as my Crumar SEVEN, but that's not a fair comparison.

chas

I can understand your love for the Crumar..
GSI makes incredible instruments..

My Gemini is near perfect with its 15 engines..
However not fun to edit, and limited to 128 presets..
The new Vienna piano is also a huge step up..

#478784 - 10/24/19 11:32 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: Crossover]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Crossover
Some of the SRX sounds such as the brass and string boards were absolutely excellent in the early 2000s, they were used by Madonna‘s band on stage etc.
Unfortunately, Roland abandoned new sampling sessions. As I know from members of a German forum, the original sampling data of many SRX sounds used to be sold in much better quality and larger sample sizes on CD-ROMs under the Spectrasonic label (Eric Persing) in the late 1990s, so technically one could make them available in larger sample sizes for the new Fantom. I guess it‘s a license issue they don‘t do it.

Roland allways was great in recognisable iconic sounds..
And Eric indeed has a golden touch where it comes to sound..

Did you ever get your hands on the keyscape library?
Such incredible high quallity sampling ..

#478786 - 10/24/19 11:50 AM Re: Roland..sound... [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have known Eric since 1984.
He was programing sounds for the JX8P and JX10 then and later the D50.
He was also the Demo guy at the Namm shows.

I watched excel into a top notch sound producer, and later started Spectrosonics.

I have some old video tapes of Eric demoing the sound library for the S50.. and he demoed using a breath control for realistic sax..

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online