SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#478495 - 10/22/19 01:49 PM Have we changed?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
So have we changed or has it always been this way? I'm referring to this new, almost total emphasis on new gear acquisition. Sure, it's always nice to pick up a new piece of gear but isn't it even nicer to accomplish something musically? I'd much rather applaud the guy who announces that after weeks of trying to figure it out, he finally learned how to ***fill-in-the-blanks*** on his second-hand, 10 yr.old PSR3000. It was a musical/technical challenge and he rolled up his sleeves, tackled it, and solved it. It took me literally years of practice to play just one odd meter song (Take Five) comfortably, but it gave me a since of accomplishment greater than I've ever gotten buying a piece of gear. Why? Because it demanded musical skill, dedication, hard work, and because it was about MUSIC. By contrast, how much skill does it take to buy a piece of gear off the internet? As far as I know, all that's required is a computer and a credit card. These days it seems all someone has to do is say they PLAN to buy a piece of gear and suddenly they're treated like some kind of conquering hero who just won the Nobel Prize in music.
I remember the fun we had when we did things like ask members to put up their versions of a song we'd all agreed upon. No one cared what kind of instrument it was done on (or it's vintage). The emphasis was on the MUSIC. MUSIC is an art form, purchasing gear is NOT an art form. Furthermore, there is also the sometimes not so subtle pressure on people to buy new gear when they've given no indication whatsoever that they're dis-satisfied with the gear they already have. Almost like a shaming thing if you aren't caught up in the crazyness. If you go to a guitar forum, guys are so proud of their vintage instruments; if you go to a keyboard forum, guys are super proud of their vintage B3's and classic Rhodes. That's not to say that gear lust doesn't exist in those quaters; naw, if they're American, that's in the DNA smile , but, the emphasis is still mostly about the music. Here, it seems to be mostly about the gear....and that's sad. I was heartened by Ekuburski's resistence to upgrading because he didn't feel he had explored all that the Yammie 3000 had to offer. Sounds right to me. I've been playing a Hammond organ for 50 years and I still learn something new from time to time, mostly from watching Joey on YouTube smile. AND, there's a great sense of accomplishment when I master it. Practicing to master it keeps me far too busy to walk around lusting after new gear all day. But that's just me. I still say, let's put the emphasis back on music.

Just some random thoughts and observations.

chas

#478500 - 10/22/19 02:27 PM Re: Have we changed? [Re: cgiles]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
Very well said. I think with all the new technology we get caught up in all the things the machine can do, and put less emphasis on what we should be doing. Music is an art form and as such is an endeavor onto its own. It has been said many times here that a person who plays well can make any instrument sound great. For older people, such as myself, the world has changed a lot. People want things instantly and are less willing to do the work it takes to be really good. Maybe all this new technology has brought about its own distraction to the art of music making. But the world goes on and time will tell what music ends up being.

#478505 - 10/22/19 02:59 PM Re: Have we changed? [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Instant gratification and always having to have the latest gear is the world we live in today, so until we get back to using that grey matter between the ears, instead of doing everything we are told to do by our technology, (Most people are addicted to technology these days) I am afraid talent and innovation will continue to be in short supply.

Bill

#478506 - 10/22/19 03:04 PM Re: Have we changed? [Re: solomon8]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I've been working on a registration for a new favorite old song this week. Using my Tyros 2 and enjoying that, to a point..it does lead to gear searching however.

As I continue to dig into this board, it does have me thinking about a newer one because I'm finding more functions I'm frustrated with, and wondering if Yamaha has changed anything, specifically being able to make changes globally in the function menu without assigning them to registrations.

So, at least for me, more playing leads to more gear questions and shortcomings in what I have.

Edited by sparky589 (10/22/19 03:05 PM)

#478515 - 10/22/19 03:36 PM Re: Have we changed? [Re: abacus]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By abacus
Instant gratification and always having to have the latest gear is the world we live in today,
Bill

Bill, you beat me to it as I was going to say pretty much the same thing.
I get chas' point, and I agree, but KBs are the least of it - it's phones, TV's, tablets, automobiles, etc., etc., etc. ...

#478529 - 10/22/19 05:08 PM Re: Have we changed? [Re: rikkisbears]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, I'm playing a B-3 and an arranger bought in the 90's.

The same issues are at the forefront of the photography, video, printing and many other endeavors.

Art is being minimized, in some instances by technology.

There aren't enough hours in the day for me to get comfortable with all the "tools" I use to make a living.

Thanks for the sobering look at reality, Chas.

Russ

#478531 - 10/22/19 06:08 PM Re: Have we changed? [Re: cgiles]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
So have we changed or has it always been this way? I'm referring to this new, almost total emphasis on new gear acquisition. Sure, it's always nice to pick up a new piece of gear but isn't it even nicer to accomplish something musically? I'd much rather applaud the guy who announces that after weeks of trying to figure it out, he finally learned how to ***fill-in-the-blanks*** on his second-hand, 10 yr.old PSR3000.

Another excellent post.

#478602 - 10/23/19 09:53 AM Re: Have we changed? [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Just read your topic to late..
And made another post about my latest toy..

Sorry about that...
Because you are probably right..
But i just can’t help being happy with every new toy..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#478604 - 10/23/19 10:07 AM Re: Have we changed? [Re: cgiles]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Hi Chass. Thank you for the kind comments about my stick in the mud attitude concerning upgrading. It is encouraging to know that someone I respect at least halfway agrees with me on sticking with an older kb. You mentioned that you have played the Hammond for 50 years and still learn new things all the time. Well I have been playing the drawbars for a year on my 3000 and feel that with the cost of a Hammond that is probably as close as I'll ever get to having one myself. Gotta say one of the thins I miss is bridging between two keyboards like you can on organ. I also miss the ability of adding volume and/or mass by just adding a new stop. Years ago I had a model 76r Story & Clark organ that I played out for 15 years. After playing from 7:00 pm to 4:00 am 4-5 nights a week I got to the point that I had gotten to the point that I could ring just about anything that was in that liitle beast that was in it. That's what I want to get to on the 3000. Gotta admit that I am enticed by new features. The loop chord player sounds interesting to me for one.

#478609 - 10/23/19 10:31 AM Re: Have we changed? [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bachus
Just read your topic to late..
And made another post about my latest toy..

Sorry about that...
Because you are probably right..
But i just can’t help being happy with every new toy..

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I was just questioning whether the act of purchasing new gear should be the main focus of the forum. What you DO with the new gear is far more interesting to me than just the fact that you were able to purchase it. I think the part that is annoying is the 'egging on' of others to get in on the buying frenzy, especially people who may not be able to afford it without negatively affecting family finances. Buying new gear is fine; making it seem like some major musical milestone is not. I'd prefer to see a brand new post stating "check out this tune I just did on my new ***fill-in-the-blanks***" rather than "Okay everybody, gather 'round. I'm buying a new Yamaha Penis...uh, I maean Genos". I mean "UNBOXING"!, come on, man, who really gives a damn? JMO.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online