SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#478414 - 10/21/19 12:06 PM Ketron SD40 vs SD90
Bachus Offline

After selling my modx last week
I Have an option to buy a rather cheep used sd40..
But i actually love the sd90..

The sd90 has
- great grand piano sounds
- audio drums, guitars etc..
- launchpad
- controlls more suited for my setup..

But the SD40 is about €1100 thats a steal..

However, these days a Used ketron is hard to sell in Holland
Thats why its available at such a good price...

I want to combine my genos styles with ketron style parts,
Synchronising both style engines..
As well as combining genos with sd40 voices..

Now, i am wondering, is there anyone that has experience combining 2 style engines? Of 2 different keyboards.. the sd40 might be an excellent box to start playing around with this, as currently use SD90’s seem impossible to find..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#478415 - 10/21/19 12:23 PM Re: Ketron SD40 vs SD90 [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The SD40 is the same as the SD7,,, It has audio drums, bass and guitar.

With AJ's programs, it will sound great.. Is it worth another $2,000 to get launch pad?

Combining two styles is overkill.. All you need is the Ketron, it will out perform your Genos in style play.

Two manufacturers never get along smile

#478424 - 10/21/19 01:24 PM Re: Ketron SD40 vs SD90 [Re: Bachus]
Crossover Offline

Where can you get an SD-40 for 1,100€? I always see prices around 1,700€.

#478454 - 10/21/19 06:35 PM Re: Ketron SD40 vs SD90 [Re: Bachus]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
At the risk of going further off-topic... I have combined two style engines, but probably not the way you're thinking of doing it.
I'm very picky about playing a minimum number of keys to get the desired chord. IMO Roland's Chord Intelligence does this better than any other brand. Moreover, I'm used to it.

So I created a very special style for the Roland that plays sustained triads or tetrads and an appropriate bass note whenever a key is pressed. This way, I can play on the Roland using my preferred fingering. The Roland sends chord + bass "note on" messages via MIDI to my Yamaha (or any other arranger.) The Yamaha interprets the incoming notes as fingered chords, and styles play normally as they would from an external master keyboard. Sync start works as one would expect.

Technically I'm playing two styles at the same time. But my special style is like a "free play" style. There's no rhythm, so the tempo and time signature are irrelevant. I'm not sending MIDI clock, SysEx, or otherwise trying to sync the two arrangers. The Roland style just augments the single notes I play by turning them into full chords.

If I play a chord progression with appropriate timing, and do a quick record on the Yamaha, the resulting MIDI song can be fed back into the Roland to drive its style engine. This functionality isn't as convenient or "real time" as the chord sequencers featured on some recent arrangers.

I'm a big fan of modules. Maybe someday when the prices bottom out and they're not the latest thing, I'll get an SD-40 of my own!

Edited by TedS (10/22/19 09:18 AM)

#478458 - 10/21/19 09:18 PM Re: Ketron SD40 vs SD90 [Re: TedS]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ted I am experimented with similar ideas using the G70 and EA7.
I run both keyboards independent of each other so I can use them normally.

The difference I use one as the midi clock..

This allows me to play a sequence on the G70 (primary) and send the midi clock control to the EA7 in style mode.. This allows me to do some of the things that I always liked on Yamaha.. like playing a different drum pattern with the sequence..

Also because the G70 reads the chords on any SMF.. I can play the chords live on the EA7..in style play..
This way I can have a mix of both with mutes and edits..

All other info is not transmitted or received.

This combination is like having 256 polyphony. 10 fills 8 variations 8 intros and endings. 6 pads , 9 assign buttons, sampler , D beam Drawbar organ, 15 sliders with multi functions, Audio player Midi recorder and wav recorder two mic inputs, and harmonizer, unlimited performances and storage up to 2 terabytes.. Touch screen and after touch.. Also two pair audio inputs, 4 separate outs and 16 effect processors.

Sounds like a pretty nice dual manual arranger workstation,, doesn't it? smile

Edited by Fran Carango (10/21/19 09:41 PM)

#478460 - 10/21/19 10:26 PM Re: Ketron SD40 vs SD90 [Re: Crossover]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Crossover
Where can you get an SD-40 for 1,100€? I always see prices around 1,700€.

Its not new, its about 2 years old... used condition
I never buy new...saves a lot of money

#478461 - 10/21/19 10:30 PM Re: Ketron SD40 vs SD90 [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
The SD40 is the same as the SD7,,, It has audio drums, bass and guitar.

With AJ's programs, it will sound great.. Is it worth another $2,000 to get launch pad?

Combining two styles is overkill.. All you need is the Ketron, it will out perform your Genos in style play.

Two manufacturers never get along smile

Yes, it has audio drums..

But not live drums, live guitars etc etc..

Soundwise it looks like the only difference is the new piano sounds...
And offcourse the sd90 has sampling and you can add sample packs...

There is more differences then just the launchpads

#478462 - 10/21/19 11:15 PM Re: Ketron SD40 vs SD90 [Re: TedS]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
At the risk of going further off-topic... I have combined two style engines, but probably not the way you're thinking of doing it.
I'm very picky about playing a minimum number of keys to get the desired chord. IMO Roland's Chord Intelligence does this better than any other brand. Moreover, I'm used to it.

So I created a very special style for the Roland that just plays triads or tetrads and an appropriate bass note whenever a key is pressed. This way, I can play on the Roland using my preferred fingering. The Roland sends chord + bass "note on" messages via MIDI to my Yamaha (or any other arranger.) The Yamaha interprets the incoming notes as fingered chords, and styles play normally as they would from an external master keyboard. Sync start works as it does normally.

Technically I'm playing two styles at the same time. But my special style is like a "free play" style. There's no rhythm, so the tempo and time signature are irrelevant. I'm not sending MIDI clock, SysEx, or otherwise trying to sync the two arrangers. The Roland style just augments the notes I play by turning them into full chords.

If I play a chord progression with appropriate timing, and do a quick record on the Yamaha, the resulting MIDI song can be fed back into the Roland to drive its style engine. This functionality isn't as convenient or "real time" as the chord sequencers featured on some recent arrangers.

I'm a big fan of modules. Maybe someday when the prices bottom out and they're not the latest thing, I'll get an SD-40 of my own!

The genos does send midi clock and style start and stop signals..
I am hoping that i can make the ketron start their styles based on that trigger..

Keeping sync should not be much of a problem..
I plan using the ketron more like an extra set of multipads, for live mixing on top of a style.. and for drums..

I do realise that it will only work for main variations..
And when switching variations on genos, the ketron will not follow..

Having fills and intros might become more problematic..

But i might end up having the sd40 for just more styles and voices..which is equally good to me...

I just made an offer on the sd40, so chances are big that i will report back on this.. with my experiences..

#478600 - 10/23/19 09:46 AM Re: Ketron SD40 vs SD90 [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

Thats how things go, didn’t make the deal on the sd40..
They wanted a downpayment.. and thats where my dealings on internet stop..
My dealings on internet have 2 rules a)pickup b)paying in cash at pick up.

So i spend my money elsewhere..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online