SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#477708 - 10/10/19 04:50 PM Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Here's some highlights from a gig we did in Arkansas over the summer.
It was a very far drive from Dallas, on a very hot day. But the club treated of well and provided great accommodations, sound and lights. We played lots of norteña (Mexican polka) huagango (6/8) banda, and cumbia. Probaly not anyone's on this forums cup of tea, but I thought some maybe interested in an arranger KB used in conjunction with a live drummer.... It all worked fine but If I had to do this gig again maybe I would've just done "live" LH bass.

Anyways, the line up is mostly "familia": Wife on vocals, newphews on accordion and guitar and a dear old college friend on drums. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#477709 - 10/10/19 04:53 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

clapexcellent Thanx for sharing!

#477710 - 10/10/19 05:17 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Excellent mi amigo! I lived in El Dorado for ten years. For a relatively small town, there is always something going on. It is the headquarters for Murphy Oil Corporation, where I was once Advertising and Public Relations Manager.

#477715 - 10/10/19 06:52 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
You had to pass right through Texarkana to get there unless you went by air. (My old stomping grounds!) I agree with Don and Donny, great work. When I was in my teens, I would listen to the powerful radio stations in Mexico... mostly Rancho music and I enjoyed it so much. My brother came in late one evening from work, asked me to turn off the radio so he could sleep. I refused! He modified my nose with one punch. I turned the radio off before I took my nose-bleed to the shower. Seems like yesterday. I still enjoy Rancho music... and Latin Genre to this day.

----Dave

#477720 - 10/10/19 08:14 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Riceroni9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Great stuff, Paul ...
Thank you

#477739 - 10/11/19 04:37 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
I simply love this kind of music, make me feel happy! 🎵🎵🎵🎵
Reminds me of Texas Tornados (Doug Sahm and Augie Meyers), Freddy Fender as well.
Also Ry Cooder's album Chicken Skin Music is a favourite in same genre.

Thank you for sharing, lots of memories came back to me while listen.

👍👌
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#477748 - 10/11/19 06:53 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Torch Offline

Yes, I agree that it is happy, cheerful music! In my region, it is not uncommon that young people blast this type of music from their cars and it's the only kind of music that doesn't bother me at such a high volume.

Now Mountainman, I understand that when the German immigrants brought their diatonic accordions over to Texas, Obviously they had a musical influence on the locals. Do you know why Norteno/Conjunto is slower in tempo than German polka? The answer is rather amusing (no racial connotation), but I will let you take a crack at it.

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#477751 - 10/11/19 07:26 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Torch]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Love it.....It makes Me want to get up and Dance! (I'm 71)...The World needs to be more Happy and fun with all the Trash that's going on....Thank You So Much....Sincerely Harold

#477768 - 10/11/19 12:05 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Harold123]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Harold123
Love it.....It makes Me want to get up and Dance! (I'm 71)...The World needs to be more Happy and fun with all the Trash that's going on....Thank You So Much....Sincerely Harold

That an interesting point, Harold. I notice that with this type of music the very young , the old folks, and everyone in between has fun and enjoys this music. It's not uncommon to see the little kids running around the dance floor, with the teens thorough the elderly dancing. It a common shared cultural experience that crosses generational divide.

#477769 - 10/11/19 12:20 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Torch]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Torch
Yes, I agree that it is happy, cheerful music! In my region, it is not uncommon that young people blast this type of music from their cars and it's the only kind of music that doesn't bother me at such a high volume.

Now Mountainman, I understand that when the German immigrants brought their diatonic accordions over to Texas, Obviously they had a musical influence on the locals. Do you know why Norteno/Conjunto is slower in tempo than German polka? The answer is rather amusing (no racial connotation), but I will let you take a crack at it.

Chris

Yes, European music traditions and migrants has had a big influence on Mexican and Tejano music, as can be heard in the polka based rhythms and the use of accordion. In my neighborhood too, we hear these sounds everywhere. An accordion is a very common sight around these parts. Our SZ friend Chas maybe would hate Texas!

Oh, and why is the Mexican polka slower than the German polka? Sounds like some sort of joke!

#477772 - 10/11/19 12:31 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
I simply love this kind of music, make me feel happy! 🎵🎵🎵🎵
Reminds me of Texas Tornados (Doug Sahm and Augie Meyers), Freddy Fender as well.
Also Ry Cooder's album Chicken Skin Music is a favourite in same genre.

Thank you for sharing, lots of memories came back to me while listen.

👍👌

I'm surprised to find a fellow from Norway that likes this kind of music! Honestly, it took awhile for my wife and I to warm up to it and start performing musica nortena. although we've heard this music our whole lives. We're more into the tropical Latin sound of salsa, merengue, and bachata. But there is such a demand for nortena music here in Texas, and it's speeding so much, that we had to jump on the band wagon. We actually like it now and have a greater appreciation of it after digging into it a performing it.No reason for musical snobbery (especially if you want to work)

#477773 - 10/11/19 12:36 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Riceroni9]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
You had to pass right through Texarkana to get there unless you went by air. (My old stomping grounds!) I agree with Don and Donny, great work. When I was in my teens, I would listen to the powerful radio stations in Mexico... mostly Rancho music and I enjoyed it so much. My brother came in late one evening from work, asked me to turn off the radio so he could sleep. I refused! He modified my nose with one punch. I turned the radio off before I took my nose-bleed to the shower. Seems like yesterday. I still enjoy Rancho music... and Latin Genre to this day.

----Dave

Hi Dave, I've heard about those old power Mexican stations that could broadcast into the states. I heard they would even play C&W and rock n'roll. Very cool you enjoyed the ranchera music despite annoying brother!

#477774 - 10/11/19 12:39 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Donny and Tony thanks for listening ! Your kind remarks mean a lot coming from musical veterans such as yourselves.

#477775 - 10/11/19 12:44 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Excellent mi amigo! I lived in El Dorado for ten years. For a relatively small town, there is always something going on. It is the headquarters for Murphy Oil Corporation, where I was once Advertising and Public Relations Manager.

Thanks Don! Interesting that you have an El Dorado connection. It's kind of the last place I'd expect to do any kind of Latin gig. The club usually features country or R&B groups but they're trying to tap into the growing Latino market. Anyways, nice town and people. The club treats us nice and doesn't mess around with the money.

#477777 - 10/11/19 12:46 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Thank you for sharing such a vigorous performance, liked it!

#477782 - 10/11/19 01:31 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By montunoman

I'm surprised to find a fellow from Norway that likes this kind of music! ----

I can assure you, I'm not the only one.
Scandinavians love music that appeal to the heart and make the feet wanna jump out at the floor and dance.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#477786 - 10/11/19 02:39 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When I was a kid, in another century, in Tulsa, we got a strong radio signal from Del Rio!

#477789 - 10/11/19 02:47 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thank you so much for sharing.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#477790 - 10/11/19 02:49 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By DonM
When I was a kid, in another century, in Tulsa, we got a strong radio signal from Del Rio!

Haha, I think a number of us were born near the middle of the last century.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#477816 - 10/11/19 08:08 PM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
Torch Offline

Yes, European music traditions and migrants has had a big influence on Mexican and Tejano music, as can be heard in the polka based rhythms and the use of accordion. In my neighborhood too, we hear these sounds everywhere. An accordion is a very common sight around these parts. Our SZ friend Chas maybe would hate Texas!

Oh, and why is the Mexican polka slower than the German polka? Sounds like some sort of joke!
Actually, it is not a joke, but something from a PBS music documentary called ACCORDION DREAMS: The history of Tejano accordion music. I bought the DVD a number of years ago, but I just found out that the whole video is available on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pPoMtqSzg4

OK, without a further ado, he-----re is the answer;

Texas is jut hotter than Germany!

The video made me buy three button boxes and one of them Italian made fitted with MIDI.

There is such beauty in simple music such German ethnic music and Tejano. In speaking of Latin flavored music, I thought you might enjoy this trio singing an old hymn and playing on three romantic nylon stringed guitars. Such a simple arrangement and such humble-looking guys. I can listen to these guys for hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grMmHY5bnHk

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#477818 - 10/12/19 12:05 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Torch]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Good Music Chris.......Accordion was My first Instrument age 10. Gifted to Me from My Parents along with Music lessons...I can Never Forget Them for Implanting Music in My Life. It stays in One's Heart forever....Harold

#477820 - 10/12/19 12:38 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Harold123]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Good Music Chris.......Accordion was My first Instrument age 10. Gifted to Me from My Parents along with Music lessons...I can Never Forget Them for Implanting Music in My Life. It stays in One's Heart forever....Harold

Harold change the age to 12... and that is me too smile

#477834 - 10/12/19 04:59 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Cool story about the Tex-Mex polka!

#477867 - 10/12/19 08:42 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

Harold change the age to 12... and that is me too smile

I was 13 years old ... I had actually taken 6 guitar lessons when the accordion player in the band my parents liked to 'follow' convinced them I should play accordion ... I don't know where the guitar would have taken me, but playing keys all these years has certainly had its rewards ...
keys singer

#477869 - 10/12/19 08:56 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Paul, just listened to most of it again ... really fun stuff to play, but I'm sure it makes you work ... Your wife must have a lot of stamina ...
Thanks again for posting

#477870 - 10/12/19 09:17 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: Harold123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Love it.....It makes Me want to get up and Dance! ..The World needs to be more Happy and fun with all the Trash that's going on....Thank You So Much....

Plus one smile

#478026 - 10/14/19 06:33 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: tony mads usa]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Paul, just listened to most of it again ... really fun stuff to play, but I'm sure it makes you work ... Your wife must have a lot of stamina ...
Thanks again for posting

Thanks Tony. Cynthia loves to dance and in fact she a certified Zumba instructor. Besides that she is a middle school counselor, real estate agent, and of course a great wife and mom!

#478028 - 10/14/19 07:27 AM Re: Musica Norteña en El Dorado, Arkansas [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Thanks again for posting

Thanks Tony. Cynthia loves to dance and in fact she a certified Zumba instructor. Besides that she is a middle school counselor, real estate agent, and of course a great wife and mom!

The one thing we all have that is the same is 24 hours in a day ... I get amazed at how some people do so much more than others in that same amount of time ...
God Bless you and your family ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online