SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#476535 - 09/23/19 09:01 AM Some recordings that I did on Genos ...
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
H! - So here is some info for my latest recording effort ... the details about it are in the attached file (text reproduced below in case the file doesn't attach properly here) ... and the link to the files (MP3s) of the actual 28 songs I recorded.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qt3mcx4k6mbcnsw/AAD8MrSMfgBgRZVtVR4cK0u_a?dl=0

WriteUp:
It had been a few years since I've recorded anything, so I finally decided to record some songs ... I finally got around to doing it in September 2019! The result is this 28-song "long album" of songs. This time, I decided to record mostly upbeat tunes, since my previous recording efforts a few years back, were mostly on the more mellow side. So there are a lot of rock/pop tunes from 1950s-1970s or so. My idea was not to try to make "perfect" recordings, but to do informal instrumental arrangements of a group of songs.

For these interested in the more technical side of things, a few notes: I recorded this entirely using my Yamaha Genos keyboard, which I purchased about a year ago. For the most part, each song is recorded in one pass or "take" all the way through. For some of the songs, I went back and added (overdubbed) a few small extra parts. Some of the things I sometimes added were things like: on a few songs: tambourine, ride-cymbal, strings, and on some other songs, a few solo parts like a trumpet, sax or guitar. The rest (bass, drums, piano, most strings & horns, etc.) were all recorded as part of that "first take" of recording the song.

Enjoy! Jim

Attachments
JL Upbeat Album Write-Up.pdf (148 downloads)
Description: About my 2019 recordings ...

#476538 - 09/23/19 09:38 AM Re: Some recordings that I did on Genos ... [Re: jimlaing]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Very nice work Jim! Definitely showcases the great sounds and styles of the Genos and your talent as well! Thanks for sharing - didn't get to hear them all but every one I picked was a very enjoyable listen! Thanks again! rocker

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#476541 - 09/23/19 09:55 AM Re: Some recordings that I did on Genos ... [Re: jimlaing]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jim I didn't get a chance to listen through all yet, but you did a great job .. You captured the essence of each song, including "hooks" of the songs..

#476542 - 09/23/19 10:02 AM Re: Some recordings that I did on Genos ... [Re: jimlaing]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By jimlaing
H! - So here is some info for my latest recording effort ... Jim

Jim, fine work. I just have one teeny suggestion. In Axel F - I'd change the delay rate to the tempo of the song. It'll clean up your melody, and still retain that synth vibe. I'm settling in to do some recording myself soon, now that summer is over, and I have a few days off every so often. Getting excited.

#476551 - 09/23/19 10:31 AM Re: Some recordings that I did on Genos ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

clap
nice work Jim... Keep them coming...
Maybe add some vocals too.
Loved it.

#476560 - 09/23/19 11:05 AM Re: Some recordings that I did on Genos ... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Stop trying to make everyone a singer. Ain't gonna happen.

#476565 - 09/23/19 12:22 PM Re: Some recordings that I did on Genos ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Dnj

Stop trying to make everyone a singer. Ain't gonna happen.

Your so negative lately in your old age..sheeeeesh

#476567 - 09/23/19 12:25 PM Re: Some recordings that I did on Genos ... [Re: jimlaing]
Uncle Dave Offline

YOU'RE wrong about that. I'm a hoot.
smile

#476577 - 09/23/19 01:59 PM Re: Some recordings that I did on Genos ... [Re: jimlaing]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Why buy a great keyboard and cover it up with vocals?

Vocals won't make the keyboard sound better... but the keyboard will make vocals sound better smile

One thing I notice .. most better singers, try to adapt to their voice that always have a poor mix and balance from the keyboard sounds..

First give away, lack of any bass presence, too many mids and highs.

Secondly, over done tracks, way too busy.. In the end, you end up with a mess.

Maybe that is why folks are leaning towards professional karaoke tracks..

Edited by Fran Carango (09/23/19 02:06 PM)

#476586 - 09/23/19 03:42 PM Re: Some recordings that I did on Genos ... [Re: jimlaing]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I listened to a couple of these...Crocodile Rock & In my life...Great job

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online