SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#476171 - 09/17/19 03:10 PM OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Is it money? By now the Stones and others surely don't need any more cash .
Is it that they still get a thrill from preforming ? The headaches of traveling and touring are rough.
Do they feel it keeps them going? This is my choice as I feel they think in back of their minds it keeps them young. Just look at what its done for Keith Richards LOL!!!

Edited by Bill Lewis (09/17/19 06:41 PM)

#476173 - 09/17/19 03:29 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ... I think it's about the thrill of performing ... Don't we get excited when we are about to perform? Imagine doing it in front of thousands of 'adoring' fans ...
And while travelling can be tough, these guys aren't doing it the way we would ... wink

#476178 - 09/17/19 04:37 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Not just bands. Heard this morning one of greats back in the 60s, turned 79 today, and he’s still on the road.

Must just enjoy it, I guess.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#476179 - 09/17/19 04:40 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Tony
Your right as I think my reason is also. Its still the Adrenilin rush.
The question came to me as I Just finished the book Good Lovin" by Gene Cornish of the Rascals. Sort of disjointed writing but it constantly mentions each of them trying to get gigs with various bands after the Rascals and it seems all of them except Eddie needed the money. ( Gene blew his up his nose ) Felix is still touring with a tribute group and the reason the "Once Upon a Dream " tour was abruptly canelled was arguments over money. I think at that point they would be thrilled to forget all the past BS and finally get back together and get in front of long time fans and just rock out again. Thye were promised 10K a night each and at first got it but shortly thereafter it was cut to 5K as expenses for the tour were so high. 5K a night with all expenses paid ain't bad for having a great time IMHO
BYW I got to see the show on the last leg of the tour. They and the audience had a ball Awesome !

#476180 - 09/17/19 04:48 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Bill - I think (like Tony) that many of the guys who made their names (and fortunes) go up in lights...can't resist the attention and reliving all the fun. I ran into the sax player for Chicago. He waits for the phone to ring and goes whenever and wherever he is asked to go - said he loves the crowds and keeping the tunes alive.

My first cousin runs a concert service called "Legends of Rock & Roll" up in Western MD. Five or six times a year, they bring in one of the great groups or soloists from the good old days. The venue sells out every time and the crowds love seeing their idols and hearing them re-create the old songs. Granted, some of the groups don't have all the original members, but they do the songs just like they were done when we were youngsters.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#476181 - 09/17/19 04:49 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
It’s all they know. Especially when so many die after they stop working, as shown over the last week.

Money...probably isn’t bad either.
JM

#476182 - 09/17/19 06:12 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

How does an arranger keyboard fit into this scenario of longetivity?

#476184 - 09/17/19 06:46 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

I changed the topic
to OT as it really has nothing to do with Arrangers. Sorry about that. After reading the mentioned book I did some thinking and wondering. Just piut it up for discussion.

#476185 - 09/17/19 06:55 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

It doesn't , because these performers either play the instruments themselves, or have back up bands that play them so there is no need for an arranger keyboard ...

#476186 - 09/17/19 07:13 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By Dnj

It doesn't , because these performers either play the instruments themselves, or have back up bands that play them so there is no need for an arranger keyboard ...

But as we all know just shut off accomp and you can certainly use it in a band... Just sayin..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online