SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#474509 - 08/12/19 05:11 AM Category you think Yamaha are still weak in?
DannyUK Offline

From what I've gathered over the years and especially reading the many posts from members here, the consensus seems to be that Yamaha's weakest area has been in the Latin section (if we are talking about one of the major categories on a keyboard). I probably tend to agree especially when I've put my Korg's right up against it, in fact, every single Korg I've owned from the i30 in fact !!!.

I don't know why but Yamaha's latins have always seemed a little lacking, tame or dare I say, lifeless/bland/average. The latest free Latin expansion pack for the S970/S975 (that actually makes up part of the PLUS section in the S975) wasn't that earth shattering either. But then you look at the other major categories ballads, dance, swing, R&B etc.. and they are some of the best out there. But to be fair, I do really like some of Yamaha's Bossa's though, they've always been very nice. Not so good with ChaChaCha's.

So why is there such a difference with Latins? Is it the drums that makes all the difference? Or don't they just know how to do it.

Edited by DannyUK (08/12/19 05:12 AM)

#474511 - 08/12/19 05:54 AM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: DannyUK]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Danny, I tend to agree with your assessment of Yamaha’s Latin styles.
I own Yamaha, Korg and Ketron keyboards. They have their pluses and minuses
with Latin. For tropical Latin ( salsa,merengue,bachata, cha-cha-cha ) Ketron is the leader by far. For Brazilian bossa-nova I prefer the smooth sound of Yamaha. Korg does a very nice job with tropical Latin and regional Mexican, but I don’t care for their bossa nova much.

I must say Yamaha has improved greatly especially with the regional Mexican styles. For banda, norteña, and mariachi Yamaha is at the top, thanks to Manuel Durante’s amazing styles. Very impressive and authentic.

Also I like Yamaha’s audio styles for the cha-cha-cha and salsa. The percussion sound and feel really adds a lot.

Let me add, with Yamaha, for certain styles like cumbia, you must find third party styles and not use the poorly constructed built in styles that come with the keyboard.

But in the end it comes down to the player. If you can play Latin well, and sing well in Spanish, any of the brands will work out just fine.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#474512 - 08/12/19 06:12 AM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: montunoman]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman

Also I like Yamaha’s audio styles for the cha-cha-cha and salsa. The percussion sound and feel really adds a lot.

I must admit I didn't take into consideration the ChaChaCha Audio style because for some reason (rightly or wrongly) I always felt that Audio styles on a Yamaha have felt experimental rather than serious, not that's a bad thing, although I think I'm right in saying that I don't think those Audio styles are directly being carried over into the SX 900 range for example, or at least any new ones.

To be fair I know there is a old Premium Pack for Latin still available for the Tyros 4 to purchase which I may look into if it isn't too expensive still but having just pre-ordered an SX900 I may just wait anyway and see if they do anything similar for it.

I agree it is certainly down to the player as well.

#474513 - 08/12/19 07:17 AM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: DannyUK]
montunoman Offline

Does anyone know if Yamaha has abandoned audio styles? Personally I like a few of them. I hope at least they keep the ones the created already on their new lines of keyboards.

#474514 - 08/12/19 08:00 AM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: montunoman]
DannyUK Offline

Does anyone know if Yamaha has abandoned audio styles? Personally I like a few of them. I hope at least they keep the ones the created already on their new lines of keyboards.

I've just checked the Owners Manual on both the S975 & SX900 within the "Style Characteristics" section and there's no mention of Audio Styles on the SX900, it even has a capture of styles display for Pop&Rock which shows CanadianRock which I know is definitely an Audio Style on the S975 which doesn't say it is on the SX900.

I don't expect them to sound that different though even if they don't have Audio.

#474516 - 08/12/19 08:12 AM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: DannyUK]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
For what it's worth, the Roland EA7 has TONS of Latin styles. I don't use them much so can't really assess them or compare them, but it is wide use all over the world, except for U.S., mainly for its regional sounds.

#474519 - 08/12/19 08:41 AM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: DannyUK]
montunoman Offline

I never had the chance to try out a Roland as no stores in Texas carry them. I do like the Latin demos they have put out though.

#474531 - 08/12/19 09:31 PM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: montunoman]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico

Hello friends

I need to say something in this Latin style regard with Yamaha, not because I am part of the tema that develops this packs, but, I am certain that with the expansion packs like the Mariachi-Norteño-TexMex, Banda Mexicana, Cumbia Latina y mas, Salsa and now with the Fiesta Caliente, we have gather the authentic Latino styles, what the people hear on the radio and tv in Mexico, Central America, South-America, this is the "Real" latino music, NOW, the American/English concept of Latino is very different.....

The Bossa Nova, Samba, and others are the Latin concept more for the Anglo/American idea, so, in regard of Latino authenticity, I am pretty sure Yamaha now has it, as always, we are now working on the next expansion packs that are going to be part of the great collection of styles, as an example, on the Jazz/BBand category, we have many, many Foxtrots, Swings, etc...we are going to be doing the samething in the Latino categories, lets not settle with just one Rhumba or Bolero, or Chacha, there are many ways to play each one of those.

As an example, never ever before on any other board, had the Bajo sexto for the Norteño, nor the Vihuela and Guitarron, Gritos, etc....of Many samples for this series of expansion packs that make them sound authentic since this are the real instruments used on these genres.

My sugestion to some friends is to learn some songs that go with those styles, I will be happy to sugest different songs, as an example: Boleros: Perfidia, Contigo aprendí, Sabor a mi, Una historia de un amor. CHacha: El Bodeguero, Frenesí, Nunca en Domingo, Las lecciones del CHa cha cha, Espinita.
If it is the Mariachi Pack, in Joropo: La Bikina, mi Ciudad. In Cumbia Latina y mas, Vals Peruano: La flor de la Canela, Odiame, etc.
Cumbia Colombiana: Juana la Cubana, La Colegiala, La Pollera Colora.

My 2 cents

Manuel Dorantes

#474548 - 08/13/19 11:27 AM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: montunoman]
Bachus Offline

They didn’t abba don it, hey still work on the Genos, and probably will allways do..
I doubt however yamaha will make any new content for them..

Maybe in the future when they finally add an option to sync audio with midi. People will start creating their own audio tracks for genos..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#474667 - 08/16/19 11:07 AM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: Bachus]
DannyUK Offline

I will give Yamaha some credit though, this particular Bossa is really beautiful:

#474673 - 08/16/19 03:51 PM Re: Category you think Yamaha are still weak in? [Re: DannyUK]
montunoman Offline

To me Yamaha has always shined with the bosa nova and even some quasi Latin styles that Anglos like. But Yamaha needed SERIOUS help with the more contemporary styles that LATINOS actually listen and dance to at their events. Trust me, if you play a bossa nova, or the on board norteña, cumbias, bachatas, etc you’ll clear the dance floor real quick, and maybe even have some very upset clients. Lucky for Yamaha, they have Manuel Dorantes to help them with “real” Latin styles. The problem is, you have to have the latest model KB to have access to these great styles. Oh well, Yamaha has to keep selling keyboards....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online