SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#470490 - 05/28/19 09:00 AM New keys = Happy Camper
ZootAllures Offline

Loc: Upstate NY

Edited by ZootAllures (06/08/19 05:05 PM)

#470492 - 05/28/19 09:45 AM Re: New keys = Happy Camper [Re: ZootAllures]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Couldn't agree more about the vst's. As for convince, I can't compare hauling around and setting up a b-3 with the ease of using a vst clone of it!

#470493 - 05/28/19 11:02 AM Re: New keys = Happy Camper [Re: ZootAllures]
Dnj Offline

Good luck with your new gear... I found the same satisfaction with the Yamaha S670 pretty soon nobody will want to buy a top of the line arranger anymore... the lesser models sound good enough to do anything.. Have fun

#470494 - 05/28/19 11:44 AM Re: New keys = Happy Camper [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Good luck with your new gear... I found the same satisfaction with the Yamaha S670 pretty soon nobody will want to buy a top of the line arranger anymore... the lesser models sound good enough to do anything.. Have fun

Donny, not all players are happy with lower quality instruments.. I for one smile . Across the board all top models play better and feel better.

Some things you can't compromise.

#470496 - 05/28/19 12:30 PM Re: New keys = Happy Camper [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By Dnj

Donny, not all players are happy with lower quality instruments.. I for one smile . Across the board all top models play better and feel better.

Fran ok but I can't agree.. my s670 sounds just as good as my s970 if there's any major difference I can't hear it Aloha price is probably because of less features not sound.

Edited by Dnj (05/28/19 01:11 PM)

#470502 - 05/28/19 03:35 PM Re: New keys = Happy Camper [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Dnj

Fran ok but I can't agree.. my s670 sounds just as good as my s970 if there's any major difference I can't hear it Aloha price is probably because of less features not sound.

Not referring to sound.. I am talking about how the sound reacts to touch, and how the player reacts to keyfeel… There is a big difference.. Everything sounds great today in general, there are differences in the quality of the dc converters..

PS: comparing the 670 to 970 is not a fair comparison about what I am talking about.. they are nearly the same... Compare to Tyros5 or Genos, and you can easily measure the difference... I hope grin

AS for my personal comparisons... The BK9 feels and plays better than the EA7, and the G70 feels and plays better than the BK9... they all sound great... and yes I can hear detailed differences in all three models ..

Edited by Fran Carango (05/28/19 03:43 PM)

#470509 - 05/28/19 04:42 PM Re: New keys = Happy Camper [Re: ZootAllures]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By ZootAllures
Donny, Fran.. good comments. In my own experience, I see both points. I spent a good bit of time A / B-ing boards when I got the Genos. Genos vs the PSRs and then vs the PA4x. I could have been more than happy with the 975, They sounded very similar through the same speaker system. Hence all the time spent demoing them. The Genos eventually won me over against the PSRs because I liked the 76 keys, and I like the key feel better.

Vs the PA4x, the Genos was simply more ready to shine "out of the box". My PA3x only had 61 keys, and I was quite used to that. The PA700 key feel isn't quite the PA3 or 4x, but it's more than satisfactory for me. In truth, in spite of lacking some of what the PA4x has in it, I almost prefer the portability, speakers, and just fun of experimenting with the PA700 vs my old PA3x. I was more interested in the sounds / styles so I didn't play the PA4x to get that deep into all the functions, and I'm sure it has things that the 700 doesn't, but I can also see already that the 700 had features the 3x doesn't. Win win for me !!

I had zero intention of buying any keys the other day, but I was considering a look at the PA1000 somewhere down the road. I was hooked in literally 20 minutes. That almost never happens for me. I know I made a choice that will keep me happy for a long time. Point being, as long as arrangers remain relevant for some players, I think there is a market for all levels.

The most important thing is you are happy... The PA700 fits your needs and you are comfortable with it..

All keyboards have advantages and disadvantages.

I have the G70, it has everything I need in a keyboard, except a light portable choice.. That is why I have the EA7... They each have a purpose for my needs. If the day comes that I need to only have one... If I still enjoy playing, it will be the G70.. If I need a keyboard just to have available for small gigs etc... the EA7 most likely will stay, although I can not ever see a reason to not have the G70.. It only takes up a room or two smile

#470511 - 05/28/19 04:48 PM Re: New keys = Happy Camper [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I can not ever see a reason to not have the G70.. It only takes up a room or two smile

Yup ... it's great if you need extra scaffolding, too.

#470513 - 05/28/19 05:31 PM Re: New keys = Happy Camper [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

My comment was primarily Sound driven only before it all went south..

#470523 - 05/28/19 08:02 PM Re: New keys = Happy Camper [Re: ZootAllures]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By ZootAllures
Donny, I happen to agree with much of what you said here. Sounds were the big consideration for me, hence the decision to step out of my comfort zone a bit. That "zone" for me for a long time now has been Korg for arrangers and Vsts for specialty sound modules and analog modeling, and go to the Genos. I've had several Yamaha arrangers before, all the way back to the PSR 85, with mixed experiences, but the T2 was my first flagship. I thought it was great too, ( still is ) but I never played it quite as much as I did the PA3x for example. OTOH, I've had several of the Korg flagships at one time or another, and even if they aren't as intuitive for many folks, I got very used to the way they work, and for me they work great. Maybe that's the way Fran sees his G70 and Rolands in general ? He's right too. All that really matters is that the 700 is a winner for me. I no longer see me going for a PA1000 / 4x, and this will limit my use of the Micro arranger I still have... I love it's PA50/80 guts to this day btw.

I'm thinking those who have played and loved Yamaha arrangers like them because of how they sound and how well they perform as soon as you plug them in. Great styles to boot. I wanted some more of that too.. and I am thrilled with the Genos and don't expect that to change.. at all. My post is more an expression of surprise ( near shock tbh ) at how well I like the PA700, which I paid less than 900 USD for used and is pretty much in mint condition. I'm sure I would feel very much the same with a PSR S775, which is at a similar price point. Not wanting to debate or get into "my board is better".. not now.. not ever. Just amazed ( and VERY grateful ) at the bang for the buck on all these things in this time that we live in !

That's my point....
Under a grand and sounds amazing....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online