SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#470366 - 05/24/19 12:04 PM Re: BACKUP? [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, I'm talking about split unanimous decisions to repeat....go to the bridge...modulate....whatever, between two or more players.

In my world, the player leads the way, not the back-up whatever.

Russ

#470370 - 05/24/19 12:21 PM Re: BACKUP? [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ
Donny, I'm talking about split unanimous decisions to repeat....go to the bridge...modulate....whatever, between two or more players.

In my world, the player leads the way, not the back-up whatever.

Russ

I hear ya Russ...but there are many worlds in the solar system!

#470373 - 05/24/19 01:37 PM Re: BACKUP? [Re: cgiles]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - interesting topic! I have a lot of spare gear (small items) with me, but I don't carry a backup keyboard to gigs. I have not had a keyboard fail in ~40+ years of gigging, thankfully. (I'm 60 now) I was thinking about how ~50% or more of the places I play, have a piano in the same room (often a well-maintained grand piano), so that would be my first 'backup plan'. It would not be as dynamic and varied as what I do on my arranger keyboard, but I could do an hour or so that way no problem.

I was also thinking about how ~50% of my gigs are instrumental only; no vocals at all. The places have had me coming back regularly for 20+ years now, and many of them want me to come weekly or monthly (I don't do the weeklies, but I have a bunch I do once a month) ... I feel I give them plenty of variety, dynamic-ness (?word?) and changing sounds/styles/types of music, etc. etc, that they seem to overall enjoy the instrumental. Some are "background music" like a dinner or cocktail party, but most are "concert style" where they set up say 100 chairs all facing where I'm playing. I interact between songs (I'm a quiet-natured guy, so I don't tell jokes and stories much, unless they 'flow' from other stuff I am talking about - about the songs/music, taking requests, answering questions about me or my rig, etc. etc.)

The venues are 55+ communities (I'm doing more and more of those), plus retirement communities and "active adult" neighborhoods, and a few "non-senior" places also.

I have a duo version of what I do; adding a man who plays guitar and sings (and for those, I do some occasional harmony vocals) ... so for gigs where they really want a vocalist, we do it that way. (I'm just not a "solo vocalist" kind of guy! :-)

Anyway, interesting topic . . .

Jim

#470389 - 05/24/19 03:15 PM Re: BACKUP? [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
I think an audience would prefer the best musical offering you can provide as opposed to being pandered to with half-hearted crowd-pleasers.
chas

Chas, thanks for your kind words, and I know you're not trying to ruffle my feathers, but I had to highlight the above line. I never offer a half-hearted "anything" ... my gear, my attitude, and my preparation are given my full heart ... and soul, and sweat. I work on my musicianship more than my showmanship, because it needs more work. My bravado comes naturally, and needs to be kept in check. (Wish I had my Dad's tact) I believe humility on stage is paramount to audience appreciation, so I'm always aware of it, and constantly trying to improve.

It's true that most audiences go to a music venue to hear a good product, and watch its creation, but most people are not schooled musicians, and as such, they don't know exactly what to expect. If they see an act who smiles (Whitney?) , and gets immersed in a performance, they will probably enjoy it more than a scowling, twisted face, or someone's back (Jim Morrison?) because they can identify with it. That's why people respond to singers, and lyrics. We all love a good story, right?
It all comes down to ticket sales, and filling seats. I sure hope my bar stools keep getting filled, because I'm not ready for a new career at my age.

Thanks for the intelligent debate, and the chance to share some of my strongest thoughts on a subject that's very close to my heart. Let's keep the positive talk going.

#470416 - 05/25/19 09:22 AM Re: BACKUP? [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
If they see an act who smiles (Whitney?) , and gets immersed in a performance, they will probably enjoy it more than a scowling, twisted face, or someone's back (Jim Morrison?) because they can identify with it.

HA! Funny you should mention that. The great jazz legend, Miles Davis, was notorious for his aloofness, surly disposition, and playing with his back to the audience. Luckily for them, their huge talent was enough to overcome what surely would have been fatal, career-wise, to the average musician. Of course, they were both a little bit crazy. Drugs probably didn't help.

chas

#470420 - 05/25/19 01:03 PM Re: BACKUP? [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You don't get the chance to hear a Miles everyday.
smile

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online