SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#468667 - 04/14/19 09:03 AM Re: Hospital (Bruno-John C.) [Re: RC]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, vfib, which stands for ventricular fibrillation, is usually fatal if not converted within 4 minutes. When a patient goes into ventricular fibrillation, the heart's ventricles no longer contract in a sinus rhythm, but instead the ventricles go into a non-rhythmic contractions that looks like a bag of worms. At this stage, blood ceases to flow and within 4 minutes the lack of oxygen to the brain causes your untimely demise.

With Afib, or atrial fibrillation, only the atrial chambers go into fibrillation, while the ventricular chambers continue to function normally. Yes, this too is very dangerous, but usually is not immediately fatal. Though, if left untreated, atrial fibrillation can often lead to ventricular fibrillation, therefore it must be corrected ASAP.

Sometimes, medications will bring about the conversion, but most of the time, an electrical shock must be applied (defibrillation) either directly to the heart, or to the chest. This electrical shock causes the heart to go into complete standstill. If everything goes well, the heart will resume a normal, sinus rhythm and the patient is then regulated with medications. If the afib returns, a pacemaker is the best option to control the problem. The pacemaker usually has a built-in defibrillator, which is triggered by any onset of afib detected by it's internal monitor. When it fires off, the patients usually say it felt like they were kicked in the chest by a mule. eek

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#468669 - 04/14/19 10:51 AM Re: Hospital (Bruno-John C.) [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Fortunately, I did not need a pacemaker with defib ... Based on the reports I get when I see the cardiologist, it fires a fair amount of the time, but I never know when it happens ...

#468685 - 04/14/19 03:45 PM Re: Hospital (Bruno-John C.) [Re: RC]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes Gary. Trust me, I am quite familiar with what vfib is and does!

#468698 - 04/14/19 06:08 PM Re: Hospital (Bruno-John C.) [Re: RC]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Man, and I thought I had problems with my incontinence and arthritis. You guys make me feel fortunate. I also see what my wife is going through from her unsuccessful back operation and realize how good I still have it!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online