SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#468338 - 04/07/19 01:46 PM Thank god this type of music is still around -
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
-so I can die a happy man smile. Russ, I know that you (like me) like 'stylist'-type vocalists. This lady is pure perfection. Check out the piano solo - tasteful, elegant; no pyrotechnics but the message is all there. This would have been my life if I'd had the talent....maybe smile.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G99FfalLFWQ

chas

Edited by cgiles (04/07/19 01:47 PM)

#468347 - 04/07/19 07:14 PM Re: Thank god this type of music is still around - [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I’m with you thank God some of this music is still around. Wow wonderful music! Very tasty! Love this genre! Do I hear some Bach styling in that piano solo?

Edited by Stephenm52 (04/07/19 07:17 PM)

#468349 - 04/07/19 07:38 PM Re: Thank god this type of music is still around - [Re: Stephenm52]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Do I hear some Bach styling in that piano solo?
Yep, but then you're likely to hear some Bach in every classically trained jazz pianist in the last 50 years. Also, his single note lines reminds me a little of my idol, the great Hank Jones. He may not be up to Billy Childs' level but he's good (I love great accompanist, a skill unto itself).

Steve, you must be in music heaven with that solo piano gig. A "noodling" gig is the most freeing thing ever. I won't be surprised if you don't come back 'north' smile smile.

chas

#468370 - 04/08/19 03:59 AM Re: Thank god this type of music is still around - [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Chas, I’ve always enjoyed Hank Jones. Little tid bit of info he lived for some time in Cresskill, NJ. My late cousin and the brother I never had lived in Cresskill.

You’re right I’m in music heaven with this piano solo gig. It is freeing I look forward to every Monday and today is Monday smile

I hate to return north, the only reason we are is I’m an only child my mom is 93 and lives in our home in RI just downstairs from us. She needs some eyes on her and I’m the eyes.

#468396 - 04/08/19 09:35 AM Re: Thank god this type of music is still around - [Re: Stephenm52]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Lady's got the "stuff". So glad you're put and about, Chas.

R.

#468546 - 04/12/19 12:37 AM Re: Thank god this type of music is still around - [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Wonderful !!!!! Thanks so much Chas.

#468573 - 04/12/19 12:39 PM Re: Thank god this type of music is still around - [Re: cgiles]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thanks, Chas:

Nice rendition of a lovely "old standard." Not quite up to "Ella" but close enough to keep me glued.

#468574 - 04/12/19 01:21 PM Re: Thank god this type of music is still around - [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
This is more my style smile

#468575 - 04/12/19 01:35 PM Re: Thank god this type of music is still around - [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Dave, glad you enjoyed it, although personally I try to avoid 'rating' artists because of the subjectivity of music (and art) and the personal preferences that we (all) bring to an evaluation. I tend to divide jazz singers into two major categories; singers and stylist. Although some 'stylist' like Billie Holiday can bridge the gap, most tend to 'stay in their lane'. Ella and Sarah Vaughn and Mel Torme and Tony Bennett and (okay) Sinatra, are singers, Carmen Mcrae, Betty Carter, Shirly Horn, and this lady, Cecile Salvant, are stylists. Normally, I hate labels but sometimes when I think apples and oranges are being unfairly compared (my opinion only), I tend to speak out. For the record, I think it's perfectly ok, and even normal, to say I prefer this artist over this one, but often that is based on personal style preferences rather than the quality of the performance or artist, which is subjective at best.

BTW, this is in no way a rebuke of your post, Dave....it just triggered some thoughts on a subject I've thought about often in the past. Take care (and by all means listen to more jazz, it's therapeutic smile ).

chas

Edited by cgiles (04/12/19 01:37 PM)

#468576 - 04/12/19 01:41 PM Re: Thank god this type of music is still around - [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Fran, that's a beautiful rendition. Just goes to show how much 'relatively unknown' talent there is out there. Sadly, they aren't the ones making the big bucks. But hey, that's life. And like I said, everyone has their own preferred style. Thank goodness there are so many quality choices.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online