SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#46656 - 06/25/02 02:03 PM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
NSR Offline

Loc: Sonora, CA USA
Your third possibility, Alec would be better suited for the beginning player. It takes some familiarizing of CHORD MODIFY, with a lot of trial and errors to come up with what a player wants. CHORD MODIFY does well for people who use pre-sets. It is very good to use when a pre-set has the chord composed as a Major 7th, which can be a real pain in trying to use when playing deep harmonies. You will run into a problem of chord recognition every time. Getting around this is easy by going into GROUP and changing to Chord and CHORD MODIFY TYPE to CEG and click OK. One who is experienced in laying down tracks in COMPOSER will seldom use this or at least, I don't.

Getting back to bass sound - You can go into PART SETTING and change your Bass PITCH POINT. I generally set it to "E" because of the way the keyboard is designed. It will always play the higher F note and it sounds weak. By "E" being the cutoff, when you play an F, it will jump down an octave to the lower F and sound more resonant and fuller. On occasion, (but seldom) in composing a style, I will set it to respond to the higher F. It all depends on the style of music. An electric bass comes through well enough on the higher F. Using acoustic bass is another matter. It gets lost in your chord, with little resonance.

What I have discussed here is for what I have found to work best for a live performance. If you are doing recording work, there will no doubt be times you will want to change your bass pattern or chord to suit your song perfectly.

#46657 - 06/25/02 03:25 PM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
NSR, your reply about the bass pitch point clears up an annoying problem with the disappearing bass notes. I will give that a try rather than crank up the volume of the bass part. Another tweak to utilize! It is a fact - something can be learned from this forum every day. What a great site!! Thanks for the tip.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 06-25-2002).]

#46658 - 06/26/02 02:16 AM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
technicsplayer Offline

you need to change the pitch point in the composer depending on the key the pattern will be played in. It is also necessary to get the right sound out of many style conversions.

Not being a piano player I use the composer for everything, and use all the tweaks until it sounds right.

#46659 - 06/26/02 04:25 PM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
NSR Offline

Alec,

I disagree. Other than playing in the key of "F", the keyboard is designed well for the bass to fall in the proper place, other than my personal preference of preferring it hit the lower F instead of the octave above. As I have said, using electric bass is resonant enough for the higher bass F to come through. I stand by this statement PROVIDING a bass pattern hasn't been composed in a wild and all over the keyboard way and extending beyond a reasonable reach for a bass. Also, I am assuming one composes in the key of "C". If you want to play in another key, do so or use the transpose button. Once I compose a pattern, I have yet to have to change the pitch point later, depending on the key I play in. I can play in any key and the bass will respond in the proper place. I suppose if someone composed a bass track higher than the normal bass range, you can run into a problem that would definitely require going in and changing the pitch point. Otherwise, I have not had a reason to do this.

#46660 - 06/26/02 05:05 PM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
technicsplayer Offline

you've just proved it by saying it needs changing in F!

also depends on which voice you want to use.

#46661 - 06/26/02 05:57 PM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
NSR Offline

Alec,

You're fun! I wondered how long it would take for you to respond. (Laughing, as I write) Quick, I might add. You're reaching, my friend! It is purely a choice on ONE instance of whether the "F" is played an octave up or down. This has no baring on playing in any key other than the key of "F". If it helps, I promise not to change the pitch point in the future - just for you. You mention "voice" - Do you mean vocally? :-) Sorry, I couldn't resist. (LOL) I would use the symbols listed on the forum, if I knew how.

#46662 - 06/26/02 06:43 PM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
NSR, if you want to use symbols like this
...or (very apt!) then click HERE , and follow the "What to type" commands. Or click on the Smiles Legend at the bottom were you make your reply...

J5

#46663 - 06/26/02 07:37 PM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
NSR Offline

Hi J5,

I have tried this - It doesn't work. What is the problem? I don't have "Disable Smilies in This Post" checked. ? I have done exactly what was said and it doesn't work. A new symbol ~.~

#46664 - 06/27/02 12:54 AM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
technicsplayer Offline

well, you do things your way, and I'll continue doing them mine

I'm working on a song where I had to adjust the pitch point in every track of every variation of the (multiple) composers to get the backing where I wanted it. This was a vocal arrangement, so it was critical the voice samples did not go too far out of range when changing to all of the various chords in the song. Pitch point was the perfect solution to the problem.

#46665 - 06/27/02 08:00 AM Re: Recognizing cords Technics / Yamaha
NSR Offline

I have officially named you, Pitch Point Alec. What do they say, "Different strokes for different folks" - something like that. Anyway, our posts are all in fun and we all play differently. Speaking of, I think you are too modest, Alec in regards to your playing ability. You do such advanced things on the keyboard, I think you are holding out on us. Why won't these damn smilies work?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online