SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#466189 - 02/16/19 11:54 PM My recording of That's A Plenty (mp3)
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I think I posted this somewhere along the way. It's one of the tunes that I like what I did with it back in the days when I was playing regularly almost every day. Keyboards: Roland E-300, Roland U-20, Yamaha DX-7 played simultaneously.

But I also posted it for a reason. I commented to John about his excellent versatile use of the drum track on his Quiet Nights. That reminded me of what I did with this. Made the rhythm track part of the arrangement. I alternated the lead instrument between trumpet and trombone. Then, 3/4 of the way through where you hear the trombone being answered by the trumpet I made up that short riff. It was done with two keyboards at one time. Left hand playing the trombone on one board, right playing trumpet over it on the other board. I made sure I "overlapped" the two instruments to make it sound like two players were playing at the same time. Then I brought in the "pianist" to simulate another "band member."

The whole recording was done in one shot on one of my gigs. I've always been pleased with how it came out.

Arranger players could be doing so much more with their instrument if they would just explore possibilities and tap into their creative abilities with their resources right in front of them. I think one of the results would be that folks will develop more respect for arranger keyboards AND arranger players.

Mark

Attachments
That's A Plenty by Mark (year1991).mp3 (47 downloads)

#466191 - 02/17/19 01:59 AM Re: My recording of That's A Plenty (mp3) [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
One of my favorite Dixieland pieces. I liked yours better than the Dukes of Dixieland version. Excellent job and very innovative.

Bernie

#466207 - 02/17/19 09:31 AM Re: My recording of That's A Plenty (mp3) [Re: Mark79100]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Yes Mark. I agree with you 100%. But then stop and think about it. How any local bands spend time arranging the tunes they do in any special way? Would suggest that that is the main difference between so so groups and good owns. The main reason its taking me so long to gdet back to gigging is I could sit down and just play amd even sing a bunch of tunes by picking a style and plallying the song top to bottom without anything special happening just like most of the so so groups do. But I am trying to put together a book of all specials. A lot of work!

#466211 - 02/17/19 01:49 PM Re: My recording of That's A Plenty (mp3) [Re: ekurburski]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
That was excellent Mark ... thank you ... Not sure my fingers could move that fast today ...

This is S-Z at its best, with people posting their music, and not just asking when the next best thing is going to come along ...

Edited by tony mads usa (02/17/19 01:51 PM)

#466215 - 02/17/19 05:12 PM Re: My recording of That's A Plenty (mp3) [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
aaaaaaah, you did it Mark, I never hear this part of you. I like it, it’s exciting, it’s alive. I felt I was there.

More of your music Mark, John C.

#466217 - 02/17/19 05:14 PM Re: My recording of That's A Plenty (mp3) [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Very impressive work there Mark. Thanks for sharing!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online