SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4655 - 09/11/02 05:23 AM cover cover cover
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
Now I dont follow the 'top 40' charts but Ive been listening in to a radio station here that plays it ( to do with a competition .,. I swear )and in about an hour I heard around 8 covers of songs from the eighties..

?? I mean I know people do it but its out of control now.
comments?

#4656 - 09/11/02 06:36 AM Re: cover cover cover
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
..... There appears to be a great lack of 'original' good material throughout the arts today ..... it's ironic you bring this up today (9/11) because I was recently reading an article that said artists in all mediums were finding difficulty in creativity since 9/11/01 ... perhaps that's part of the problem ... another factor is the crap that the 'music' (translation = $$)industry forces down the ears of radio listeners today ... it seems like, if you're not in the 'mainstream', the only way to achieve some sort of success is to record something that was a success in the past ... granted Mick and the boys are showing some wear and tear (but didn't they always???), but they are out there on tour some 35+ years later .... how many of today's "stars" do you think will be doing that?!?!? ..... as a long time 'gigging' musician, I was always able to play a number of tunes off the 'top 40' charts ... there have been precious few that I've been able to do that with in the past decade ....
t.

#4657 - 09/30/02 11:11 AM Re: cover cover cover
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Just some thoughts.

We are living in an instant age. We want everything in an instant. So we raise kids to think this is normal. So today's pop music sells best if the song has an instant riff or melody. Today's pop is the same musical phrase repeated 20-30 times. Maybe I'm being picky. You sit one of today's kids down and ask him to listen to a 20 minute YES song, or even a 9 minutes yes song where the musical phrases change. Oh you might hear the intro one or two more times which is cool. I'm not against repeating but today's loop are too much for my taste. Anyway what I'm drivin at is the music companies are just as fast. They want an instant hit. They don't even have time to wait for an artist. Man they'll grab something out of the archives and loop it 100 times for a hit. They can then choose any person they want to to be the performer of the new loop/song.

It's just the age we live in. Fast man. It's haulin. Somewhere in the future someone will have to build a device that will allow us to hear a 3:47 song in 10 secs.

I know there are lots of very talented musicians around. Very creative. Very excellent. Those that take their time to produce a nice musical composition. But they just aren't selling to the fast paced kids of todays instant gratification society. So I believe they exist. They are just not as obvious as they once were when life wasn't so convenient.

Hey, look.. I have about 2 mins to eat... Micky D's anyone? j/k

Peace,
Bob

#4658 - 09/30/02 01:36 PM Re: cover cover cover
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
.. speaking of cover, cover, cover, it's not just with music ..... how many tv shows (US, anyway)are just rip-offs of others ex: all the 'reality' and 'survivor' type shows, Law and Order and its 3'cousins' ..... "CSI" now has "CSI:Miami" .... no doubt a lot of originality there .... went to the movie theater with my wife on Sat .... coming soon: "Analize THAT", sequel to "Analize This", and ..... remember "I SPY"? .. well get ready for "I Spy II" with Eddie Murphy...
SHEEESH!!!!!
t.

#4659 - 09/30/02 06:49 PM Re: cover cover cover
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
hah CSI Miami?! Im in oz so we havent caught that off you guys yet..

"its not just with music.. how many tv.."

i think that its not just with media, its with everything..
so when do we stop bitching and start doing? I think if someone rallied everybody that has a beef with the way the world is now we'd have quite the army.

we could buy peru and start our own civilisation.. without all the crap.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online