SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#464927 - 01/21/19 10:24 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I Don’t like it but it’s the norm at most venues. I’m OK as long as the sound is off...

I recently quit performing at a nursing home because whenever I got there the
TV would be blaring. The activities director never seemed to be around and I would be the one who had to turn it off. Some of the more senile residents would get agitated..... I tried to tell them very nicely that I was there to play music for them and I had to turn off the TV, but some of them didn’t want me to interrupt the Gun Smoke” marathon!.... Tuff crowd!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#464950 - 01/21/19 01:41 PM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: montunoman]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
If the TV isn`t switched OFF when you`re about to start playing,
sit down and watch it with the rest of them,I`m sure someone
will soon be tapping you on your shoulder.

#464958 - 01/21/19 02:58 PM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
"You have to really start worrying when they drop down a Cyclone Fence in front of the band on the stage! surprised"

When I first started play out, my drummer got us a gig in a real redneck bar. Our only requirement was to play plenty of Hank Williams. What we didn't know was that there was chicken wire accrossed the stage. Sure enough, about an hour into our gig the fights started, with beer bottles flying everywhere. They liked us alright, but we passed on any more.

#464961 - 01/21/19 03:07 PM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Congrats Bernie. You are truly one of the Blues Brothers.
Keep them dogies rollin', RAWHIDE smile

#464964 - 01/21/19 04:03 PM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: montunoman]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By montunoman
I Don’t like it but it’s the norm at most venues. I’m OK as long as the sound is off...

I recently quit performing at a nursing home because whenever I got there the
TV would be blaring. The activities director never seemed to be around and I would be the one who had to turn it off. Some of the more senile residents would get agitated..... I tried to tell them very nicely that I was there to play music for them and I had to turn off the TV, but some of them didn’t want me to interrupt the Gun Smoke” marathon!.... Tuff crowd!

For a scheduled activity there should be an employee there to run things such as turning off the TV. Stuff like this is one reason I quit. Once I played a place (Nursing home) and they had no employees there at all. One woman was asking me to get her a blanket and I tried to explain as nicely as possible that an aide should be along to help with that, but the woman continued to complain loudly during the rest of the activity. At a later time, the AD called and wanted me back and I said I would not come back and explained why. She agreed with me and said if I returned that she would make sure the activity was properly supervised. And she made good on her word but that was probably the exception.

But yes, turn the TVs off!

#465011 - 01/22/19 10:15 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have been co-existing with TV's for 50 years. One restaurant puts me on the lounge to the left and even with the place for my equipment. The TV is on, behind the bar. Diners at tables with tablecloths eat and can either watch me or the TV, on UK ball game nights.

That's the way it is in "Big Blue" country.

Dealt with Monday night football at a Holiday Inn lounge for 4 years. The way I looked at it, when the football players worked, I didn't have to and I still got paid.

GO TEAM! (Don't follow sports...usually, I didn't even know who was playing).

R.

#465014 - 01/22/19 11:09 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Only had to compete with the TV when I worked the bar circuit, and they kept the volume turned off all the time. Then, of course, there was new year's eve when some damned fool would turn on the TV to watch the ball drop. I played NYE the same location for 15 years and put a stop to the TV by turning off the circuit breaker that fed the TV plug. After a couple years, no one even tried turning it on on NYE. I always turned the breaker back on before leaving to go home.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#465017 - 01/22/19 12:41 PM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Today's New Year's Eve parties people want to see the ball drop in Times Square at midnight... they will put a screen down right in front of the band what alive c c t feed nobody cares about what's going on on the stage it's a whole new world out there on
New Year's Eve... And finally when the screen goes up everybody went home by then...
Guy Lombardo is turning over in his grave!

Edited by Dnj (01/22/19 12:44 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online