SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#464887 - 01/20/19 08:19 PM TV on behind band on stage thoughts?
Dnj Offline

Article was removed from Facebook now.... confused1
Anyway.... Great topic about gigging while they
keep the TV on behind you on the wall on stage in a bar etc,..throughout your show!
so distracting to the band and disrespectful also. mad

Thoughts?

Edited by Dnj (01/21/19 05:55 AM)

#464891 - 01/21/19 01:31 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Link not working

#464893 - 01/21/19 02:56 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
I don't care, I have no need to resort to Facebook.
Ray dance

#464899 - 01/21/19 05:53 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Link not working

bernie somehow it's gone from FB ?
but I posted what it was about..

#464900 - 01/21/19 06:48 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
That happened to me at an Elks club I played every Sunday afternoon. It so happened that a new bartender took over that shift, and would have the TV on when I came in to set up. I pleasantly told him that I started playing at 2:00, and the TV would have to be turned off as it was too distracting. He muttered something and went about his business. I finished setting up and at my scheduled time, I went over to the bar to tell him I was ready, and please turn it off. He said no, he was watching the game. I went back, apologized to the patrons at the tables, packed up and left. That was the last of the animal joints.

#464901 - 01/21/19 06:58 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
That happened to me at an Elks club I played every Sunday afternoon. It so happened that a new bartender took over that shift, and would have the TV on when I came in to set up. I pleasantly told him that I started playing at 2:00, and the TV would have to be turned off as it was too distracting. He muttered something and went about his business. I finished setting up and at my scheduled time, I went over to the bar to tell him I was ready, and please turn it off. He said no, he was watching the game. I went back, apologized to the patrons at the tables, packed up and left. That was the last of the animal joints.

WTG Bernie I can't blame you......
why have music if they are gonna watch the game?

#464902 - 01/21/19 07:07 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
ITs totally disrespectful but has become the norm to have TVs on whild live music is being performed. Its everywhere.
--NYE 2000 - playing in the corner of a restaurant with a TV right over my head ( no sound ) and everyone watching to see what would blow up at midnight.
--Playing with my duo in a bar and the bartender asking us to turn down so he could hear the Hockey Game sound familiar Bernie
--Playing solo Piano in the bar section of an upscale restaurant and the TV over my head is on all night. It was a fill in gig so I didn't say anything, played , got paid, and never went back.
NYE at a place I did for number of years. Had to take a long break around midnight so they could roll out the 6' TV and watch the ball drop in NYC. I didn't care, never liked that night anyway.

#464914 - 01/21/19 09:10 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I played one restaurant for several Saturdays where they had 3 tv's on at bar while we played. Football season. Hated it. Had music playing which one bartender shut off for us first week, following weeks they left it on.. Also had another band come in for the late shift and gave us half hour to get off and tear down. Their fans weren't ours and changed the atmosphere as they came in, and the band hauling their stuff in and stacking it up was a huge distraction. Other than getting paid, the last set was a bad experience. They also had an outside tournament event one day and those people came trudging through the room constantly. We were supposed to be the attraction, and should have been rescheduled for another day. Thankfully they moved us into a dining room the next year. I haven't pursued that client since.

Edited by sparky589 (01/21/19 09:14 AM)

#464921 - 01/21/19 09:58 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: sparky589]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
There are actually a couple of things that come into play in these scenarios ...
Sparky said that his band was supposed to be the attraction, and if that is the case all other 'attractions' should be eliminated ...
The reality is that most of the time - especially in a restaurant setting - the music is an 'add-on' ... perhaps some people are there because they know the person or band that is performing, but most people are there for the food, so we have to 'rein in' our egos and accept that as fact ...
In a lounge/bar setting more often than not there is going to be a TV with some sports game on, especially if it's the local team ... This is the situation even in the upscale Italian restaurant I sometimes sub at ... In the lounge, there is a small TV in a corner, in eyesight of about 95% of the room ... the TV is always on, but the sound is off ...
It's never right for the sound to be on while musicians are playing, because while some may want to WATCH the TV, others may want to HEAR the music ...
One thing that should be known by the musicians at the outset is 'who is in charge of the TV', and whether or not the sound is going to be on ... for the bartender to decide this is improper unless he/she is the manager or proprietor ...

#464924 - 01/21/19 10:12 AM Re: TV on behind band on stage thoughts? [Re: sparky589]
Dnj Offline

You have to really start worrying when they drop down a Cyclone Fence in front of the band on the stage! surprised

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online